• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

#1 Tactic for playing ODI's against England.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Win the toss. Field first.

Vaughan has won 10/10 of the games where England has fielded first.
Vaughan has lost 6/6 of the games where England has batted first.

I'm not really sure about what this says about his captaincy skills, if anything, but I found it pretty damn interesting. Any idead of why this would happen?

Kent

State 12th Man
England have a number of talented but naturally conservative batsman? The have bowlers who struggle at the death as much as NZ, only they don't have anyone with Kyle Mills' determination?

To be honest I'm just guessing, because I hardly ever get to see much of England's ODI play. I'm guessing the likes of Trescothick and Flintoff can probably cut down on the brain fades when they know exactly what's required.

biased indian

International Coach
Loony BoB said:

I'm not really sure about what this says about his captaincy skills, if anything, but I found it pretty damn interesting. Any idead of why this would happen?
i can make only one thing out of it
Englnad are good at chasing and Bad and defending :D :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:

not really....i think on most of those occasions the pitches have gotten better to bat on in the 2nd innings. and generally on extremely flat wickets(assuming conditions remain the same throughout the match) its always better to know your total and play accordingly as we saw in the ind v pak encounter in lahore.
of course, tresco has been a major factor in this too, it seems that on most of the occasions that england have won tresco has got them off to a flyer. tresco batting 2nd seems to pace himself perfectly so that those coming down the order dont have too much difficulty with the RRR.

Rich2001

International Captain
koch_cha said:
i can make only one thing out of it
Englnad are good at chasing and Bad and defending :D :D
Your pretty much on the mark there, I would add:

- England have a young side and not got the experiance to defend yet... they buckle under pressure etc

- The bowlers can bowl well but being inexperianced they can over try and be hit for a few and when that happens they don't always know how to respond.

- The bowling isn't as strong as the batting, there isn't a wicket-taker in the side anymore... Fred is a run stopper, Giles when was his last wicket?, Clarke umm, Anderson is hit or miss, Gough see Anderson.

- In response to the comment at the top a toss can be a major factor in the outcome of a game, you can't question Vaughan's captain ablities if all of those 6 games lost he lost the toss too.

Your getting the idea here, I'll stop.