• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis vs Brett Lee (ODIs)

Better ODI bowler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Look at Pollock's ER for the era. Better than McGrath and Akram comfortably. He is quite underrated too.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Waqar's case yes. I'm talking about the end of career getting old, pace and rhythm disappearing sort of decline.
I was more so referring to the general statement that "younger fast bowlers tend to be better than ones near the end of their careers", which I don't think is true.

Not even sure it's actually true in Waqar's case either, in ODIs. He was pretty peak ~2002 when he took 13 wickets in 2 ODIs in England and his stats don't really indicate that he tapered off much.

Lee's economy rate of 4.76 is better during his career period ( 2000-2012) than Waqar's 4.68 during his period(1989-2003).
Might have to check the math on that but if you're taking into account the difference in conditions between early 90s-00s (became much higher scoring), which I'm guessing you probably are then I agree that Lee's 4.76 is probably better than Waqar's 4.68

Top_Cat

Definitely bowled well in that series and was always a quality operator in England especially but damn, in the 90s the bloke was so feared. Again, I’m a huge fan so excuse the drooling but he had that Mitchell Johnson fear factor for what seemed like forever. I absolutely loved how he totally overturned what it meant to be quick and intimidating, threw them up there instead of trying to rip blokes’ heads off and scared the pants off everyone. His bouncers were actually so rare I still remember a couple of them.

Top_Cat

I can never resist some Waqar footage. This one is worth watching the whole over because the payoff is so good. Not many blokes ever made Lara look proper stupid, especially when he was on the march and personally it looks like he fed Lara those drives but you can never be sure. If it was all planned, it’s even better.

Last edited: