• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall vs Steyn (ODIs)

Better ODI Bowler?

• Malcolm Marshall

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Dale Steyn

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Who is the better ODI bowler?
Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w
Malcolm Marshall . 136 134 7175 4233 157 4/18 26.9 3.53 45.7 6 0

Dale Steyn . 118 117 5914 4841 185 6/39 26.16 4.91 . 31.9 4 3

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's pretty weird that the bloke considered the best test bowler ever doesn't even qualify as an ATG in ODIs

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder what Garner's economy rate would be in today's game. He was almost impossible to thrash because of the variable bounce but bigger bats mean edges and mistimed shots going for boundaries.

Last edited:

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
On the flip-side, given some modern insight, I am fairly certain he could have developed a pretty devastating slower ball like Ambrose did.

Napa

Cricket Spectator
Who is the better ODI bowler?
Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w
Malcolm Marshall . 136 134 7175 4233 157 4/18 26.9 3.53 45.7 6 0

Dale Steyn . 118 117 5914 4841 185 6/39 26.16 4.91 . 31.9 4 3
Marshall's Econ is considerably better, but he bowled during a time when scores were 50 to 70 less. Taking that into account, I would say Steyn is slightly ahead.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What is the cut off for great economy rates in this decade? Likes of McGrath and Pollock retired only a decade ago and until then 4.0 was my mental cutoff.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
For all Steyn's undisputed quality, he could go a bit wrong in ODIs from time to time. Take the 2015 WC semi final for example, a lot is made of selecting an undercooked Philander over the fit and firing Kyle Abbott, but Steyn having a real off day was probably a greater contributing factor to their loss. Personally if anything I would rate Morne Morkel equal or almost slightly ahead as a 50 over bowler

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Marshall had one excellent World Cup (83) and one poor World Cup (91/92). I don't recall the circumstances of him missing in '87 during the peak of his career.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For all Steyn's undisputed quality, he could go a bit wrong in ODIs from time to time. Take the 2015 WC semi final for example, a lot is made of selecting an undercooked Philander over the fit and firing Kyle Abbott, but Steyn having a real off day was probably a greater contributing factor to their loss. Personally if anything I would rate Morne Morkel equal or almost slightly ahead as a 50 over bowler
Agreed, I think Steyn in ODIs is overrated, though he was excellent in the 2011 WC and brilliant in that format in 2013. Apart from that, he's been sporadic and I'd take Morkel over him.