• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kusal Mendis

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain

Why is Mendis regressing so fast?

He started off pretty well, hitting valuable runs.

I wonder what wrong has happened in in his game.

He's a valuable player. I hope he corrects his game, and give himself bit of a time at the crease initially before going for shots.

Kid is 23 now and has played 31 Tests averaging only 35.

54 ODIs averaging only 27.72.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Give him time. He got pushed into the team whilst being still rather young. Doesn't help that most pitches in SL these days are full of gremlins.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Give him time. He got pushed into the team whilst being still rather young. Doesn't help that most pitches in SL these days are full of gremlins.
He had a FC average of 30 and one century, having completed only one season of domestic cricket, when he got selected as an opener for the WI home series in 2015.

Let's see how he comes though. Not enough runs in the last 4 Tests in Sri Lanka.

I honestly don't know what's wrong with him.

He doesn't play with the same freedom as he used to do when he first started on.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
He had a FC average of 30 and one century, having completed only one season of domestic cricket, when he got selected as an opener for the WI home series in 2015.

Let's see how he comes though. Not enough runs in the last 4 Tests in Sri Lanka.

I honestly don't know what's wrong with him.

He doesn't play with the same freedom as he used to do when he first started on.
Well there you go. Thrusted into the national team perhaps a tad early and has been playing for SL almost non-stop since then. Players' form is always going to vacillate when they're running the never-ending treadmill of international matches like that.

He may very well have been told by the coaches/captain that they need him to play more of an anchor role in the lineup. Could explain why he's not playing with as much freedom as he used to.

Borges

International Regular
His would have done a lot better if he was plying in a stronger batting team; for instance if he had played a fair number of his initial games alongside Mahela and Sanga.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That 176 was one of the best test innings I have seen in recent years, on that alone I wish Mendis a long and fruitful career. I would tend to agree he seems unsure of his best role, looks to be caught in two minds a lot leading to him losing his natural freeflowing strokeplay

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMO

1) He was never really that good, just in great form when he was first selected. Expecting to be averaging 45+ in the long term was always probably a bit optimistic.
2) His stats aren't even that bad. Averaging 35 for a young batsman isn't terrible, and IIRC Sri Lanka have been playing on more bowler-friendly than usual surfaces over the last couple of years

Flem274*

123/5
at a similar age and number of tests im pretty sure kane averaged less than 30. steve smith took a few goes to get going too, though being behind the likes of ponting and clarke meant he wasn't rushed in las much mendis has been.

being a young guy rushed into your team on talent because your team has big holes in it is probably the toughest job in cricket

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't realise he was only 23. He's played more match defining innings than most cricketers play Tests by this age.