• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of New Zealand 2018/19

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the Basin pitch expected to be like for this match? Hasn't it been disappointingly flat and slow over the few years?
It is absolutely chock-full of runs once the greenness fades, but no it's Uni Oval that gets called disappointingly flat and slow for a Test venue down here, never really the Basin.

The Basin's rarely ever lacking in carry enough for Latham's liking. :(

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Would also explain why he has Ravindra pegged as one of the top 4 U19 bowlers in the world and a slightly more penetrative bowler than Shaheen Afridi and Lloyd Pope
"But I am! We just need to banish Seifert's keeping, like Flem274* has said"

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I want to see Young play but also not see anyone dropped.

I reckon Mathew's will probably pull another double ton out of his butt somewhere to give Sri Lanka a glimmer, and we'll probably have one shocker of an innings, but 2-0 is expected.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I like Coburn and his poor mans Paul Adams action.
Yeah it's fun - unlikely to ever land the ball consistently, but it's one of those things that will completely flummox some percentage of opposition batsmen and tail-enders, to much amusement.

That's because that ball was an absolute rank long hop that even Coburn didn't feel like celebrating. Chandimal wouldn't have faced a ball like that since under 15s :-)
Hey, that half-tracker is always one of a wrist-spinner's best wicket-takers!

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
SL will go with two spinners and that won't help them. Their pacers are god enough but won't sustain quality for many spells.

Great news about Young, there was no doubt whatsoever he was going to be selected. He's got the goods, right technique and I predict he'll do great. He'll go well for a decade at least with that technique.
Doubt SL will go with 2 spinners. But I'm certain Dilruwan will play.

They do have D de Silva who can bowl a few overs if they wanted another spin option.

Agree on our quick bowling talent. They might go well with the new ball but they will struggle in the 2nd/3rd spells.

Can't see much hope for this tour, sadly.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

I reckon Mathew's will probably pull another double ton out of his butt somewhere to give Sri Lanka a glimmer, and we'll probably have one shocker of an innings, but 2-0 is expected.
Hasn't Mathew's been pretty ordinary since the holy trinity of Sanga, Mahela and Samareweera headed off into retirement? Chandimal strikes me as the major threat in this batting lineup.

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Hasn't Mathew's been pretty ordinary since the holy trinity of Sanga, Mahela and Samareweera headed off into retirement? Chandimal strikes me as the major threat in this batting lineup.
Well he's been dropped from the ODI team due to "poor running between the wickets"

And yes, his Test form has been pants. 1 century since Jan '17 averaging less than 30 or so.

He did look like he got himself back in to form during the Eng series. And followed it up with a 100 in the warm up.

He and Chandimal are key here. Needs huge support from Mendis, DDS and Roshen for SL to stand a chance.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Chameera bowled quite well last time and Kumara looks ok. The batting has been rubbish on SL's recent visits to NZ though.
Chameera today is not the 145k speed merchant of last tour. He is more or less fast medium these days. He lacks the pace of Lahiru Kumara, swing and accuracy of Lakmal, and seam movement of Rajitha. For Sl Nuwan Pradeep was the best test bowler, but he has fallen off due to injuries. Expect Lakmal, Rajitha and Lahiru Kumara to play the tests.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Chameera today is not the 145k speed merchant of last tour. He is more or less fast medium these days. He lacks the pace of Lahiru Kumara, swing and accuracy of Lakmal, and seam movement of Rajitha. For Sl Nuwan Pradeep was the best test bowler, but he has fallen off due to injuries. Expect Lakmal, Rajitha and Lahiru Kumara to play the tests.
Injuries seem to have really hit Lankan pace bowling stocks in recent years, it's like NZ in the early to late 2000's. Whatever happened to Dhammika Prasad and Shaminda Eranga, both were pretty decent from what I remember? Haven't watched a whole lot of Kumara and Rajitha but they seem to have done really well in the Carribean, could be quite penetrative then in NZ.

Moss

International Vice-Captain

Almost tempted to give Taylor a rest (which is ridiculous anyway as NZ play so little test cricket) and play Young at 4 sometime this summer, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh at home is an easier introduction to tests than Australia away, or England and India in 2019-20. Still, can recall NZ's top order tripping over themselves at least a couple of times during the last SL/Bangladesh visits, Taylor's experience and tendency to dominate at home could be important.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Injuries seem to have really hit Lankan pace bowling stocks in recent years, it's like NZ in the early to late 2000's. Whatever happened to Dhammika Prasad and Shaminda Eranga, both were pretty decent from what I remember? Haven't watched a whole lot of Kumara and Rajitha but they seem to have done really well in the Carribean, could be quite penetrative then in NZ.
Dhammika Prasad is hampered by injuries. Played a bit of domestic cricket for SSC his domestic club. Plus he missed last week matches due to Level 3 Coaching camp.

Shaminda Eranga was called for suspect action in 2016 Tests in England. He has gone missing from the radar since. Was in Brisbane couple of months back playing grade/club cricket.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhammika Prasad is hampered by injuries. Played a bit of domestic cricket for SSC his domestic club. Plus he missed last week matches due to Level 3 Coaching camp.

Shaminda Eranga was called for suspect action in 2016 Tests in England. He has gone missing from the radar since. Was in Brisbane couple of months back playing grade/club cricket.
I think he has got RVOT ventricular tachycardia, a heart arrythmia during the UK tour. Questions on action and possible intractability of the medical condition may have resulted in the disappearance.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's a shame about Chameera/Charmander - hope he gets back to full fitness to realise his potential. Haven't seen Rajitha at all.

Borges

International Regular
Anyone else think there may be a hangover period in the first couple of days for NZ as they struggle to get back to playing in different conditions after such a high?
That is a distinct possibility.
I would love to see Sri Lanka some how win a game and continue this recent trend of visiting teams doing well in unfamiliar conditions.
Would it be too much to expect Pakistan to compete well in South Africa?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan will be heavily outbowled. That is an absolute certainty. Pakistani batsmen have distinct weaknesses against bounce so even if Pakistan can cheaply bowl out SA the batters wouldn't last. Of the fielders, the most I need to say is that they're Pakistani.

cnerd123

likes this
Pakistan will be heavily outbowled. That is an absolute certainty. Pakistani batsmen have distinct weaknesses against bounce so even if Pakistan can cheaply bowl out SA the batters wouldn't last. Of the fielders, the most I need to say is that they're Pakistani.
Lol you sparked

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Almost tempted to give Taylor a rest (which is ridiculous anyway as NZ play so little test cricket) and play Young at 4 sometime this summer, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh at home is an easier introduction to tests than Australia away, or England and India in 2019-20. Still, can recall NZ's top order tripping over themselves at least a couple of times during the last SL/Bangladesh visits, Taylor's experience and tendency to dominate at home could be important.
Ross wants to play to 100 tests, so I'd be loathe to take one off him.

But let's face it, we can do this with a 4 man bowling attack plus Kane's offies. Drop de Grandhomme and play Young at six.