• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne got off lightly says Anti-Doping Agency Chief

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
It can boost haemoglobin level or in other words increase your bloods oxygen carrying capacity, thus enabling you to achieve greater tissue metabolism with the same cardiac output .(With the same heart rate and blood perfusion your body can burn more glucose and release more energy, without having to increase your heart rate or increasing blood perfusion.)
With the side effects being strokes etc.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
With the side effects being strokes etc.
As a Medic, I can tell you the risk of this side effect is only theoretical and hardly encountered in clinical usage.
What it can do is increase Blood Pressure, and cause thrombosis of vascular access sites. Again these are only seen if someone uses this excessively (ie. beyond recommended guidelines).
Afterall most Severe Kidney Failure patients are on this and although they have a higher risk of stroke from the underlying renal failure, I don't think use of EPO renders any greater risk of stroke.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
So I'm climbing up the famous Alpe d'Huez in France, and have been on EPO, and it's a hot day, what are likely to happen to me? (ie my health)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
So I'm climbing up the famous Alpe d'Huez in France, and have been on EPO, and it's a hot day, what are likely to happen to me? (ie my health)
*cough*tommysimpson*cough*

Craig

World Traveller
He collapsed, and found alchol and stimulents in his blood.

Although that was Mont Ventoux IIRC.