• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New feature: Zero to Sixty; Important Runs in Test Cricket

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Good read.

I will however stop at average in important innings and not consider difference between important and regular innings averages. That latter number penalizes a batsman who did as well in regular innings as in important ones. That should make one a better batsman not worse for same level important innings average.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great read, top work.

It's easy to look at Ponting's average and forget just how ridiculously good he was. He was a run machine whose average suffered dramatically by playing on past when his eye went.

And it was his eye going, since when he returned to shield cricket after retirement he averaged 100, suggesting it was simply that age had diminished his reflexes somewhat.
Does that actually prove that though?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does that actually prove that though?
No.

I imagine that Ponting's early career batting at 5 was where many of his unimportant innings came from. He was coming in behind some other very good batsmen and didn't do very well there (by his standards). This probably has helped him a bit in this analysis.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Kallis, maybe yes. I'd guess many of Border's regular innings would be of the nothing to lose flavour, which considering the effect of ridicule for Australia at the time might well count as important too.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There is nothing called not important or important runs. Just relative importance of runs.

Borges

International Regular
Apparently the overwhelming majority of the runs scored (close to three fourths of all runs) turn out to be very important runs.

I'm somewhat sceptical about these results; for instance I do not think that most people would agree with the conclusion that the Lesser AB was a notorious downhill skier.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Good read.

I will however stop at average in important innings and not consider difference between important and regular innings averages. That latter number penalizes a batsman who did as well in regular innings as in important ones. That should make one a better batsman not worse for same level important innings average.
Wasn't my intention to suggest a batsman is better in that regard, simply for comparison purposes. When I summarise all batsmen I'll note e.g. batsmen who averaged over 50 for both.

For example, suppose Bradman had turned out to be 90 for important innings and 110 for regular, I wouldn't for a moment suggest that makes him lesser than a batsman who averaged 50 in important innings and 30 in regular innings. Nonetheless, I think the comparison is an interesting one.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do not think that most people would agree with the conclusion that the Lesser AB was a notorious downhill skier.
I thought that was just accepted fact tbh, I don't think it should take away from how good a player he is but a lot of his runs seemed to come when SA were already in a comfortable situation

the big bambino

International Captain
Really surprising. He is behind Jayawardene by a massive margin despite more career runs for the same team batting higher up the order. Sanga must be the anti-ponting on this list
I guess we can appreciate the greatness of Ponting without diminishing his reputation on the basis of a distorted differential in his away v home averages.

Bolo

State Captain
I guess we can appreciate the greatness of Ponting without diminishing his reputation on the basis of a distorted differential in his away v home averages.
Feel free to give Ponting props. But not by looking at an error in Sangas stats after it has been shown as such. Or by pretending Pontings home away difference isn't important- the circumstances that contributed to it are significantly responsible for his high placement, demonstrable through the records of most bats we are seeing.

the big bambino

International Captain
Feel free to give Ponting props. But not by looking at an error in Sangas stats after it has been shown as such. Or by pretending Pontings home away difference isn't important- the circumstances that contributed to it are significantly responsible for his high placement, demonstrable through the records of most bats we are seeing.
Don't know about the first part but the circumstances around the second have been explained to you. Without wishing to start up an old issue, there is nothing wrong with actually admitting you got something wrong once in while. Instead of finding justifications as to why it isn't you but its the evidence that must be wrong.

Last edited: