• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell Vs Rahul Dravid - who was the better test match batsman?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It's okay mate.

I'd do anything to have that version of Jerome Taylor in our team. I remember like it was yesterday he made his test debut. I was in my first year of high school
I remember too. I used to be a huge fan of Taylor & Jermaine Lawson. Two guys who were as quick and scary as anyone during their early careers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chappell played 96/151 innings in Home conditions. Dravid played on well past his peak. Chappell played in arguably a tougher era for batting, but Dravid has had a much longer career. Dravid's peak batting rating as per the ICC methodology was 892, Chappell's was 883. They both basically average the same thing. They're both great to watch when on song.

It's a wash IMO. Don't think you could decisively say who is better. Both played in very different styles too - I'd rather Dravid to face out a tough spell of bowling, but probably pick Chappell if I wanted someone to hit an aggressive 100.
It's like comparing Tendy against Viv

You simply had to be there

The video of his 112 in 1977 was during a series where he had a nervous breakdown due to WSC breaking and it was still man vs boys

Chappell scored 235 against Pakistan in Pakistan, declared it the worst pitch ever and never went back

Have a look at Chappell, Viv and Barry Richards in WSC - best batting ever against best bowling ever

I actually rate Dravid really highly but Chappell was leagues above Ponting

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I mentioned in that other thread that if you are comparing Dravid to Chappell in terms of quality of batsmanship then I think you have a clearer argument for Chappell. But in terms of their career records and accomplishments, it's a lot closer. Dravid isn't as good a batsman just taking the numbers out of consideration, but he has accomplished quite a lot and has put up performances that make this a close comparison IMO.

All depends what you look for and what you value I suppose.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best batsmen that I have seen

Viv - imagine Gilchrist but slaughtering better bowlers at number 3 in bowler friendly conditions and changed the game

Greg Chappell - classic with a 3 lb bat when it was hard to lift that weight up

Tendy/Lara - great talents.

Border

Dravid

Smith - flaaaaat and no bowlers

Kohli - see Smith

Best bowler has been McGrath as he'd be competitive with them all but Warne would have cleaned up the Windies

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Viv - imagine Gilchrist but slaughtering better bowlers at number 3 in bowler friendly conditions and changed the game

Border

Dravid

Kohli - see Smith

Best bowler has been McGrath as he'd be competitive with them all but Warne would have cleaned up the Windies
No love for Ponting? I do agree Chapell is superior though. Simply because I consider him a better player of spin and equally great at playing pace.

the big bambino

International Captain
Decade by decade there is little difference between batting averages. Rate Viv and Chappell all you like but the conditions were not uniquely or even bowler friendly.

OverratedSanity

Decade by decade there is little difference between batting averages. Rate Viv and Chappell all you like but the conditions were not uniquely bowler friendly.
There is a difference in the number of batsmen putting up those averages though, and it's not just due to more teams playing these days. In the 80s and 90s, no one except the truly elite put up 50+ averages. In the 2000s a bunch of good but not clearly not ATG players started doing it too.

Social definitely selling Smith short imo. Some of the attacks today are superb and honestly better than most of the 2000s attacks Ponting/Dravid faced.

trundler

The 80s and 90s would have to be equally bowling friendly with the 70s being a bit better but the 00s absolutely were far easier for batting. This decade probably has been better than the previous one for bowling.

Slifer

International Captain

Border

Dravid

Kohli - see Smith

The last part. Warne would've cleaned up the Windies??

Burgey

That WI side didn’t play leg spin as well as it did other types of bowling, Clive Lloyd excepted.

SillyCowCorner1

Macgill was the better spinner against Windies

SR of 62.1 versus Warne's 62.7

Stuart only 5 wickets behind Warne's tally of 65

Burgey

I'm talking about the WI side of the 80s mate, not the one of the mid-late 90s.

SillyCowCorner1

Oh that post wasn't in relation to yours.

I was indirectly replying to slifer's warne doing housemaid services.

Burgey

Apologies. I understandably assume every post is made in response to one of mine unless there's another quoted.

That may seem odd, but then again you aren't in my position of being so important.

Slifer

International Captain
That WI side didn’t play leg spin as well as it did other types of bowling, Clive Lloyd excepted.
Well the wi teams warne played weren't particularly great shakes vs leg spin and warne did ok (imo) vs them. And wi warnes time<< 80s. Kallicharan would've torn warne apart.