• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was Australia's greatest ever captain?

Who was Australia's Greatest ever captain

• Total voters

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say they're voting for Benaud. What I've learned from this thread so far is that one Benaud is better than 4 Borders.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke's name shouldn't be mentioned here. On-field tactics are only a part of being a good captain and he was **** at the rest of it.

Has to be Border or Waugh I guess. (out of the last 20-30 years)

The greatest captain Australia never had was Shane Warne. That would have been interesting at least.
Could that be Gilchrist too? Yes, he captained for a few matches as stop-gap but looked good in that. I think he won most of the matches he captained, be it ODIs or tests.

JBMAC

State Captain
Ritchie Benaud...all you guys who follow stats check out % of wins in relation to matches

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could that be Gilchrist too? Yes, he captained for a few matches as stop-gap but looked good in that. I think he won most of the matches he captained, be it ODIs or tests.
Gilchrist would have been a fine captain. Possibly unlucky not to get the nod ahead of Ponting when Waugh finished, as he was VC for a bit of that time IIRC. Ponting was always next in line though, already the ODI captain. I think it was just decided that keeping + batting + captain was an unnecessary burden.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As has been said by many mortals far and wide, Geoff Boycott's grandmother could have captained that Aussie side to victory after victory.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke was fairly good tactically but that's not really the whole job is it

Ponting cops a lack of flak for his tactical blunders and rightfully so. But you just know the rest of the team would have run through a brick wall for him.

If given the choice between the two right now, batting skills aside, it's Ponting every day for me.

Spikey

I believe running through walls is not a required part of a cricket and indeed would probably have a very negative impact on the players in the team

this argument is pointless of course due to the extreme amount of subjectivity involved

Last edited:

Spikey

you know who else had followers who would have ran through a wall for their leader

jim jones

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Charlie Manson, on the other hand, would have been a commanding leader on the cricket field.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
By your measure, it’s Bill Lawry. Presumably India awaits its first decent skipper, having never done the mirror image and won in Australia.
Australia is not the final frontier for India. If at all India manages to defeat Aus this year( I think it is unlikely), SA will be the final frontier.