• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbajan Singh vs Saqlain Mushtaq

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saqqy.

Da Nang Hooker : Me sucky-sucky. Me love you too much.

Private Joker : Five dollars is all my mom allows me to spend.

Da Nang Hooker : Okay. Ten dollar each.

Private Joker : What do we get for ten dollars?

Da Nang Hooker : Every t'ing you want.

Private Joker : Everything?

Da Nang Hooker : Every t'ing.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Saqlain.

It's a disater for cricket he did not receive proper medical care for his knees.

Zinzan

Saqlain a far superior white-ball bowler (obviously), and a slightly better Test bowler (imo).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
All votes going to Saqlain so far, but I think Harbhajan has more test winning performances to his name than Saqlain. Also has the greatest series for a bowler ever in test cricket. It's not that straightforward. Harbhajan can be argued to have had the better overall test career than Saqlain.

In ODIs, it's no contest obviously. Saqlain revolutionized the role of spinners in limited overs being that rare breed of spin bowlers who were given death over responsibilities and also given last over often in a tight chase.

OverratedSanity

In ODIs, it's no contest obviously. Saqlain revolutionized the role of spinners in limited overs being that rare breed of spin bowlers who were given death over responsibilities and also given last over often in a tight chase.

J_C

U19 Captain
Saqlain was the better bowler in both formats (more so in ODIs) but I think Dartbhajan had a better Test career and a better peak as well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On the question of peak, they both don't seem to rate very highly on ICC ratings. Neither cracked 800 points ever in their careers in test. Even peak ODI rating for Saqlain is surprisingly low at 805, but I have observed rating distribution of ODI bowler ratings is left shifted compared to batting one.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither of them got daddy spells that others got. And Garner, Hadlee, Pollock and Murali were extremely mean when it comes to giving away runs. So it may be combination of low ER, consistency and really big spells once in a while.

For the same reason, Lasith malinga haven't even cracked 700, despite being one of the best death bowlers ever, and Vaas cracking 862, because he had low ER, consistent, and did put in the daddy spells in.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Saqlain but I rarely saw any spinner get on a roll like Harbhajan did in 2001.

subshakerz

International Coach
All votes going to Saqlain so far, but I think Harbhajan has more test winning performances to his name than Saqlain. Also has the greatest series for a bowler ever in test cricket. It's not that straightforward. Harbhajan can be argued to have had the better overall test career than Saqlain.

Well Saqlain took two consecutive 10-fers in India which is a pretty significant achievement.

Harbajan having more match-winning performances may have more to do with playing twice as many matches and not having to compete with Wasim, Waqar and Mushtaq who were all match-winners themselves.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Saqlain took two consecutive 10-fers in India which is a pretty significant achievement.

Harbajan having more match-winning performances may have more to do with playing twice as many matches and not having to compete with Wasim, Waqar and Mushtaq who were all match-winners themselves.
That performance for me is a platinum performance by a spinner, and Saqlain is peerless in achieving such a significant feat (may be only thing coming close is Murali annihilating India in a ODI taking 7/30). And Harbhajan never bowled to a lineup as good as Indian lineup in late 90s.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yeah, ****ing superb. The 10 at Chennai especially was an amazing game. Just checked the card and was reminded that Sachin got player of the match when he ****ing holed out with something like 20 to get and India lost. Saqqi wuz robbed, batsman's game, etc.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, ****ing superb. The 10 at Chennai especially was an amazing game. Just checked the card and was reminded that Sachin got player of the match when he ****ing holed out with something like 20 to get and India lost. Saqqi wuz robbed, batsman's game, etc.
Afridi's ton was superb as well. Great game, that one. Was fortunate enough to be there for day 4. Tears aside it was great fun.