• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A cheat is a cheat

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't have different standards for different teams depending on who you support and still take yourself seriously
A - of course I can, I’ve been doing it for 13 years on this site
B - there’s clearly a difference between the actions in terms of the laws of the game, whether you like it or not

There was a big blurry picture of him in this thread but it got deleted
Disgraceful. No doubt one of the evil leftie mods here at CommieWeb is responsible for this.

the big bambino

International Captain
I’ve no problem with them coming back as long as they are thoroughly searched before each session, and a team of umpires follow their every move at all times. Given the way they cheated England out of our hard-earned Ashes, let’s not risk it happening again.
So how did this happen given ...

B - there’s clearly a difference between the actions in terms of the laws of the game, whether you like it or not
?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Disgraceful. No doubt one of the evil leftie mods here at CommieWeb is responsible for this.
:laugh:

I posted it, and then deleted it myself, because:
- It was bigger than I expected
- It was blurrier than I expected
- The fact that Heef and grecian don't post anymore to call me out on it doesn't mean I should be dragging political references into Cricket Chat all the time

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah a cheat is a cheat. It's why all those people moaning that Amir was "spot" fixing rather than "match" fixing and thus was not cheating are ****ing dumb.

JBMAC

State Captain
Smith Warner and Bancroft getting released early for cheating is a joke
This is another ploy by Aus Cricket win at all costs and get them back in the team
A lifetime ban would satisfy me
I'd suggest young fella you learn about the game and it's history before running off at the mouth. Particularly nasty first post IMHO.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

- The fact that Heef and grecian don't post anymore to call me out on it doesn't mean I should be dragging political references into Cricket Chat all the time
I was actually going to comment on it's blurriness and mass

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was actually going to comment on it's blurriness and mass
Yeah it was smaller on the site I stole it from, and of course the low res was less noticeable with it shrunk down. The source image was evidently larger though and just being crammed in by some sort of html sorcery.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah. There isn't a difference.
I'm not getting it. I presume gimh was talking about the 2005 ashes. Haven't English players like Flintoff and Vaughan admitted to altering the condition of the ball by the application of saliva mixed with sweets? If they did, was that against the rules of the time?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not getting it. I presume gimh was talking about the 2005 ashes. Haven't English players like Flintoff and Vaughan admitted to altering the condition of the ball by the application of saliva mixed with sweets? If they did, was that against the rules of the time?
It was. You could say that mints are a foreign substance, which is not allowed, and sandpaper is an 'implement' which is not allowed, but they're both definitely not allowed and there's no difference in the actions and penalties. Then you have people like Dravid who blur the line between the two.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

U evil leftie CommieWeb mod

Victor Ian

International Coach
Langer is pointing the finger at the world today, in the Melbourne Paper (probably all Australian papers).

I don't want Australia cheating. I think cheaters should be punished. I don't think our punishments should be more than anyone else's.

What most annoys me is that, based on the idea (as Langer points out) that the whole world is rife with various methods of ball enhancement, and presuming that everyone will be looking out for this sort of stuff now, we might move into a new era of batting dominance where bowlers are denied an equal footing again.

I've always liked the idea that the ball should belong to the bowler, much as a bat belongs to the batsman. I'd like to see ball technology come into play - limited like bats - and each bowler to have their own ball. We could have a Kookaburra, Duke and SG all in the same game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We are arguing two distinct points:
1. You are saying that cricketers are factually held to different standards -- which I am willing to accept.
2. I am arguing that cricketers shouldn't be held to different standards (because the whole notion that cricket forms an important part of our culture is a media-fueled myth).

Perhaps what concerns me the most is this idea that Australian cricketers were morally squeaky clean altar boys before Newlands.

Sledging, for instance, in other sports is not tolerated, so why is it accepted in cricket and the Aussies seem to be the pioneers of this practice. If you sledge somebody in baseball, you will get drilled during your next at-bat (or your team's best player in lieu of you).
Sledging is commonplace in many sports with golf being one of the rare exceptions

Last night, an Olympic gold medal winner gave a speech at Social Jnr's sports night and she described the tricks her opponents used to put her off & foremost among them was sledging

She was a 16yo swimmer at the time

Daemon

I'm in Australia atm. I've seen like 3 posters from foxtel and an empty bar showing cricket highlights. The 43 points for CA to improve on got a little 100 word side piece on the front page.

On the other hand advertisements for some dumb race where humans ride 3 year old beautiful horses to the ground is all over the place.

Get your priorities right.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was. You could say that mints are a foreign substance, which is not allowed, and sandpaper is an 'implement' which is not allowed, but they're both definitely not allowed and there's no difference in the actions and penalties. Then you have people like Dravid who blur the line between the two.
Oh so they rubbed mints on the ball? Lol

morgieb

I'm in Australia atm. I've seen like 3 posters from foxtel and an empty bar showing cricket highlights. The 43 points for CA to improve on got a little 100 word side piece on the front page.

On the other hand advertisements for some dumb race where humans ride 3 year old beautiful horses to the ground is all over the place.

Get your priorities right.
You'll see more cricket stuff in a couple of weeks.

I agree the fetishing of horse racing is stupid though.

the big bambino

International Captain
Well then he seems to be seeing things that didn't actually happen. If he is talking about the most recent ashes then no one cheated England out of them. Then he seems to "see" a distinction between English ball tampering and Australian ball tampering. As if Englishness absolves all guilt. Anyway some may believe it because he seems to be able to talk out of his arse with conviction.