• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Front Foot No-Balls

srbhkshk

International Captain
In the technology part imo peple are missing the fact that the bowler *is* allowed to cross the crease, he just can't do it while he has the bowl in his hand - the equipment needs to be synced to that too (far harder I'd imagine).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just set up a red light camera on the crease line. Problem solved
Nah. Next thing you know the Vic or Qld governments have imposed a 60 km/h bowling speed limit because someone who's never played cricket and knows nothing about it has produced 'research' and a model from Swedish theories claiming that any faster is unsafe, backed by the complaints of the guy living above the 7-11 on the corner of Wellington and Powlett.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There isn't actually any technology available that can be effectively put towards solving this issue.

Just stop to think about what it is this technology would entail before you keep posting. You need a system that:

A) Works regardless if a bowler is bowling over or around the wicket, and regardless of where the batsman stands and how he moves
B) Can identify the moment a front foot lands, and doesn't confuse that with the bowler's backfoot or follow through.
C) Isn't a permanent fixture in the ground (because not all grounds would pay to install/maintain it, and if it cannot be used in every single game of a series/tournament, it's unlikely to be used at all)
D) Doesn't interrupt the game (get in the way of bowlers, batsmen, fielders)
E) Will not break or get damaged over the process of a game, or during bad weather
F) Is accurate and affordable
G) Doesn't require an additional human being present at the ground to operate (you may as well just have a guy staring at the crease whole game via a pair of binoculars calling no-balls instead)

Now, go and actually have a think about what human technology is currently capable of. Look at how other sports tackle similar issues, and see if they are adaptable to cricket. Take the time to actually think this through instead of repeatedly insisting that the technology exists and just no one cbf to do anything, and then then let me know if you think current technology actually allows for a solution to this issue.

Or, y'know, just continue to hold up a protractor to your TV and question why we can land a man on the moon but can't figure out such simple problems.
Honestly can't tell if you're being serious ITT. You're still just saying "If you can't tell me exactly how the technology works then it must be impossible". If you really think a beeping no-balls sensor is beyond human technology to create then I honestly don't know what to say to you.

Not that we need it anyway. As I said, all you need is the tv umpire watching a screen which would be incredibly simple and much improved on what we have now.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Breaking news: man who doesn't understand tech wonders how it's possible for us to land on the moon but yet we can't automate front foot no balls.

TheJediBrah

Breaking news: man who doesn't understand tech wonders how it's possible for us to land on the moon but yet we can't automate front foot no balls.
I don't get why you keep insisting that it's impossible, when you have absolutely no knowledge of whether or not it would be, yet then deride someone else for insisting that it is possible because they have no absolute knowledge of how exactly it would work. I don't even know what your argument is anymore, just seems like you're trying to be a dick

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't get why you keep insisting that it's impossible, when you have absolutely no knowledge of whether or not it would be, yet then deride someone else for insisting that it is possible because they have no absolute knowledge of how exactly it would work. I don't even know what your argument is anymore, just seems like you're trying to be a dick
Ding!

cnerd123

likes this
I wonder why TJB assumes I don't have an engineering background and haven't spent hours of thought and research into this concept. He thinks I know absolutely nothing. Maybe it's because he knows absolutely nothing himself, and is simply projecting his lack of knowledge onto other posters? 'Hey, I've never actually worked with sensors and wiring and cameras and software before, therefore there is no way that you have!'

Maybe he thinks no one knows for sure if Bigfoot is real or not too?

Like I said, if someone can actually find or put together a feasible system that actually works, I'm all ears. So far I've come across nothing except for ****posters insisting it must be possible and then admitting they have no knowledge on how it actually is.

TheJediBrah

I wonder why TJB assumes I don't have an engineering background and haven't spent hours of thought and research into this concept. He thinks I know absolutely nothing. Maybe it's because he knows absolutely nothing himself, and is simply projecting his lack of knowledge onto other posters? 'Hey, I've never actually worked with sensors and wiring and cameras and software before, therefore there is no way that you have!'

Like I said, if someone can actually find or put together a feasible system that actually works, I'm all ears. So far I've come across nothing except for ****posters insisting it must be possible and then admitting they have no knowledge on how it actually is.
wow "no one of these random dudes on a cricket forum can tell me exactly how the technology would work, therefore I'll keep insisting that it must be impossible to develop the technology"

do you even hear yourself?

the big bambino

International Captain

Why would he assume otherwise? Have you provided your CV to CW for all to see?

SillyCowCorner1

My barbed wire technology is ingenious and most logical.

A fool proof proposal.

Don't even need an engineering degree to install it.

We use that make barriers on the boundaries of our farm. Trespassers will think twice before setting the front foot over on our territory.

It's a cultural construction. My cow is not your cow.

cnerd123

likes this
wow "no one of these random dudes on a cricket forum can tell me exactly how the technology would work, therefore I'll keep insisting that it must be impossible to develop the technology"

do you even hear yourself?
That's not what I'm saying

You assume that just because we can get a man on the moon that this tech is possible, and you have assumed that the only reason it isn't in place is because lack of desire or lack of competence

You've assumed the hard working people at the ICC have never thought of this idea, or investigated it, or brought it up to people with the ability to do it. And not just the ICC - every cricket club, board, association and organisation in the planet. No one you think has ever explored this option.

You've also assumed tens of thousands of brilliant engineering and scientific minds in the world haven't had a crack at this. They've put cricket balls in wind tunnels to explain swing, developed tech to replicate bowling actions, to investigate chucking, stump cams, snicko, hot spot, all this modern cricket tech and gear, yet no one ever has put any thought or effort into automating front foot noballs?

You've just assumed layers and layers of incompetence, ignorance and lack of desire in thousands of people all around the world just because it exists within you, and have the gall and arrogance to continue to insist this magic technology exists and the only reason it's not in place is because nobody CBF to sort it out.

It's rude, disrespectful and very very very annoying.

cnerd123

likes this
Why would he assume otherwise? Have you provided your CV to CW for all to see?
Why assume anything at all? Why assume that everyone he speaks to is as dumb lazy and ignorant as himself? Why not just openly say he has no ****ing idea what he's talking about that that maybe this tech actually isn't out there, instead of digging his heels in and insisting it exists and providing no evidence of it?

I'm getting way more annoyed by this than I should. This is equivalent to someone on FB saying 'that batsman could have hit that ball for six, he just chose not to, this whole match is fixed'. It's that level of ignorance and arrogance and it's just really annoys me.

Burgey

Putting together PowerPoint presentations for the grown ups to present isn't an "engineering background" mate.

TheJediBrah

No. You are the one who's been rude and disrespectful throughout this discussion. As I said earlier (and yes there are some assumptions in here), it would require means beyond any club and there is no economic reason for someone to invest the time and money in it if there's no likelihood that it will be implemented and hence get a return on the investment. People don't just throw money away. This wouldn't be one of those things that someone is just going to invest the research into without a guarantee and hope that someone adopts it IMO. I am 95% sure that if ICC decided to put serious effort and funds into automated front-foot no-ball technology then it would happen pretty quickly.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it, and you haven't given any reason for me to think that I am. You've been making assurances with no basis.

Why assume anything at all? Why assume that everyone he speaks to is as dumb lazy and ignorant as himself? Why not just openly say he has no ****ing idea what he's talking about that that maybe this tech actually isn't out there, instead of digging his heels in and insisting it exists and providing no evidence of it?

I'm getting way more annoyed by this than I should. This is equivalent to someone on FB saying 'that batsman could have hit that ball for six, he just chose not to, this whole match is fixed'. It's that level of ignorance and arrogance and it's just really annoys me.
M8 I never assumed anything. You forced that upon me as you have this whole debate. Honestly ***** you are going full r****d this thread and before calling me "dumb lazy and ignorant" maybe take a look at yourself.

Tbh the hypocrisy in most of your posts here has been baffling. You've given no evidence or even reason for anyone to believe your point of view, then keep deriding the opposing point of view for lack of evidence. My god.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It feels like a cross purposes talk, the fundamental technology exists but engineering it in a practical sensible manner has not been done and is unlikely to been done any time soon. Hawkeye, snicko only got put together because of broadcasters taking the lead to create 'excitement, controversy', the broadcasters have no real need to engineer anything to show a single screen shot after the event, which has little practical use for umpiring.

TheJediBrah

It feels like a cross purposes talk, the fundamental technology exists but engineering it in a practical sensible manner has not been done and is unlikely to been done any time soon. Hawkeye, snicko only got put together because of broadcasters taking the lead to create 'excitement, controversy', the broadcasters have no real need to engineer anything to show a single screen shot after the event, which has little practical use for umpiring.
"nope technology doesn't exist and you're dumb stupid and lazy for assuming that it does I have an engineering background how dare you make assumptions about me"