• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why no non-Ashes tours to Australia between 1953–54 and 1961–62?

Julien

Cricket Spectator
One thing I have long noticed is that, excluding the Ashes tours of 1954–55 and 1958–59, there were no Test tours to Australia in the nine seasons from 1953–54 to 1961–62 inclusive.

Whilst this fact is not new to me, I have wondered what the explanation for there being no non-MCC tours of Australia in this period was. I have considered possibilities like:
  1. Financial losses from first-class cricket in Australia due to declining attendances caused by such factors as:
    • an increasing number of rival attraction to cricket being available with the growth of the family car as transport
    • replacement of attacking spin bowling by intimidatory pace or defensive medium-paced seam styles, so that the game was less attractive
  2. Nations other than England not being able to afford tours to Australia due to such factors as transport costs and overvalued exchange rates
  3. Lack of time to schedule tours whilst fitting in with Australian tours abroad during the local (southern summer) season
That these factors alone can explain the absence of non-Ashes Test tours to Australia during the period from 1954 to 1961, however, is not convincing. This is especially true of the “exchange rate” hypothesis, given that currency overvaluation was far more marked in New Zealand than in Australia, yet a West Indies team did tour New Zealand in 1955–56.

If anybody can elaborate on why non team other than England organised a Test tour to Australia between 1953–54 and 1961–62, I would be most grateful.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
  • Money
  • Travel times and travel costs - I think teams still traveled by ships to Australia which was slow and expensive.
  • India / Pakistan / South Africa / New Zealand seasons overlap with Australia's Cricket Season. To tour Australia meant missing most of there own Cricket season

English tours of Australia make a lot of sense:
  • Its England's off season
  • England was a proven money spinner, the others where not.

a massive zebra

International Captain
  • Travel times and travel costs - I think teams still traveled by ships to Australia which was slow and expensive.
From a book review by Martin:

Martin Chandler said:
The first team of English cricketers to tour Australia departed from Liverpool in 1861 aboard the SS Great Britain. The voyage took two months. Almost a century later, in September 1958, the last England team to travel to Australia wholly by sea took 16 days to complete the journey. Four years later in 1962 Ted Dexter’s side flew to Aden, then part of the British Empire but now in Yemen, before sailing on to Australia aboard the SS Canberra. Cricketers touring Australia and New Zealand have, since then, always travelled by air.

Julien

Cricket Spectator
In 1950/51 England just about broke even, and West Indies lost money in 1951/52
Thanks for that – no surprise the West Indies lost money as that tour saw the beginnings of intimidatory fast bowling which the West Indies were themselves to perfect a quarter of a century later.

I would guess that, even with a spinner like Tayfield potentially an attraction eminently worth watching, and less intimidatory bowling, South Africa also lost money in 1952–53?

There are two issues I have related to the break in non-Ashes tours to Australia between 1953–54 and 1961–62:

1. Were the non-Ashes tours of India in 1947–48 and West Indies in 1951–52 (or even South Africa in 1952–53) viewed in any sense as “experimental”?
  2. We're any tours to Australia from 1953–54 to 1961–62 planned as of (say) the end of the 1950–51 season but cancelled due to belief they would lose money?
    • I was thinking of a second tour by India, or tours by South Africa, the West Indies or even Pakistan

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would guess that, even with a spinner like Tayfield potentially an attraction eminently worth watching, and less intimidatory bowling, South Africa also lost money in 1952–53?
Actually no - they were at one point going to call the whole thing off but the South Africans decided they'd just take the loss because they thought their cricket was in desperate need of the series even if they picked up a drubbing - as you'll know they did however draw it 2-2 and on one of the days of the final Test there were almost 50,000 in the ground and in the end they took home a profit of £3k - the WIndies had lost £4k