• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne got off lightly says Anti-Doping Agency Chief

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
If you can't tell the difference between me telling you to bugger off and you calling someone "******" (and I'm still kinda surprised no action was taken over this), I pity you. Quite honestly. And these kind of apologies following a ridiculous explosion like this seem to be becoming a habit for you.

Good to see you've abandoned the ridiculous idea that Wazim and I are the same person though.

In any case, I guess I'll ignore you in future.
Oxford Dictionary reference:

Bugger- One who commits buggery . [ Buggery - Anal intercourse or bestiality]

I suggest you learn more proper "Queen's" English before using words that you don't know the meaning of and trying to preach others or crying foul and screaming for help.
And I am very pleased and ever so grateful that you have chosen to ignore my posts in the future. Thanks a million.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Just to conclude this:

JASON - living in Victoria, Australia, you know damn well that "bugger off" is a colloquialism (in Britain too, now that you bring up the "Queen's" English) for "get lost", and this usage doesn't have anything to do with bestiality. And in lecturing me that I don't properly understand the word's meaning, I'm more than sure that you're aware of what I meant by it (otherwise, this lecture is somewhat moot). Calling someone a ******, ni**er, etcis quite different. One day I hope you'll understand this.

Anyhow, 'nuff said.

PY

International Coach
JASON said:
I suggest you learn more proper "Queen's" English before using words that you don't know the meaning of and trying to preach others or crying foul and screaming for help.
I can tell you for a fact that 'bugger' (apologies to everyone that this word is continually being used) is not part of "Queen's English".

Anyway, last post about Warne was about 2 pages ago, not even going to try going back on-topic. :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Doping in sports

Does any one know of other sports people who were convicted of taking diuretics and how long their bans were for? I am sure some athletes in the past must have got caught to diuretics and got banned.

Two days ago I was surprised to read in a newspaper that FIFA (the Soccer governing body) has signed up with WADA only now. I wonder if ICC has signed with WADA for regular testing of cricketers or is it following its own disorganised testing regime ?
If cricket wants to maintain its clean image I think it should sign-up with WADA soon and not allow future controversies to arise in a way similar to Warnie.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bulgarian Weightlifters - 2000 Olympics.

Stripped of their medals and booted out.

Whole team banned for 12 months

biased indian

International Coach
Shane warne will end up with atleast one world record(if it is one) for sure :p :p

As the first cricket to be banned for taking drugs :D :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
koch_cha said:
Shane warne will end up with atleast one world record(if it is one) for sure :p :p

As the first cricket to be banned for taking drugs :D :D
If you looked at the rest of this thread, you'd realise he's not the first by any distance.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Plenty of cylists and teams, I'm sure.
Jan Ullrich if I IIRC, the late Marco Pantani, Kelme, some members of the Cofidis Organisation, and the farce that happened to Lance Armstrong and the US Postal Service (USPS) team after the Sydney Olympics...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Doping in cricket

The Diuretic Shane Warne used was called Moduretic . I have read an article today that says using 'Diuretics' clears all other drugs in your system by flushing them out and diluting them thus preventing their detection. Apparently this is what Bulgarian weight lifters did.

What about all those cricketers who get steroid injection under the pretext of back pains and knee pains etc.? Is that allowed ? Does that not fall within the performance enhancing drug category ?

There are lot of powerful Medicines available today, which are being used widely by track and field athletes, swimmers and other sports people, such as EPO etc. I think it is time for the ICC to ensure that cricket is clean of drugs by setting up regular testing program for Test cricketers . This may be particularly relevant when some cricketers get injured and go out for a while,ie 6 months to 1 year etc., and then come back fitter and raring to go. The temptation to use some of these agents to help recover from injury quicker must be difficult to resist. There is anecdotal evidence of sportsmen and women using performance enhancing agents while they are injured or taking a break and then 'clean up' (from drugs) before coming back better and stronger and being undetectable.

I think ICC should take the iniative now before its too late and sign up with WADA or set up its own regular drug screening program for Test cricketers, to ensure that the game we love remains clean.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steroid injections (cortisone) are permitted as they are not performance-enhancing and remain local to the injury, i.e. they are non-systemic.

Regular drug testing is not the answer (it will help, though) - but out-of-competition testing is. By its very nature, the tester can turn up on your doorstep and demand a urine sample.

You're preaching to the converted here, JASON. I agree that the game has to be seen to be clean.

Craig

World Traveller
I do not see the logic a cricketer would take a drug. I mean you wont turn the ball anymore if you turn the ball heaps or not, you probably wont bowl any faster (not a biomachinics expert), hit the ball any further or throw the ball any harder or further.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I do not see the logic a cricketer would take a drug. I mean you wont turn the ball anymore if you turn the ball heaps or not, you probably wont bowl any faster (not a biomachinics expert), hit the ball any further or throw the ball any harder or further.
I agree with not being able turn the ball any more. But not about any faster. Afterall track athletes use it to run faster.
Apart from this I think drugs in cricket can help endurance, ie in terms of sustaining energy levels and performance through the five days of a Test match.
Afterall most Tests are decided(between closely matched Teams) on second innings performances or performance between 3rd to 5th days (and more so on the performance on the final day).

I am sure the available performance enhancing drugs can help cricketers perform better on these crucial days (3rd to 5th days) when the non-drug taking colleague or opposition's performance may start to wear a little with exhaustion.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I could make a wonderful case for cricketers taking drugs (there isn't an aspect of a player's game that couldn't be improved by beta-blockers, for a start).

There's a lot of strength and fitness work involved in training - mmmmm, those 'roids are good eatin'.

PY

International Coach
Would add an interesting twist to international sport if all drug-taking were to be legalised. Would add another part of a training regime........what drug conconction causes to your body to be the most powerful but also sustain your body without packing it in.

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
There are lot of powerful Medicines available today, which are being used widely by track and field athletes, swimmers and other sports people, such as EPO etc.
The only good thing EPO is good for is if you suffer massive blood loss (ie a deep cut) or have different forms of cancer and got dianogsed late.

It's cycling's biggest no-no.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
The only good thing EPO is good for is if you suffer massive blood loss (ie a deep cut) or have different forms of cancer and got dianogsed late.

It's cycling's biggest no-no.
It can boost haemoglobin level or in other words increase your bloods oxygen carrying capacity, thus enabling you to achieve greater tissue metabolism with the same cardiac output .(With the same heart rate and blood perfusion your body can burn more glucose and release more energy, without having to increase your heart rate or increasing blood perfusion.)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Would add an interesting twist to international sport if all drug-taking were to be legalised. Would add another part of a training regime........what drug conconction causes to your body to be the most powerful but also sustain your body without packing it in.
Yes, such a thing exists - it's called the Tour de France