• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great (and meaningless) acts of batting bullying in recent times.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anything scored at Perth in the 2015 Aus vs NZ match. An absolutely horrid pitch.
On this point, Flem will hate me for this, but pretty much all of Ross Taylor's test career post 2012. Piled on mountains of runs against garbage like the 2013 WI tourists, 2016 Zimbabwe and at the aforementioned West Australian highway. Take those out, and his career average for the period drops from nearly 52 to under 30. Continues to look like a club batsman in SA and against anybody who can roll their left arm over in the sub-continent and has done nothing of substance in England since Manchester 2008.

The only really memorable knock of late was that gutsy day 4 ton v Pakistan in 2014, that gave us enough runs to keep the series alive going into the 3rd test.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
remember when AB took over as keeper for SA and he went ages without scoring a ton as keeper? And then in Ricky Ponting's last game Amla and Smith just absolutely destroyed Australia and everyone knew AB was tonning up the moment he got out there. What a guy

3rd Test, South Africa tour of Australia at Perth, Nov 30 - Dec 3 2012 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
That came after a summer too of the Nine commentary just ****ting on AB because the gloves were affecting his batting or something. God that was a depressing match.

I'll raise Misbah's 2014 ton in that second Australian test. Like spanking a corpse.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stephen Fleming bullying Murali in SL..... 1998 with his 78 & 174* & then 2003 with his 274* and 69* helping him to finish with a career average north of 40.

TheJediBrah

That's great batting, not bullying.
Was going to say this. Bullying in the context of this thread kicking someone while they're down eg. Dominating on a road, against a weak attack etc. Not just making a score or batting well.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
SL( not necessarily Jayasuriya's innings) scoring 950 plus against Ind in 1997 is probably the greatest flat track bullying of all time. There was absolutely no effort made to win the test match even after being way ahead of the opposition. Batsmen after batsmen came in and padded up their statistics. SL despite being a superior side during the mid to late 90s could not win a single test match against India during the period.

Flem274*

123/5
On this point, Flem will hate me for this, but pretty much all of Ross Taylor's test career post 2012. Piled on mountains of runs against garbage like the 2013 WI tourists, 2016 Zimbabwe and at the aforementioned West Australian highway. Take those out, and his career average for the period drops from nearly 52 to under 30. Continues to look like a club batsman in SA and against anybody who can roll their left arm over in the sub-continent and has done nothing of substance in England since Manchester 2008.

The only really memorable knock of late was that gutsy day 4 ton v Pakistan in 2014, that gave us enough runs to keep the series alive going into the 3rd test.
that west indian team was considered our equal at the time iirc. in that time frame he's played 2 tests in SA to bring his career total to 4, the other 2 being his dayboo.

during that time period he's also had numerous hamstring and eye problems, with the 290 coming immediately after the first eye surgery and involved him weathering the only world class bowling spell of the match.

you have a semi-reasonable point though. he's gone from averaging low 40s and only turning up against good teams or attacks, usually when NZ are in trouble, to a near 50 averaging batsman who has finally figured out how to cash in against tino best.

his eyes are hopefully fine now. the hamstring will probably never leave. if he's crap against the good attacks he'll face like pakistan at home and australia next summer then your point is vindicated. i can't remember the last time he made it through a summer without missing a series though.

also, if you remove someones big scores then they suck.

edit - i think his 50 or 60 on the hobart green top was better than any of his centuries against australia. without that innings we lose easily.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
edit - i think his 50 or 60 on the hobart green top was better than any of his centuries against australia. without that innings we lose easily.
Oh yes. That is an innings I'll never forget. Damn that was an exciting match.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
The 66 vs England at Lords 2013 was another very good, though largely forgotten innings.

It was a great shame Taylor did not make it through the South African tour here last year - was probably his last chance to improve his record against them.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
SL( not necessarily Jayasuriya's innings) scoring 950 plus against Ind in 1997 is probably the greatest flat track bullying of all time. There was absolutely no effort made to win the test match even after being way ahead of the opposition. Batsmen after batsmen came in and padded up their statistics. SL despite being a superior side during the mid to late 90s could not win a single test match against India during the period.
They won the SC WC in 1996, eventually what matters. :laugh:

Top_Cat

Always grinds my gears that the Hayden 380 is considered bullying or meaningless. The Zimbabwean attack wasn't as bad as the score suggests, was a flat deck and Hayden hit his straps early then monstered them.

If we're going to take big scores off guys for being too easy then Sobers better watch the **** out for bashing a Pakistan attack with only one bowler who lost their second-best guy in the first over.

trundler

You'd have to go back to Hutton's triple ton to find a triple century you can't knock down in that case. Even that was probably on a pancake.

Bijed

International Regular
Always grinds my gears that the Hayden 380 is considered bullying or meaningless. The Zimbabwean attack wasn't as bad as the score suggests, was a flat deck and Hayden hit his straps early then monstered them.

If we're going to take big scores off guys for being too easy then Sobers better watch the **** out for bashing a Pakistan attack with only one bowler who lost their second-best guy in the first over.
I think people are often too quick in general to discount large scores on the grounds of a poor attack/relatively easy conditions. I mean, someone's got to take advantage of these things, otherwise you won't win.

Top_Cat

Sure and totally agree with what you’re saying. But I’d argue about that Zimbabwean attack being poor. Streak and Blignaut opening with Price as the spin option ain’t bad.