• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sean Ervine announces retirement

Craig

World Traveller
Check the front page to see Sudeep's report.

He is going to Australia but never said when he is returning, so I guess he will play grade cricket in Perth and aim for a contract with Western Australia. No doubt he will contact Murrary Goodwin to help him settle into the place.

Thoughts?

chicane

State Captain
I feel sad for Zimbabwe. Sean was looking good, he played superbly for his hundred against India in the VB series and bowled well against us at perth. Very unfortunate.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will the last cricketer to leave Zimbabwe please turn out the lights - if the ZanuPF CU have left any lightbulbs, that is?

James

Cricket Web Owner
tooextracool said:
pity to see talent like that retire at 21....i really thought he was the next andy flower for zimbabwe.
Could end up seeing him in the green and gold in a few years ;)

Jayzamann

International Regular
James said:
Yes, Sean Ervine was a great bloke, when he fielded at deep 3rd man he would chat to me in the crowd and give me Gatoraide.

I hate to see him go.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Yeah, very sad for him to go. He had a very bright future, such a promising allrounder.

WA's gain is Zims huge loss.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
pity to see talent like that retire at 21....i really thought he was the next andy flower for zimbabwe.
Can anyone please tell me How many Tests he has played, what his average, highest score in Test cricket etc. Apart from the fact that he is leaving Zim at a time of controversy, I feel this chap has hardly achieved anything in International cricket to deserve the publicity he is generating (apart from going out with the daughter of a great Australian opener and ex-coach). He must have planned to leave for Perth any way, some where in his career and the current controversy probably gives him a chance to get his fifteen minutes of stardom. When he has achieved something worthy for WA or in International cricket we can give him all the publicity he needs . But until then, this thread and the publicity he is generating far exceed his cricketing achievement to date .
While everyone following International Cricket sympathises with the rebel cricketers of Zim, we shouldn't go overboard in terms of their cricketing achievements to date. While they may be better than the current team, even those guys were far below the standards of the top 8 Test teams. This includes Heath Streak, whose mediocrity in International cricket does not afford him the credibility or luxury to criticise or shoot at cricketers who have achieved far greater than him such as Murali and Ebrahim whose average in Test cricket is around 20, and whose most consistent scores in Test cricket are 1 and 0.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
JASON said:
Can anyone please tell me How many Tests he has played, what his average, highest score in Test cricket etc. Apart from the fact that he is leaving Zim at a time of controversy, I feel this chap has hardly achieved anything in International cricket to deserve the publicity he is generating (apart from going out with the daughter of a great Australian opener and ex-coach). He must have planned to leave for Perth any way, some where in his career and the current controversy probably gives him a chance to get his fifteen minutes of stardom. When he has achieved something worthy for WA or in International cricket we can give him all the publicity he needs . But until then, this thread and the publicity he is generating far exceed his cricketing achievement to date .
While everyone following International Cricket sympathises with the rebel cricketers of Zim, we shouldn't go overboard in terms of their cricketing achievements to date. While they may be better than the current team, even those guys were far below the standards of the top 8 Test teams. This includes Heath Streak, whose mediocrity in International cricket does not afford him the credibility or luxury to criticise or shoot at cricketers who have achieved far greater than him such as Murali and Ebrahim whose average in Test cricket is around 20, and whose most consistent scores in Test cricket are 1 and 0.
HA!

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/ZIM/E/ERVINE_SM_09010422/

His last three innings were all 50's and although he's not so big as to be given world-class status, he's still probably one of the top 3-5 players in Zimbabwe. Or was. So yes, it is a big deal. A very big deal, because without him, Zimbabwe have even less hope for keeping a test side in the world. He was an important player for Zimbawe's future, and was proving his worth against top teams on the international scene.

Ervine left while ranked 10th in the all-time Zimbabwe ODI batting averages list and although he had not completed his 20 innings to qualify for the test list, if he kept his current average he would be listed as fourth in the all-time Zimbabwe Test batting averages list.

EDIT: To say Streak is mediocre is pretty harsh. To say that Zimbabwe are not as good as the rest of the test nations is fair - although they have been ranked higher than NZ (and England?) at one point and they were also ahead of Bangladesh until the "rebels" left the squad over racism. And yes it is a big deal in international cricket, and they are most certainly NOT doing any of this for money - did Ervine make some massive statement? No. He wrote a letter and was spotted at an airport. Yes, clearly that's making a very, very big deal! Oh ho ho. Also, to say that the rebels are getting more publicity than they deserve is sad, ignorant and narrow minded. This is - er, was - one of the top ten nations in the world of an international game that has lasted over a century. They are sacrificing their international game, they are risking more than anyone else is, they are not doing this to gain, they are diong all of this so they can break even - because the position they were originally in was not an even position.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
JASON said:
The reason why people are making a fuss.

He had the ability and the time to develop into a star for Zimbabwe. It's all about comparisons, compared to the rest of Zimbabwe team, he was good.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Loony BoB said:
HA!

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/ZIM/E/ERVINE_SM_09010422/

Also, to say that the rebels are getting more publicity than they deserve is sad, ignorant and narrow minded.
I think you have misunderstood my post earlier, which clearly says "Everyone in International cricket sympathises with the current state of cricket in Zimbabwe". Nowhere was it mentioned that the rebels are getting more publicity than they deserve. The essence of my post was while all cricket followers appreciate the dire circumstances of Zim cricketers and the political interference in Zim cricket, that does not give them(Zim cricketers) the right to use the opportunity to shoot at other cricket achievers such as Murali. Narrow minded I am not. Try and read the post clearly and understand it before rushing to conclusions.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Who was saying anything about Murali in connection with Ervine leaving? O_o I can't find anything relating to him in this thread up to the point that you mentioned him...

Sorry if I read you wrong, though.

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
The reason why people are making a fuss.

He had the ability and the time to develop into a star for Zimbabwe. It's all about comparisons, compared to the rest of Zimbabwe team, he was good.
yeah i saw the entire innings....amazing performance. i just felt when he was stranded half way down the pitch that carlisle should have got himself run out.... ervine was the one who was really holding that innings together and if he had stayed zimbabwe would have won. that didnt happen though and carlisle felt that since he was the senior player he should get the opportunity to screw it up.

tooextracool

International Coach
James said:
i doubt he'll ever be good enough to get picked for australia....unless australia go through a really rough period and are no longer amongst the top 2 teams in the world :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Will the last cricketer to leave Zimbabwe please turn out the lights - if the ZanuPF CU have left any lightbulbs, that is?
Seeing as they're white lights, I guess not!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Can anyone please tell me How many Tests he has played, what his average, highest score in Test cricket etc. Apart from the fact that he is leaving Zim at a time of controversy, I feel this chap has hardly achieved anything in International cricket to deserve the publicity he is generating

It's called potential, and Ervine appears to have it by the bucketload.

ash chaulk

International Captain
Could we see WA turning into the "old" zimbabwean Team or even south australia.

only cos they have goodwin and flower in there teams... i know id go were my mates are.

and i heard in the news that irvine is going to western australia to try for a contract