• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs Rahul Dravid

Who is the better batsman?

• Total voters

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm sure a couple of people will like the way I voted.
I can never have an original thought. :(

But it is true. Great as Dravid is, he is up against some stiff competition. All superior, all Aussies, and all hated (jealousated) for one reason or another.

re Chappell. You guys all wish you could have someone with the balls to pull of such a move (which was within the rules of the time).
re Border. You guys all wish you could have such a man, instead of wussies who only turn out when it's easy.
re Waugh. You guys all wish you had someone of his steel. The only reason we didn't call him the wall was because we were already calling him a winner.
re Ponting. You guys all wish you could have someone that could hook like he could. Someone who'd put the team before their numbers.
re Smith. You guys all wish you could have someone play so awkwardly but be head and shoulders above everyone else.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
haha you guys get so triggered. Claiming catches that didn't hit the edge or lbws that did is the same as claiming a catch on the bounce - but different. Because australia. If it was the other way around you'd change your aspect just to hate on australia again. Good to see you all choke on your bile. Must be particularly galling because india, pakistan; in fact no one else cheats. Never did. Never will. Pathetic.
ok

Bolo

State Captain
5 Aussies and one other bat in a pole.
Other bat coming stone cold last.
Aussies clearly just better.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting is one of those bloke people will look back on in 20 years and thin his average was exceptional but not all time very great, and wonder why people who watched him rave so hard about his batting.
I was thinking about this and I feel we can add Kanhai and McCabe to this list.

I'm thinking this deserves a thread in its own right.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Ponting was the better batsman in Australia and South Africa. Dravid better every where else. Ponting was also the better umpire.

h_hurricane

I can never have an original thought. :(

But it is true. Great as Dravid is, he is up against some stiff competition. All superior, all Aussies, and all hated (jealousated) for one reason or another.

re Chappell. You guys all wish you could have someone with the balls to pull of such a move (which was within the rules of the time).
re Border. You guys all wish you could have such a man, instead of wussies who only turn out when it's easy.
re Waugh. You guys all wish you had someone of his steel. The only reason we didn't call him the wall was because we were already calling him a winner.
re Ponting. You guys all wish you could have someone that could hook like he could. Someone who'd put the team before their numbers.
re Smith. You guys all wish you could have someone play so awkwardly but be head and shoulders above everyone else.
re Dravid. You guys all wish you could have someone who could lead a team (which was thoroughly Chappelled back in 2007) to a series victory in England after 21 years. Right now, you will also be wishing you had a team ( which was Smithed and Warnered a few months back) half as good as the one you had a decade back.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol, Dravid lasted a New York minute as captain. As is usually the case in a culture steeped in back stabbing and self-interest.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Look, prior to Kohli (who is a massive **** so doesn't count anyway), every Indian batsman ever has been the most boring ****ing batsman to ever play cricket*.

Except Sehwag and VVS, who I liked.

h_hurricane

Lol, Dravid lasted a New York minute as captain. As is usually the case in a culture steeped in back stabbing and self-interest.
Not really. He was captain for more than 2 years. Led his country to test series victory in WI after 35 years in 2006. The following year, led India to first test series victory in England after 21 years. Had a forgettable world cup as captain but that team was anyway Chappelled. Dhoni and Yuvraj flourished under him. IIRC, he resigned as captain (not sacked) and was replaced by Kumble. There was no back stabbing there.