• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hobbs or Hammond

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Who do you all think was the better player, Jack Hobbs or Wally Hammond?

IMO I think that whilst both were great players (and both are in my best ever Test XI), in the end though I reckon that Hobbs though was the better player.

Swervy

International Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:

IMO I think that whilst both were great players (and both are in my best ever Test XI), in the end though I reckon that Hobbs though was the better player.
how do you know

tooextracool

International Coach
Ford_GTHO351 said:

i dont think too many people have seen either of them play, so its hard to pick someone ahead of the other.

Swervy

International Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:
How do people know that Bradman was good :)

Well I made my decison after having looked at various articles and stats.
it is one thing to judge how good Bradman was based on his astounding averagesetc, but to compare two players with comparatively similar averages,statistcs and come to a conclusion as to who was best, is another thing all together...especially as Hobbs and Hammond were two different kinds of players who played most of their cricket in different eras

PY

International Coach
Averaged the same but Hobbs was around for a very long time preserving that average.

I think he's allowed to say Hobbs as he has scored 197/199 FC centuries.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I would say Hammond was better because their batting was of a similar world-class standard but he could also bowl and field, unlike Hobbs.

Sudeep

International Captain
Both are greats.

Impossible to compare two players whom we haven't seen play.

Hobbs might have been a better batsman, as his stats say. While Hammond might have been a better all-round player. So...

Can't really say.