• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latest Review into Australian Cricket

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbf I do recall that Cowan quote Spikey mentioned. I don't mean to put down a whole sporting population, but I thought he was more referring to his level of education since Cowan is probably widely smarter and more knowledgeable than most of his peers. Like most cricketers would think Schopenhauer is something you drink every Oktoberfest.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I think one of the biggest things to come out of the review is the (not very shocking) finding that CA is money-hungry.

This feeds into:

- scheduling (the ridiculous expansion of the Big Bash this Summer, and the way the JLT and Shield has to fit in around it)
- TV rights (not ensuring that ODIs are on FTA)
- international players not being given a chance to play the less profitable competitions (Shield, JLT, grade cricket).

As the review points out, CA are a non-profit organisation and a key part of their charter is to ensure that the game is strong at all levels.

Australian cricket is a system, and unless all parts of that system are strong (including Shield and grade cricket) then there's eventually going to be a dearth of talent which we are perhaps witnessing now.
Yep, the scheduling and the blatant disrespect shown to the domestic ODIs and Shield is what needs fixing. Not this smile with us c**p. It's rare I agree with Warne but that made the bile rise.

howardj

International Coach
Yep, the scheduling and the blatant disrespect shown to the domestic ODIs and Shield is what needs fixing. Not this smile with us c**p. It's rare I agree with Warne but that made the bile rise.
Absolutely, Sir.

For me, the real signs that CA have changed their ways are not personnel changes - although, granted, guys like Sutherland and Howard needed to go - but rather policy changes such as investing in and placing importance on non profitable aspects of the cricket system such as domestic and grade cricket. Cricket where possible should also be broadcast on FTA channels irrespective of attractive deals offered by subscription TV.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Clarke's socio-economic background is basically the same as every other Metro NSW cricketer though? Public school, middle class, etc. I know i read an Ed Cowan quote where he mentioned he felt a bit out of place and that he wasn't taken as seriously because he was a private school boy (NSW cricketers, at least up until the 2000s, very rarely came through private schools. Cowan and Jackson Bird are two of the only ones. I suspect it's probably a bit different now)
Clarke’s autobio was highly irritating in how much he tried to push how much of a working-class battler he was when evidence suggested otherwise - his Dad ran or perhaps even owned a local sports centre. Mitchell Johnson’s autobio (a far better read) without him pushing the fact was much more convincing in illustrating he didn’t have an exactly prosperous childhood.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I think one of the biggest things to come out of the review is the (not very shocking) finding that CA is money-hungry.

This feeds into:

- scheduling (the ridiculous expansion of the Big Bash this Summer, and the way the JLT and Shield has to fit in around it)
- TV rights (not ensuring that ODIs are on FTA)
- international players not being given a chance to play the less profitable competitions (Shield, JLT, grade cricket).

As the review points out, CA are a non-profit organisation and a key part of their charter is to ensure that the game is strong at all levels.

Australian cricket is a system, and unless all parts of that system are strong (including Shield and grade cricket) then there's eventually going to be a dearth of talent which we are perhaps witnessing now.
Reading through Geoff Lemon’s account on the sandpaper saga and associated issues, he convincingly illustrates this case in depth. It’s still depressing to read how Ch 10 were prepared to broadcast everything on FTA (even some Sheffield Shield apparently) but because their bid didn’t reach the magical billion dollar mark (important for CA and their ego to suggest they’re competing with NRL & AFL) they went for bigger bid and far less FTA cricket. Such a waste.

social

Private schools don’t produce many FC players because they don’t play grade cricket young enough so I’m guessing that mentality does exist
In Queensland, private school boys can play at least half a season of grade cricket as their season only runs in term 1 (http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36041209)

They can also play Sunday fixtures if they so desire

Not sure whether it's the same elsewhere in the country but the excuse doesnt really hold up anymore

Starfighter

Our junior cricket ran both sides of the summer break but a good proportion of the better players played both junior and grade on the same day.

With age bowling restrictions I don't really think that's possible now.

social

Okay, so here's my 5 cents worth on junior cricket in Queensland and is based on the experiences of Social Jnr so I know that it's real life

Jack & Burgey will undoubtedly be able to compare it to other parts

The representative progression of young cricketers is club/school > district > region > etc

You cannot move up a level unless you've been chosen at a lower one i.e. must play for your district before playing for the region

All sounds half logical so far but devil is in the detail

Trials for the FOLLOWING year's district teams take place at the end of the current season.

What this means is that any player not chosen in say, March 2018, cannot play any form of rep cricket until at least Nov/Dec 2019 irrespective of how well they do

Furthermore, priority is given to players chosen previously as they have shown "the necessary commitment" (they actually spell this bs out in writing) and this continues through to senior levels

In the meantime, players are growing/maturing/improving at different rates and 6-12 months can make a huge difference

To make matters worse, some kids are being actively recruited by other sports and are sometimes forced to make a choice between them and cricket (e.g. basketball is pretty much year round from a young age)

From my experience, cricket needs an overhaul from the ground up

howardj

International Coach
The man who has gotten off scot-free in all this?

Gavin Dovey, Australian team manager (replaced Steve Bernard in the role back in...wait for it...all the way back in 2011

Before this, he was Operations Manager for England's rugby team

Previously, Dovey worked for the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority before moving to a role managing anti-doping with the England rugby union

Him and Howard with no background in cricket

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Does he actually do much

The guys like Pat Howard and GChappell seem to do all the structural damage