• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pollard Wicket - Is it Deliberate or unintentional?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, it's dependent on context.

Edit: though this is an example of pretty sloppy usage in a rule/ law making context.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
A lot of Cricket's Laws are very vaguely or poorly worded. Every time we have an umpires course or meeting, there is non stop debate over hypothetical situations and how to apply certain laws (just like in this thread). Naturally you get very contrasting interpretations and applications, and a lot of times we just resort to Law 44 - Common Sense. Understand the intention behind the Law, and apply it as such on a case by case basis. Don't worry so much about the language actually used to write the Law.

TBH even for the interpretation given to me for this Law - I have questions over it. I can fathom a case where a batsman top edges the shot, is unaware of where the ball is, and in trying to locate where it went ends up obstructing a catch. Should he be out? As per the interpretation given to me - yes. But it does feel a bit contradictory to the intention of the Law.

I suppose when you get to International level there can be no leniency in this regard. Given how fierce the competition is, harsher interpretations are favoured in order to remove any grey areas. Kind of like the 'every ball down the legside is a wide' thing that the ICC requests umpires to do for Limited Overs cricket. But I suppose if you're just umpiring a club game you can take a less harsh approach, and whether or not you give a batsman out in this manner can be based on your judgement of his intentions. Allows you to let players off the hook for being just a bit careless and casual, and keeps the spirit of the game intact.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, it's dependent on context.

Edit: though this is an example of pretty sloppy usage in a rule/ law making context.
Damn right it is sloppy. So too, the word 'wilful'. Did they even bother to have some legal eyes peruse the laws? If interpretation relies on the intent of the rule then they should have defined the intentions at the beginning of each rule.

cpr

International Coach
I feel dirty saying this, but I agree with *****.

Wilful doesn't always mean intentional, there's an older meaning (who'd have thought cricket uses words that have meanings that have passed into antiquity) that's more similar to headstrong and stubborn - a wilful act being one carried out without care or thought for consequences. It covers this sort of situation rather well - Pollard is wilful in his intention to annoy Bumrah by swinging his arm in his face, and probably hasn't even thought of any consequences of doing so. Except there are consequences whether he likes it or not, and the use of wilful in the rules allows the umpire to punish those unintended consequences.

Daemon

Tread lightly guys. Walk down this path of fuzzy interpretations and we might just come out the other side with a religious text.

Burgey

I feel dirty saying this, but I agree with *****.

Wilful doesn't always mean intentional, there's an older meaning (who'd have thought cricket uses words that have meanings that have passed into antiquity) that's more similar to headstrong and stubborn - a wilful act being one carried out without care or thought for consequences. It covers this sort of situation rather well - Pollard is wilful in his intention to annoy Bumrah by swinging his arm in his face, and probably hasn't even thought of any consequences of doing so. Except there are consequences whether he likes it or not, and the use of wilful in the rules allows the umpire to punish those unintended consequences.
*z​orax

Don't give him the recognition of capitalising his username.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In fairness to cpr and ankitj I find that if you capitalise '*****' it doesn't autocorrect, while if you don't if corrects to 'borax'. So capitalising it is a little easier, but I do agree with the sentiment.

Burgey

Some things are too important to be left to auto-correct. This is one of them.