• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Tour of South Africa 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Field day for Beuran. That battle for 4th strike seamer going to be carried into Momentum One Day Cup. Should be great viewing.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
That shouldn't be wide if the batsman was standing that far outside leg and then moved back...

SeamUp

International Coach
Could do with a left-armer for the variation...
That is his advantage. At his best he can be good but I worry it isn't consistently done.

Can't believe how far Heinirch Klaasen's confidence has fallen. If anything I didn't think that would have been something that would effect him as he always seemed confident and assured.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rassie van der Dussen though has taken to this level easier than I expected. Hardly played any SA A cricket. Had a spell in the winter in the Canadian Premier League of all tournaments.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rassie van der Dussen though has taken to this level easier than I expected. Hardly played any SA A cricket. Had a spell in the winter in the Canadian Premier League of all tournaments.
I expected him to do well in ODI cricket; he's really got that format down pat to the point where he can construct a good innings perfectly well through even when the bowlers are have the advantage in terms of technique and talent. I think there are a lot of domestic batsmen about his age around the world whose 50 over skills are a bit underestimated in this way.

He's certainly outdone my expectations so far in T20s though.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I expected him to do well in ODI cricket; he's really got that format down pat to the point where he can construct a good innings perfectly well through even when the bowlers are have the advantage in terms of technique and skill. I think there are a lot of domestic batsmen about his age around the world whose 50 over skills are a bit underestimated in this way.

He's certainly outdone my expectations so far in T20s though.

I think it's been his ability to hit spin and find scoring options and I really thought the slog to leg was his get out of jail shot.

I do wonder if he didn't perform in Mzansi Super League like he did if he would have got these chances even with the domestic experience behind him.

Bolo

State Captain
Smith also pushed Klusener out of the SA side. He is a very private school cliquey type...
Discussing pollock in the odi thread reminded me of this comment. He pushed pollock out the team as well. Different circumstances, and Pollock actually retired rather than was banned, but in both cases it was a man management issue that got rid of both of them (ie. Core responsibility of a captain).

So that's the two best ARs in history pushed out by one captain. Oops.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Discussing pollock in the odi thread reminded me of this comment. He pushed pollock out the team as well. Different circumstances, and Pollock actually retired rather than was banned, but in both cases it was a man management issue that got rid of both of them (ie. Core responsibility of a captain).

So that's the two best ARs in history pushed out by one captain. Oops.
Two best AR's? Mister kallis says hi.

Pollock was pushed out due to the emergence of steyn and morkel. Pollock had lost his zip and striking ability . Was no room for him anymore in the test side unless we played 5 seamers.

Bolo

State Captain
Two best AR's? Mister kallis says hi.

Pollock was pushed out due to the emergence of steyn and morkel. Pollock had lost his zip and striking ability . Was no room for him anymore in the test side unless we played 5 seamers.
Ya, sorry, I'm breaking cw convention by discussing Odis wuthout explicitly stating so. I assumed it would be understood due to the fact I'm referring to klusenar as a goat ar considering how mediocre he was in tests.

I dont have an issue with dropping klusenar in tests. But it needed to be for a player with some potential. Anyone who had ever watched Hall play knew he was going to be dismal (and I'm a massive fan of his in odis).

I have a problem with dropping pollock in tests. He was much improved from injured pollock of 2005. In his last 2 calendar years he took 4wpm @20 and averaged 37 with the bat. To the end of the decade Morkel took 3.something and averaged late 30s with the ball and was rubbish with the bat. I understand that morkel underachieved to a surprising degree. Much more was reasonably expected. But you want a proven beast of a player on a run of form that is better than the career of any AR in history in the team.

Anyway, the real issue is odis. Klusener was clearly the best odi player rsa had ever had when he got booted. Pollock had taken over at the rsa goat by the time he got booted. In his last game he was a hundred points clear of the nexr highest peak ranking bowler in rsa history on the icc rankings (donald) for his last game. And Pollock was an AR..

These are the type of players worth work around issues to keep in the team. Other captains managed for two decades between the two.