• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was Australia's greatest ever captain?

Who was Australia's Greatest ever captain

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose Pakistan can only look back on Imran's captaincy with pride. India have his counterpart Kapil Dev as well as Pataudi and Ganguly. Dhoni's test captaincy isn't particularly well regarded. Don't know what to make of Gavaskar as a captain. Hutton was a great captain but he too was regarded as too negative at times. Archie Maclaren, Jardine, Brearley, and FS Jackson were reputedy brilliant as well. Shout out to Strauss and Nasser. Australia have indeed been blessed in this regard. Worrell the most inspiring of them all. Impossibly to overlook Lloyd for obvious reasons. Richards never lost a series despite his side ageing. Sobers's reputation as a captain is perhaps forever tainted by a reckless Port of Spain declaration.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Adam Gilchrist.

Border tried, he failed.
Tayor tried, he failed.
Waugh tried, he failed.
Glichrist tried, he succeeded.
Ponting tried after Glichrist succeeded, he failed.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Benaud, Ian Chappell, Mark Taylor, Allan Border, Bradman

In no particular order

Burgey

tbf Australia and England win basically every single 'best depth of any team in cricket history' debate just because their history is just so much longer.

Would be interesting to list out all Test captains from all Test nations and try to evaluate which country produces the best captains on average. Maybe even weight it by number of games captained.
What’s up mate? 70 odd years of test cricket not long enough to get your collective **** together?

Burgey

Adam Gilchrist.

Border tried, he failed.
Tayor tried, he failed.
Waugh tried, he failed.
Glichrist tried, he succeeded.
Ponting tried after Glichrist succeeded, he failed.
By your measure, it’s Bill Lawry. Presumably India awaits its first decent skipper, having never done the mirror image and won in Australia.

Bolo

State Captain
Thoughts on Clarke? He was tactically... interesting.

I know he wasn't exactly beloved, but I think he got a fair bit out of limited resources.

Doesn't fit the AUS captain profile, but worth a thought?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I know he wasn't exactly beloved, but I think he got a fair bit out of limited resources.

I think tactically Clarke was the best I've seen. Ponting was a good man manager but tactically weak.

Border head and shoulders above everyone else for impact on the game and ability to make use of limited resources.

Burgey

Yeah Clarke was tactically brilliant imo but obviously divisive. He took a bloke bowling 125kph and a rookie spinner to SL when they were good in his first series and won there and did funky things which paid off.

I rate Taylor tactically, but tbh I don't understand how Waugh gets marked down as a skipper because he led a great side, when Taylor had the likes of McGrath, Warne, McDermott, Gillespie, Boon, the Waughs, Slater and Healy in his side as well.

Obviously the answer is TOTAB, a reluctant leader whose resolve was forged in the furnace of the dark days of the mid 80s. He was sometimes criticized for not being aggressive enough, but keep in mind the number decent positions his side pissed away when he took over, in between the floggings they received. I mean fmd, he declared twice in the cesspool tied test and nearly lost it. Which is why, after that they used to say he only declared at customs.

TheJediBrah

Clarke's name shouldn't be mentioned here. On-field tactics are only a part of being a good captain and he was **** at the rest of it.

Has to be Border or Waugh I guess. (out of the last 20-30 years)

The greatest captain Australia never had was Shane Warne. That would have been interesting at least.

howardj

International Coach
Under Tubby, we were losing dead rubbers

Still getting toweled up away, although less frequently

But Tugga just squeezed every last drop out of what was a bloody fine rag, granted

Like Buchanan, he was the right person for that time/team

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
IIRC the only rubbers Australia lost during Taylor's reign were in India & Pakistan. Not too shabby at all.

Bolo

State Captain
Tactically brilliant might be a bit too much praise because he made weird mistakes, but I'd say tactically very good to excellent, and brilliant to watch.

But outside of tactics, why doesn't he belong? I feel like he had zero resources when he took over. AUS looked set for a solid run as a really poor test nation. But individuals and the team came right under him

Burgey

Under Tubby, we were losing dead rubbers

Still getting toweled up away, although less frequently

But Tugga just squeezed every last drop out of what was a bloody fine rag, granted

Like Buchanan, he was the right person for that time/team
Tubby was the Tory interloper between the two Labor hard men, Border and Waugh. That's why he was content to be on top because of the hard work of those who went before him, and didn't motivate the team to be its best. It takes a Labor bloke to do that.