• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 World Test XI

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like how Karunaratne's position as an opener is uncontested thus far. He's been all class. Played the innings of the year too. There's a dearth of openers otherwise. Elgar hasn't had a stellar year, nor did Cook. Azhar was terrible. Warner was banned. Latham was so so.

Karunaratne, Pujara, Kohli, Williamson, Shakib, Watling, Holder, Rabada, Lyon, and Anderson. Bums me leave Abbas out but Jimmy has done well. He was ****e away as usual though so Abbas is close.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Abbas has done enough to be there over Anderson for me. Both have had a series there struggled in but Jimmy needs to get in over someone else.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There are tons of seamers with great years in 2018 which is good to see. Anderson's been great but I wouldn't worry too much about leaving him out given he's only taken one five-for. If you wanna talk about dominating home performances why not Mohammed Abbas with three fives and a ten in seven test matches.

Not convinced about Lyon even though he's had two very good tests at home, because that's kinda it. The Bangladesh spinners have been cleaning up at home too. Maharaj outbowled him in SA, and then took his wickets at 24 in Sri Lanka, so I'd be tempted to pick him.

On the batting Virat Kohli is a must pick but it's notable that a few years ago there would have been half a dozen players getting 1000 runs at 50+ and now there's only one. And a bit before that you had to pick between the half dozen batsmen who were all averaging 70.

The opening options are by far the weakest and alongside Karunaratne you have to pick between an okayish number 3 (Khawaja), and even more okayish opener (Markram/Elgar) and a bloke who had one innings (Latham). I've gone for the former. Middle order would be pretty sparse too without the NZers just about remembering to play cricket again in November.

There aren't really any batting allrounder performances but two excellent bowling allround years (Curran and Holder) make up for it. Keepers are obviously a bit of a toss up as the ones who played the best generally played less than four games, so I'm not feeling too guilty about picking Foakes, as he's actually had an impact as a wicketkeeper as well as a batsman.

Karunaratne
Khawaja
Williamson
Kohli (capt)
Nicholls
Foakes
Curran
Holder
Maharaj
Abbas
Rabada

About half that list would make the 'most improved' that we used to do on the podcast:

Karunaratne
Finch
Kohli
Nicholls
Buttler
Azam
Dowrich
Holder
Rashid
Sharma
Abbas

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Karunaratne
Khawaja
Williamson
Kohli
AB de Villiers
Nichols
Rahim
Holder
Rabada
Lyon
Abbas

Karunaratne is the only opener who can legitimately be argued to have had a very good year imo. Khawaja played his best innings from the opening spot so he slots in. I can barely remember how Williamson looks at this point but that one series in uae was so amazing that he gets in. Kohli an automatic pick since he's looked the best batsman by a mile in every series he's played this year (almost all of them in low scoring overseas series).

I kinda get why people aren't picking de villiers but he played 7 tests this year, which is more than some other players in the xi. In the two series he did play he had some of the best knocks of his career and was vital to both wins. I'd rather pick him than Root who was kinda meh all year except for one great ton.

Yasir, Anderson and Curran a bit hard done by but you could say that for a lot of bowlers this year.

Last edited:

morgieb

Karunaratne
Mendis
Williamson
Kohli
Nicholls
Buttler
Paine
Holder
Maharaj
Rabada
Abbas

Mendis scored two tons opening this year and averages 47 overall, I think his selection makes sense. Khawaja’s been pretty quiet outside of that Test he had in the UAE, ditto Latham and the double at the Basin, and Markram and Elgar only average mid-30’s so it’s not like the competition is great.

Williamson and Kohli are obvious. Nicholls kinda is too, has played some really important knocks this year. #6 is more interesting. Babar Azam had the best average but can’t help but think his knocks weren’t influential enough. Monimul managed 4 tons this year but Bangladesh seemed to largely only play weaker opposition this year, and he failed on the tour to the WIndies. No good Top 6 all-rounders stood out, same applies for wicket-keepers so I find it hard to slot both Holder and Curran in. AB did score lots of runs but it just feels wrong to pick someone who retired in March. So I’m going Buttler, who’s knocks seemed to come in tougher circumstances than Azam.

Keeper is really tough. Foakes only had one series. Mushy only played 4 Tests which doesn’t feel like enough. So I guess that leaves Paine, Watling an Dowrich. Paine is a bit of a biased call I admit but given the circumstances around Australian cricket this year he’s done a very admirable job in really tough circumstances.

Seam bowling picks itself I think. Lots of HM’s though - Anderson, Gabriel, Southee, Morkel (with the AB caveat), Cummins, Curran, Sharma and Bumrah would all not look out of place at all.

Spin is tougher as too many of them have only really done the business at home. Lyon’s selections reeks of recency bias, he was pretty poor in South Africa and to a lesser extent the UAE. Speaking of the UAE the pitches there were generally rather flat this year so Yasir could make perfect sense, but a lack of Tests count against him. I’m going Maharaj as he’s had the most variety of conditions he’s bowled in.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Usman KHAWAJA
2 Dimuth KARUNARATNE
3 Kane WILLIAMSON
4 Virat KOHLI
5 AB DE VILLIERS
6 Tim PAINE
7 Jason HOLDER
8 Sam CURRAN
9 Kagiso RABADA
10 Nathan LYON
11 Mohammad ABBAS

I dont mind leaving out Anderson as Abbas and Rabada were terrific and I like the all roundness of having both Holder and Curran in the XI since number 6 is weak (behind 3 great bats mind you).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lyon has taken 48 wickets this year despite playing in largely unfriendly conditions.

Rabada and Cummins are both averaging low 20s and taking 5 wpm. Abbas has been even better.

It's hard to go past Paine as keeper. He's been consistent and made some really important runs. Pant has averaged slightly higher but I really don't rate his batting.

The top 6 is hard. It's been a bad year for batsmen.

Karunaratne has been the stand out opener. Kane Williams, Kohli and de Villiers are locks. That leaves another opener and a middle order bat.

Mendis and Nicholls are both fighting for the middle order spot. Mendis had a weight of runs on his side but I think Nicholls has been slightly better.

Mendis had actually scored a decent chunk of his runs opening and there are no other stands outs so I'll go with him.

Karunaratne
Mendis
Williams
Kohli
De Villiers
Nicholls
Paine (wk) (c)
Cummins
Rabada
Abbas
Lyon

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Curran over rated on here. 14 wickets in 7 tests in mostly favourable conditions is nothing to write home about. He's probably being picked for his batting but I'd take bowlers taking 5 wpm over ones taking 2 wpm any day of the week.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Usman KHAWAJA
2 Dimuth KARUNARATNE
3 Kane WILLIAMSON
4 Virat KOHLI
5 AB DE VILLIERS
6 Tim PAINE
7 Jason HOLDER
8 Pat CUMMINS
9 Kagiso RABADA
10 Nathan LYON
11 Mohammad ABBAS

I dont mind leaving out Anderson as Abbas and Rabada were terrific and I like the all roundness of having both Holder and Curran in the XI since number 6 is weak (behind 3 great bats mind you).
Convinced me. Curran gone for Pat

trundler

Lyon has taken 48 wickets this year despite playing in largely unfriendly conditions.

Rabada and Cummins are both averaging low 20s and taking 5 wpm. Abbas has been even better.

It's hard to go past Paine as keeper. He's been consistent and made some really important runs. Pant has averaged slightly higher but I really don't rate his batting.

The top 6 is hard. It's been a bad year for batsmen.

Karunaratne has been the stand out opener. Kane Williams, Kohli and de Villiers are locks. That leaves another opener and a middle order bat.

Mendis and Nicholls are both fighting for the middle order spot. Mendis had a weight of runs on his side but I think Nicholls has been slightly better.

Mendis had actually scored a decent chunk of his runs opening and there are no other stands outs so I'll go with him.

Karunaratne
Mendis
Williams
Kohli
De Villiers
Nicholls
Paine (wk) (c)
Cummins
Rabada
Abbas
Lyon
Misspelled Williamson not once but twice. Unforgivable.