• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was Australia's greatest ever captain?

Who was Australia's Greatest ever captain

• Total voters

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
LMAO at Ricky Ponting. Lost 3 Ashes series.

I'm surprised that more players didn't pick Bargearse

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well Ponting bowled first at Edgbaston, so he's out. Steve Waugh is responsible for the dumb mental disintegration bull****, so he's out. I believe there's questions over whether Mark Taylor truly stood up for the players when the first MOU was established in 1998, so he's out. Alan Border is clearly at fault for the lionization of all captains since him, plus your boss being a grumpy **** who flies off the handle isn't cool, so he's out. Kim Hughes cried, which is a positive thing really, but he was a ****, so he's out. Greg Chappell did underarm, so he's out. I can't really think of anything Graeme Yallop did, so he wins. Or Ian Craig.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
When I listen to Ponting commentate now I think he has a lot of top insights into the game. However, as a captain I think he made defensive decisions and it used to piss me off terribly.
The answer is of course Border based on my watching time, but Waugh was decent too.

Burgey

Dravid would have made an exceptional 3rd grade skipper if he had been Australian

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richie Benaud obviously.

Joe Darling, Warwick Armstrong, Don Bradman, Ian Chappell, Alan Border, Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh give Australia probably the best captaincy depth of any Test team in cricket history.

trundler

Richie Benaud obviously.

Joe Darling, Warwick Armstrong, Don Bradman, Ian Chappell, Alan Border, Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh give Australia probably the best captaincy depth of any Test team in cricket history.
Perhaps Noble also deserves a mention.

cnerd123

likes this
Richie Benaud obviously.

tbf Australia and England win basically every single 'best depth of any team in cricket history' debate just because their history is just so much longer.

Would be interesting to list out all Test captains from all Test nations and try to evaluate which country produces the best captains on average. Maybe even weight it by number of games captained.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Border has to be the one who carries the blame for that totally shambolic Australian team of 86/87 turning into the one that came here in '89