• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2018

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
8 for 23, that’s shambolic ... I don’t care about these 20-20s, but that’s not great for the confidence going into the ODIs and tests ...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugh. I was looking forward to watching a recording of this, but I think I'll pass.

But well played Pakistan.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I don't care that much but at one point we were ranked #1 weren't we? It does sting that we couldn't take a win off the Pakistanis.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
All it really serves to suggest is that our depth in our batting stocks is really lacking - but we knew that already. Obviously bowling we think we're pretty damn well stocked in all forms, possibly T20 less so (but who cares) but our batting depth is non-existent. I don't think any of us care much at all about a 3-match T20 series otherwise - I'd say we did pretty well to compete strongly with a T20 side as successful as Pakistan in conditions that suit them more.

I had high hopes for Chapman but his likelihood of being at the World Cup next year is dropping match by match.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This team just keeps demonstrating the same batting problems that have limited us in odis and t20s for a while. Can't capitalise on a start with a bad middle order, none of the next generation (Philips, Seifert, Chapman) doing anything. De Grandhomme is Mr Casual and it costs us. Taylor involved in a run out. The bowlers aren't any good with the bat either.

So we are left clutching at straws as to which of the middle order to retain - Anderson had one score so keep him for the odis, but of course, he has a niggle. No one else has done anything. Philips or Worker for opener? Little strong evidence either way, so just guess? Sometimes sides struggle cos their established players aren't performing, but ours are, it's just the next rung down are failing to step up.

Bowlers are better though the lack of success for spin bowlers is a bit of a concern.

slippy888

International Captain
This team just keeps demonstrating the same batting problems that have limited us in odis and t20s for a while. Can't capitalise on a start with a bad middle order, none of the next generation (Philips, Seifert, Chapman) doing anything. De Grandhomme is Mr Casual and it costs us. Taylor involved in a run out. The bowlers aren't any good with the bat either.

So we are left clutching at straws as to which of the middle order to retain - Anderson had one score so keep him for the odis, but of course, he has a niggle. No one else has done anything. Philips or Worker for opener? Little strong evidence either way, so just guess? Sometimes sides struggle cos their established players aren't performing, but ours are, it's just the next rung down are failing to step up.

Bowlers are better though the lack of success for spin bowlers is a bit of a concern.
Why is Nicholls not in team

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
This really was a disappointing loss. If you play well and lose by small margins that's fine. T20 does go both ways but any game you lose without batting 20 overs is not a great show. Any margin over 20 runs means one of the team hasn't had a chance.

smash84

The Tiger King
pakistan winning 11th series in a row. The height of meaningless victories.

Expect pak to **** all over themselves when the world cup arrives

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Am I the only one who feels we're going to struggle badly after 2-3 years once Guptill and Taylor decline/retire?

Kane is going to have to carry the batting and the new generation doesn't seem any good or have the potential to be world class and fill the holes Guptill and Taylor will leave.

We could end up as the new SL (once Sanga and Mahela retired) or WI with Kane (Lara, obviously not as good) carrying the team.

With how mediocre our middle order has been, I'm expecting us to go out early in the WC. We're a poor man's India atm except our top 3 is nowhere as good as theirs.

I yearn for the day we have a superstar on the level of a Kohli who wins games on his own, the closest we've gotten is Bond but that was short lived :(

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only one who feels we're going to struggle badly after 2-3 years once Guptill and Taylor decline/retire?

Kane is going to have to carry the batting and the new generation doesn't seem any good or have the potential to be world class and fill the holes Guptill and Taylor will leave.

We could end up as the new SL (once Sanga and Mahela retired) or WI with Kane (Lara, obviously not as good) carrying the team.

With how mediocre our middle order has been, I'm expecting us to go out early in the WC. We're a poor man's India atm except our top 3 is nowhere as good as theirs.

I yearn for the day we have a superstar on the level of a Kohli who wins games on his own, the closest we've gotten is Bond but that was short lived :(
I for one am shocked that you've taken a pessimistic perspective.

We won 10 out of 13 ODI's last summer, including 2 against the best team in the world. Yes Taylor is a huge part of our team's chances (as shown by the fact that in ODI games played against England where Taylor was fit, we won 2-1, but lost 0-2 when Taylor was out). Yes we'll miss him when he's gone. But Guptill is still young enough that he could easily play in the 2023 World Cup. Latham has made great strides in ODI cricket last season, and Munro has proven himself a proficient pinch hitter at the top of the order. What's more, trying to guess how the next gen will develop over the next few years is a mug's game. Writing off Chapman, Phillips and Seifert after a half dozen games (not to mention some of the emerging players in domestics) at this point is premature, especially when a lot of these guys are coming out of the off season with little competitive cricket behind them.

Which isn't to say that there aren't reasons to be concerned - you're right that the middle order is a problem with neither CdG nor Corey offering a genuine solution at this point, and that that's the biggest obstacle to going deep at the 2019 tournament. But thinking that we'll end up like SRL or WI in a few years on the back of a bad run in T20I's is very premature.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
I for one am shocked that you've taken a pessimistic perspective.

We won 10 out of 13 ODI's last summer, including 2 against the best team in the world. Yes Taylor is a huge part of our team's chances (as shown by the fact that in ODI games played against England where Taylor was fit, we won 2-1, but lost 0-2 when Taylor was out). Yes we'll miss him when he's gone. But Guptill is still young enough that he could easily play in the 2023 World Cup. Latham has made great strides in ODI cricket last season, and Munro has proven himself a proficient pinch hitter at the top of the order. What's more, trying to guess how the next gen will develop over the next few years is a mug's game. Writing off Chapman, Phillips and Seifert after a half dozen games (not to mention some of the emerging players in domestics) at this point is premature, especially when a lot of these guys are coming out of the off season with little competitive cricket behind them.

Which isn't to say that there aren't reasons to be concerned - you're right that the middle order is a problem with neither CdG nor Corey offering a genuine solution at this point, and that that's the biggest obstacle to going deep at the 2019 tournament. But thinking that we'll end up like SRL or WI in a few years on the back of a bad run in T20I's is very premature.
We've won 1 T20 out of the last 10.

Haven't won an away T20 series in more than 5 years.

We've lost 5 series out of our lost 7, the two wins came against the WI and Bangladesh at home.

It's definitely premature, but I can't help but feel this is our fate unless the next crop are much better than the likes of Phillips, Chapman, Anderson, CdG etc. But there doesn't appear to be anyone coming through at the domestic level and the ones who have shone have only disappointed. They could definitely improve, but with what they've shown so far potential wise, I'm not very hopeful.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We've won 1 T20 out of the last 10.

Haven't won an away T20 series in more than 5 years.

We've lost 5 series out of our lost 7, the two wins came against the WI and Bangladesh at home.

It's definitely premature, but I can't help but feel this is our fate unless the next crop are much better than the likes of Phillips, Chapman, Anderson, CdG etc. But there doesn't appear to be anyone coming through at the domestic level and the ones who have shone have only disappointed. They could definitely improve, but with what they've shown so far potential wise, I'm not very hopeful.
The last 5 years encompasses a period of time when we've had our best ever ODI side, and one of our best ever test sides. Who cares if we've struggled to win pointless T20 bilaterals away from home?

As for the likes of Phillips and Chapman, it is just too early to say that they're not up to scratch, let alone whether the next generation coming up behind them will be any good. Equally, writing Anderson off as a spent force is fatalistic. Kane Williamson had a dreadful start to his ODI career. Grant Elliot faded in and out of form many times. Who knows where the likes of Finn Allen and Rachin Ravindra will be 2 or 3 years from now. There's even the chance that somebody like a Josh Clarkson or a Christian Leopard could make an impact on our World Cup fortunes in the near term.

Look, you're perfectly entitled to your pessimism, and a stopped clock is bound to tell the right time eventually. But I don't share your attitude that the team is going to fall apart in the next couple years.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan are in really good form in T20s. They've also managed to win in NZ etc. so it's not just home bullying.

Gomez656

U19 Cricketer
Did you remember Nathan McCullum/ Sodhi and Santner's trio beat india in india?

World t20i, india dismissed in 79.NZ should never visits in Asian sub continent without their better spinner

They need 3 spinner all capable of handy batsman just like santner.They need 2 seamers allrounder @ opener who can keep wicket

Taylor no longer good for t20's.NZ will do better in 50/50.

Seth Rance 3/0/13/0 ( 8 dot) he was hidden while they loose series

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ should never visits in Asian sub continent without their better spinner
Injured though.

Thinking man's Somerville did well here a month ago. Shame that would be a bit too much of a clever and hunchy one for Stead and Larsen. They'll wait to see if Moosey Brucey and co. can cloth Somerville for a high economy on a postage stamp.