• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell vs Wally Hammond

Better Test Batsman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno. Hammond had known weaknesses on the leg side and against short bowling while I think Chappell was more rounded.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Both these are from different generations; But I admire Hammond for hitting more sixes than Greg :ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both exceptional players of their generation who were over shadowed by Bradman (definitely) and Richards (arguably).respectively

trundler

Chappell's roundedness is a bit overstated. He didn't play that much in the subcontinent though he did well in the opportunities he was given. Neither really strike one as an alpha, unlike their more celebrated peers.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Chappell's roundedness is a bit overstated. He didn't play that much in the subcontinent though he did well in the opportunities he was given. Neither really strike one as an alpha, unlike their more celebrated peers.
In what way? From what I understand they were both pretty forceful personalities, both on and off the field.

trundler

I meant they weren't really as dominating compared to Bradman or Viv. As batsmen.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm talking technique wise.

flibbertyjibber

Both exceptional players of their generation who were over shadowed by Bradman (definitely) and Richards (arguably).respectively
This, hard to call it not having seen much of Hammond. Both clearly great players, happy to get splinters in bum on this one.

Slifer

International Captain
I meant they weren't really as dominating compared to Bradman or Viv. As batsmen.
I'm as west Indian as they come and even I would have no real issue with greg Chappell being ranked above sir viv. Greg was that good. And I'm an unashamed viv fanatic

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, you’re comparing them to the man who literally has everyone dominated for his career and the man who had one of the best batting peaks in history.

Who was the better player of spin between the 2?
I would tend towards Hammond, simply because he played better spinners and was pretty successful. Similarly Chappell was most likely a better player of pace.