• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of New Zealand 2018/19

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
having though about it a bit more, I think NZ should've gone with Sommerville rather than Ajaz. That's tough on Ajaz, he's been the #1 domestic spinner for a couple seasons now, and won us the first test with a brilliant bowling display. But from what I saw, Sommerville just looked to be better across the board - more bounce, more turn, more accuracy. If it hadn't been for the fielders slipping into cbf-mode in the last half hour he would've picked up 9 wickets in the match. And it was his bowling - in still relatively friendly batting conditions on day 3 - that triggered Pakistan's first innings collapse and turned the match on its head.

It's not an obvious choice either way, and Ajaz at 30 has a lot more long-term potential. But Sommerville has the potential to make a massive contribution to the NZ side in the next 18 months. His experience of bowling in Australia will be invaluable next year, and I think his ability to keep things tight as a steel drum in docile conditions is what the fast-bowlers really need.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
having though about it a bit more, I think NZ should've gone with Sommerville rather than Ajaz. That's tough on Ajaz, he's been the #1 domestic spinner for a couple seasons now, and won us the first test with a brilliant bowling display. But from what I saw, Sommerville just looked to be better across the board - more bounce, more turn, more accuracy. If it hadn't been for the fielders slipping into cbf-mode in the last half hour he would've picked up 9 wickets in the match. And it was his bowling - in still relatively friendly batting conditions on day 3 - that triggered Pakistan's first innings collapse and turned the match on its head.

It's not an obvious choice either way, and Ajaz at 30 has a lot more long-term potential. But Sommerville has the potential to make a massive contribution to the NZ side in the next 18 months. His experience of bowling in Australia will be invaluable next year, and I think his ability to keep things tight as a steel drum in docile conditions is what the fast-bowlers really need.
Somerville hasn't bowled much at home though, has he? Ajaz has, and is leading wicket taker as you say, so it seems like he has the tools to bowl on seamer friendly decks. Somers bowled well but that was on UAE decks.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, not saying Somerville over Ajaz is a slam dunk or anything, just that he shades it from what I saw of the two of them.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yo anyone going to the Basin? I'll be the fat drunk guy not in costume, hanging out with the Super Troopers on Saturday

Gomez656

U19 Cricketer

Pakistan in danger of going further down in test ranking, southafricas fast bowlers
Rabada and Steyn in great form, I think 3/0 looming over Pakistan in January 2019

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I took my 5 year old last year to odi at The Basin. I lost her, had to get the police to search for her. Not a proud day.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
SL will go with two spinners and that won't help them. Their pacers are god enough but won't sustain quality for many spells.
Nah, our pacers did the job in WI and the selectors will back them in, the chances of 2 spinners are even less likely with no phatty and no Akila. Lakmal will lead the attack, Kumara to share the new ball and then it gets interesting, Kasun Rajitha is the incumbent, having performed really well in WI, however Pradeep and Chameera are in the squad, with Matthews unable to contribute with the ball but DM de Silva able to bowl a bit of offspin we could see a 4 man pace attack for the right pitch. I think Dilruwan will be considered for his batting as well though, and any test that is likely to go into a 5th day would be a big risk without a front-line spinner

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'll be there with a few mates, each nearly as pale as I - the 4 of us slowly wilting in the sun like beached jellyfish.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Will you continue your sea-life theme by going as pink lobsters on the second day?
Won't be going on Sunday, I'll be lying in a bath of anti-burn cream, with the curtains drawn, listening to the cricket on the radio (because even light waves from a tv will be too much to handle at that point).

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
so who do you guys think will be the best performers?

Mine

Most Runs- Kane Williamson
Most wickets- Trent Boult

Most runs (SL)- Angelo Mathews
Most wickets (SL)- Lahiru Kumara