• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of Bangladesh 2018

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt WI releases, but if they can get through their overs as quickly as the batsmen will let them (while still bowling well) they can get themselves batting earlier on a better pitch.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Bangladesh got seriously lucky being able to bat first twice. I wanted to see them tested.

Still, this looks like a better pitch, it's turning but not outrageously. No excuse for our batsmen in our first innings. They need to get it done.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The descriptor 'RF' for Roach feels generous, he hasn't touched 140 more than occasionally for a while now.
Roach mk1 was genuine express pace, since his shoulder issues he isn't really an out and out quick anymore, but is a much craftier bowler. Genuinely underrated.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Roach mk1 was genuine express pace, since his shoulder issues he isn't really an out and out quick anymore, but is a much craftier bowler. Genuinely underrated.
Agreed. He's a good, solid, thinking test class seamer. When he, Gabriel (pace) and Holder (bounce, swing, accuracy) are in the same lineup we have a decent pace attack.

Is it just me that thinks a test line-up without a seamer is extremely bad for test cricket and Bangladesh? Yes they might win this series, scramble up to number 8 in the rankings on occasion but they will be annihilated by everyone overseas and be right back where they started.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Gabriel is in the side they are a perfect combination. One quick bugger and the other using guile and experience.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it just me that thinks a test line-up without a seamer is extremely bad for test cricket and Bangladesh? Yes they might win this series, scramble up to number 8 in the rankings on occasion but they will be annihilated by everyone overseas and be right back where they started.
Yep, but it seems to be the cricket is conducted these days in at least Bang and SL, scalp your pitches to give unnaturally large assistance to spinners when spinners will already receive plenty. I don't know why you would bother becoming a pace bowler in either country.

cnerd123

likes this
It's short term thinking. The reason pace bowling stocks suck in those countries is because of how domestic cricket and the pitches are set up. So their solution is just to lean further into spin bowling rather than put work into making pace bowling viable.

Granted I don't know if there is any effort to improve conditions for pace bowling in lower levels of cricket, and hopefully there is, but atm they're clearly more concerned about doing whatever it takes to win games at home

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say I don't really have a problem with it. You have to walk before you can run, and they've still never actually won a Test series against a top eight side. They're obviously close to being able to do that at home now, so I think they should focus on that in the short term before worrying about what their pitch preparation and selection tactics at home will do for their away performances. Once they've won a few series at home they can start looking at the bigger picture, but as of yet I don't think they're in a position to forgo their best strategy in games they can win for the sake of getting slightly less embarrassed in games that aren't really on the table for them yet.

***** is certainly right that they need to be having a look at the domestic pitches though.

cnerd123

likes this
Taijul batting ahead of Naeem. Doing a good job. Clearly wants that third spinner role in overseas games.

Very England-esque recovery from 190/5 as well. Pitch is still flat but looks like there is enough in it for the BD spinners to cause problems

cnerd123

likes this
Naeem's FC stats are pretty terrible. Batting average of 16, bowling of 38

Clearly did a decent job in the first Test. Hope he can stick around to get BD to 500 here