• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Tour of South Africa 2018/19

GRAB

First Class Debutant
How long are they going to stick with QDK?

I know Klaasens is not test material, but how about another new bloke.

QDK's form of late has been depressing.
I'm not sure how you can know something like that with metaphysical certitude, but OK...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What about Bavuma? He always gets a pass. QDK has done more with the bat than Bavuma and QDK is also a very good keeper.
Nobody is getting a pass at the moment really; Most of the batsmen have been inconsistent and nobody is really nailing down positions when given opportunity. Even Amla has been given some leeway because of his experience. Markram has come in and been excellent, but has also had his struggles.Our top 6 is stable more because the next group of hopefuls are not quite there and need probably another FC season or 2. Things will probably change after the WC, we shall have to see.

Bolo

State Captain
RSA openers have been pretty solid, but the entire middle order has been really poor for some time.

Pakistans batting is distinctly ahead at the moment, but they always struggle in RSA.

Batting is a wash. RSA bowlers to win the series 2-1 with a small chance of 3-0 if Abbas doesn't play.

SeamUp

International Coach
Think I've found out a few things from this T20 cricket now but it gets repetitive and boring watching it. Desperately want TEST cricket to start.

Loads of questions that need to be answered about our batting.

Amla isn't himself anymore. Then there is the debate around Bavuma/de Bruyn.

Think Markram, Elgar, QdK needed to get away and have a few bashes in this T20.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Difficult to fault Bavuma's performances in 2018 too much though? In his four tests, he's averaging 38 and should have had a 100 vs (demoralised) Australia except for Keshav and Morne losing their wickets...

Bolo

State Captain
Difficult to fault Bavuma's performances in 2018 too much though? In his four tests, he's averaging 38 and should have had a 100 vs (demoralised) Australia except for Keshav and Morne losing their wickets...
Excluding the game that AUS basically had no intention of winning and his runs weren't needed, he managed about 100 runs in 6 completed innings. Poor for a guy that usually scores at the right time.

Best average of the (not retired) middle order I think. And injured for most of the year, which effectively means he's less of a proven failure this year. Middle have just been so poor.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
38 is not good enough for international cricket batsman, unless contributing somewhere else in an allrounder role; as said earlier Bavuma needs to step-up his game. But that is true of De Bruyn (avg 21 from 6 matches) and QDK is averaging 21 (but he is still a fantastic keeper). And Amla is being given time to recover, but is only avg 23 in the last year. But there is simply not enough showing at the FC level yet for us to replace anybody.

I`m interested in seeing who the extra batsmen in the squad will be? With Ngidi and Mulder injured, expect to see Morris. But also another bowler, Olivier? Klaasens as backup wk/bat? Who is next in after de Bruyn will say a lot of what the management/coaches are thinking.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
I`m interested in seeing who the extra batsmen in the squad will be?
My guess would be Hamza. He's made runs for South Africa A, and being a number 3 is probably the natural successor to Amla, who is most likely to be the next batsman to call it a day.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My guess would be Hamza. He's made runs for South Africa A, and being a number 3 is probably the natural successor to Amla, who is most likely to be the next batsman to call it a day.
I would love it to be Hamza, been talking him up for years. But he is not having a great (or bad season) and he has not spent much time around the squad, so think they may go for 'highly' talented but younger?

Bolo

State Captain
How much of his career has been franchise? 49 is a huge average at his age if he managed it at top level

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How much of his career has been franchise? 49 is a huge average at his age if he managed it at top level
About 50/50 I would say, only been consistently in Cobras last season. He has been watched since he was 19/20 years of age. Don't get me wrong he has been good, without being outstanding. Biggest issue is he has not recently been scoring big. Lots of 50's+. He had a point at which he was converting nicely. He is a potential replacement for Amla, ideally. So I can see him being drafted into the squad after WC next year. Markram for example was scoring big hundreds and we needed an opening bat, so he came in earlier than probably planned; not quite sure where Hamza sits in the squad at the moment.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I would love it to be Hamza, been talking him up for years. But he is not having a great (or bad season) and he has not spent much time around the squad, so think they may go for 'highly' talented but younger?
He's only 23, so I think they'd be unlikely to bring anyone younger into the squad, at least not as the backup batman.

Dendarii

International Debutant
It looks like just a bit less than half. Here are his stats for the Cobras from the past few seasons:

2016/17 - 4 matches, 151 runs @ 21.57, 1 50
2017/18 - 9 matches, 828 runs @ 69.00, 3 100s and 4 50s
2018/19 - 5 matches, 257 runs @ 31.88, 2 50s

He also played two matches for South Africa A in India this year, where he averaged 52. So combining that with his franchise record gives 20 matches, 1390 runs @ 46.33, with three 100s and nine 50s.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
And looking at that South Africa A tour, the other batsmen were Second (playing as keeper, but also the top run scorer), Muthusamy, Erwee, Van Der Dussen, Zondo, and Pieter Malan. Van der Dussen and Zondo only played one match in the series, while everyone else played both of them.

With the exception of Muthusamy, all those guys are 28/29. So Hamza is definitely a better long-term prospect, which is why I think he might get the nod.

Bolo

State Captain
It looks like just a bit less than half. Here are his stats for the Cobras from the past few seasons:

2016/17 - 4 matches, 151 runs @ 21.57, 1 50
2017/18 - 9 matches, 828 runs @ 69.00, 3 100s and 4 50s
2018/19 - 5 matches, 257 runs @ 31.88, 2 50s

He also played two matches for South Africa A in India this year, where he averaged 52. So combining that with his franchise record gives 20 matches, 1390 runs @ 46.33, with three 100s and nine 50s.
Run distribution questionable. If times were a bit better I would say wait a year and look again.

Times are bad though. I'm happy to see the current lineup play the entire Pak series. If bavuma or DE Bruyn score nothing I think they should go.

Maybe Mulder afterwards. But they are both question marks and Amla won't be around for long.

He doesn't seem a bad bet (bearing the in mind I know nothing about him besides these stats). We have been having to choose between bats struggling to average 40 in 1st class often recently

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hamza struggled initially, had a great season last year and has not scored big this year, lots of 30's and 40's. He is definitely a talented player. We have talent coming through, van Tonder, Bedingham, Breetzke, Rickelton, Marais, Malan etc.....it is just that they are not quite ready, along with nobody really putting their hand up and demanding to be selected. Markram did that, he kept scoring big runs could not keep ignoring him. de Bruyn has been dominating the FC scene this year though so need to be given a proper run.

We have 5 tests until the WC in May; 3 against Pak, 2 against SL. Unless there is injury they not gonna bring anybody in and will give the incumbent batsmen a chance to prove themselves. I think the next likely inclusion is Mulder, if he stays uninjured and shows any form. The we see who is performing and who is retiring from a batting point of view. Could find ourselves with 3 debutants, depending on Faf and Amla.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Hamza and Mulder are the next guys in. To be honest our batting really worries me especially the number 3 position. If Amla and Faf quit at the same time we in trouble. There's a serious drop off in quality IMO.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Apart from AB, the highest average of the year, though missed India series to injury... Cricket Records | Records | 2018 - South Africa | Test matches | Most runs | ESPNcricinfo

Hamza averages 45 over 18 franchise matches, though as noted, most of his runs in one season... Wonder if van Biljon's form will have him in the picture, though TBH never looked an obvious international batsman... Eddie Moore is another one starting to push quite hard to be noticed. Not being in the 2020 hit and giggle, he has gotten less publicity.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hamza and Mulder are the next guys in. To be honest our batting really worries me especially the number 3 position. If Amla and Faf quit at the same time we in trouble. There's a serious drop off in quality IMO.
Both de Bruyn and Hamza could potentially bat 3. Our batting has been a struggle for awhile now, ever since Smith and Kallis retired we have not had a solid top 6. With Amla dropping dramatically in form and now AB retiring, it was always going to be a problem. I think we have the quality coming through, though it will probably take 2 years for those guys to get experience at test level so we will struggle batting wise until then.