• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many runs?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at Ben Stokes in the 2015 Lords ODI for a blatant example of handling the ball. He was sent on his way and rightly so.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Six wides might be vaugely possible if you are Jeff Thomson type pace on a 70s or 80s WACA deck, but even then I have my doubts

cnerd123

likes this
What if it's a wide and the batsmen run 5 ****
This reminds me - if the batsmen hit the ball into the outfield, and run 5 before it crosses the boundary, they'll be credited with 5 runs not 4.

Seems like common sense, but it's actually explicitly stated in the laws, which is nice to see. Also the over-throw law kicks in if a fielder chucks it over the rope trying to keep the batsmen to less runs (or keep a certain batsman on strike)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This reminds me - if the batsmen hit the ball into the outfield, and run 5 before it crosses the boundary, they'll be credited with 5 runs not 4.

Seems like common sense, but it's actually explicitly stated in the laws, which is nice to see. Also the over-throw law kicks in if a fielder chucks it over the rope trying to keep the batsmen to less runs (or keep a certain batsman on strike)
huh news to me

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Nah what you do is dive and let your momentum carry you to the boundary. Or "accidentally" touch the line with your foot.

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87m2d6cV4F0 indicates a team is not required to appeal for an out. If so, that raises this hypothetical: Batsman hits fly that is caught by the bowler who notices the partner is out of his ground and then runs him out. Does the fielding side have the option to appeal only the run out?

Is there a difference in this case as between what the written rules allow and the unwritten spirit of the game rules?