• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Kohli better than Ponting?

Shri

Mr. Glass
One didn't get out of being Harbhajan's bunny at the bowler's home but the other fixed his record against Anderson at his home.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's still played about half the number of matches Ponting did though. Take away his last 30 odd and his average balloons up.. Comparable peaks for sure.

SillyCowCorner1

Kohli yet to play a hit a century in a world cup final.

Ponting's won more matches than Kohli.

So punt> king kali

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If this is a serious discussion and not a troll thread, then please specify which format. Your original post seems to refer to the context of Test cricket (Anderson vs Kohli, Ponting vs Harbhajan) but people are bringing up World Cups.

Last edited:

Burgey

You’ve been here long enough to know that unless the OP specifies another format then it’s always tests under discussion.

Flem274*

123/5
my personal favourite kohli memory is him getting out to wagner in the close chase of the first test before scoring face saving wanker runs when the game was a certain draw in the second

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ftr, had to throw in WC's

Your tryna cumpare these two, then include everything under the sun.

**** sake

They're actually very different conversations with very different metrics. E.g Tendulkar is clearly a better batsman than Lara in ODIs. In Tests, the conversation is very different.

When formats are combined and compared at the same time, you usually end up with the hot takes that dumb Indian fans come up with on social media

They acknowledge that Smith is better than Kohli in Tests but then combine the formats and come up with

Total centuries in all 3 formats
Kohli 25 + 38 + 0= 63
Smith 23 + 8 + 0 = 31

So overall Kohli > Smith

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

my personal favourite kohli memory is him getting out to wagner in the close chase of the first test before scoring face saving wanker runs when the game was a certain draw in the second
India were 10-2 and probably would've collapsed to 80 allout if it weren't for the king.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have thought it would be the dolly he dropped of BMac in 2014 that allowed the latter to score a face and match saving triple

Burgey

My favourite Kohli moments are the series over there last year when he averaged about three.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli has never scored a hundred to win Australia a test match, so Ponting by a country mile.