• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Blatant Chucker Of The Cricket Ball

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Compare the reaction of Benaud, who was Meckiff’s skipper when he was called by a home umpire and immediately removed him from the attack for the whole match, and the disgraceful Ranatunga when Murali was called, who spat his dummy and then tried bowling him from the other end. WAC he is.
Get your facts right Burgey. It was proven that Murali's action was legal, and it was simply an illusion. Plus on such circumstances calling Murali was uncalled for, and Ranatunge did the right thing. Ranatunge had proper balls, to stand against Aussies who were preying on the brown cricketers.

Subsequent Australia cricketers have had lot of respect to Murali. Hayden, S Waugh etc. Muralitharan never chucked, it was an obsession to destroy the career of the prodigy spinner, who would then go on to become the greatest spinner in world cricket.

So learn from the facts. Arjuna deserves a lot of credit, and Murali is indebted to him.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mural's bending was found to be an illusion to the pint where he wasn merely bending somewhat less that what people thought. Ranatunga was throwing the toys out of the pram for the umpires interpreting the law correctly as it stood at the time. He should've taken it up after the match. It wasn't an obsession to destroy one career, those umpires had called other bowlers in Australia, it was trying to reduce a growing problem.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mural's bending was found to be an illusion to the pint where he wasn merely bending somewhat less that what people thought. Ranatunga was throwing the toys out of the pram for the umpires interpreting the law correctly as it stood at the time. He should've taken it up after the match. It wasn't an obsession to destroy one career, those umpires had called other bowlers in Australia, it was trying to reduce a growing problem.
Ranatunga called the shots when a leg break from Murali was no-balled by Ross Emerson. What ever we saw during that tour looked otherwise.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Compare the reaction of Benaud, who was Meckiff’s skipper when he was called by a home umpire and immediately removed him from the attack for the whole match, and the disgraceful Ranatunga when Murali was called, who spat his dummy and then tried bowling him from the other end. WAC he is.
I would have loved to see Benaud's reaction if a leg break bowler was called for throwing (which Ross Emerson did for Murali when he bowled a leg break). That would have been an ATG moment.

cnerd123

likes this
urgh on thread has already been hijacked to talk about Murali (and has slid into nationalistic ****posting in the process), can we not do it in this thread too please.

It was actually quite interesting already.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would have loved to see Benaud's reaction if a leg break bowler was called for throwing (which Ross Emerson did for Murali when he bowled a leg break). That would have been an ATG moment.
Emerson was a grandstander. Murali has been cleared by then. I’m talking about when Hair called him, which is what led to the testing regime to begin with.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Get your facts right Burgey. It was proven that Murali's action was legal, and it was simply an illusion. Plus on such circumstances calling Murali was uncalled for, and Ranatunge did the right thing. Ranatunge had proper balls, to stand against Aussies who were preying on the brown cricketers.

Subsequent Australia cricketers have had lot of respect to Murali. Hayden, S Waugh etc. Muralitharan never chucked, it was an obsession to destroy the career of the prodigy spinner, who would then go on to become the greatest spinner in world cricket.

So learn from the facts. Arjuna deserves a lot of credit, and Murali is indebted to him.
An obsession? Mate I don’t think you realise the special place SL tours had (and still have) in Australia.

If you think anyone in CA thought that having them here in the mid 90s was anything other than a necessary imposition in between tours by decent sides you’re kidding yourself. Like, the only reason anyone even thinks about a tour by SL to Australia is Murali being called. I mean, he averaged 70 here, as I’ve said before. He was the greatest touring disappointment in cricket history when he came here ffs.

That aside, they have always been complete non-events because they are never competitive here.

No captain gets respect for spitting the dummy at an umpire or taking his team off the field or threatening to go home (Except illingworth in Sydney in 71). What a ****ing joke to suggest ranatunga is a hero for having a dummy spit at a decision by an umpire. He’s nothing but a fat, petulant, spoilt child.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Usual piss. Rules were changed to accommodate McGrath and Pollock, because they were extending it more than Murali.
No they weren't.

Jim Higgs has been called afaik. And there was dissatisfaction over Kerry O'Keefe's action from some places too.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jim Higgs has been called afaik. And there was dissatisfaction over Kerry O'Keefe's action from some places too.
Don't know about Higgs. O'Keefe is a left arm spinner. Not a wrist spinner. You can still call a front of the hand delivery of a wrist spinner. Calling a classic over the wrist wrist spinner for chucking, that is extending.

Starfighter

Yes they were. Murali was no where close to 12 degrees with his off break.
I'll need a source for both the '12' and the 'nowhere near' which (preferably one which doesn't contradict like two I have, one of which claims just about no extension at all for Murali and the other 14° mean for the doosra) is not the 9° determined in a paper I have.

Don't know about Higgs. O'Keefe is a left arm spinner. Not a wrist spinner. You can still call a front of the hand delivery of a wrist spinner. Calling a classic over the wrist wrist spinner for chucking, that is extending.
Kerry O'Keeffe.