• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Tour of South Africa 2018/19

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's what frustration does.

Top stuff from Pakistan. Except them to bomb it in the field.

smash84

The Tiger King
92 team was rubbish. Every win was a shock.

I think standards in odis have generally gone up across the board. I feel like this team might be comparable to some of the weaker teams we have fielded, but is less lijely to win.
Donald, Pringle, Brian McMillan, Kepler weasels, not too shabby for the time I think

trundler

Also, the spin choke ought to be every team's highest priority going into the world cup. Every team needs a couple of spinners to choke the flow of runs. England have Moeen and Rashid. India have KulCha.

SeamUp

International Coach
92 team was rubbish. Every win was a shock.

I think standards in odis have generally gone up across the board. I feel like this team might be comparable to some of the weaker teams we have fielded, but is less lijely to win.
I would say 2011 WC squad could compete with this 2019 as maybe the weakest ? 1992 next.

SA's 1992 World Cup squad was a team of hardened professionals with some youth who had good FC experience behind them.I think many people watched this team with no fear attitude and were hooked. Batted to 9 or 10 and we had Jonty Rhodes in the field. Kirsten, Cronje, Kuiper could all bowl in the top 6 which gave options especially for New Zealand. It was a very good side.

Hudson
Wessels
P.Kirsten
Cronje
Rhodes
Kuiper
McMillan
Richardson
Snell
Pringle
Donald

Last edited:

vcs

I would say 2011 WC squad could compete with this 2019 as maybe the weakest ? 1992 next.

SA's 1992 World Cup squad was a team of hardened professionals with some youth who had good FC experience behind them.I think many people watched this game with no fear attitude and were hooked. Batted to 9 or 10 and we had Jonty Rhodes in the field. Kirsten, Cronje, Kuiper could all bowl in the top 6 whcih gave options especially for New Zealand. It was a very good side.

Hudson
Wessels
P.Kirsten
Cronje
Rhodes
Kuiper
McMillan
Richardson
Snell
Pringle
Donald
2011 was pretty great on paper, I thought.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
McMillan's ODI record is mostly pretty mediocre... Better with the ball than the bat though.

SeamUp

International Coach
2011 was pretty great on paper, I thought.
It's a tough one thinking back which was the worst.

I just thought Morne van Wyk being given such an important role & never grabbed international cricket like domestic. Ingram and Faf weren't experienced internationals. Tsotsobe and Parnell. Botha & Robbie P were ok but not great.

vcs

Yeah, fragile middle+lower order was their weakness. Did have good individual talent, just lacked balance.

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza Hendricks special. When he gets on a run it is tough to stop his stroke play. And he absolutely loves batting on the highveld.

Bolo

State Captain
That 92 team only really has jonty, cronje and donald who went onto solid international careers. First two very young at the time.

Couple of guys that would have been really good like kirsten and kuiper, but getting a bit long in the tooth.

Couple of guys who were just rubbish like snell and wessels.

No experience. Ridiculously negative play, even for the low standards of the time.

Id back the current or 2011 team to win 8/10 against them.

SeamUp

International Coach
Tsotsobe was quite good in ODIs for a while
2nd and 3rd spells were a massive concern. Had to come back and bowl cutters and if that didn't work he was in trouble.

But ultimately as mentioned the middle to lower order just lacked any sort of hitting power and in sub continent often you have to make the play to hit boundaries with the lack of pace.