• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Mrs Burgey wants to holiday in Goa next year after we go to Dubai for a work conference. I know it looks lovely and all, but it's too close to Chennai for comfort.
It's like a 1000 km distance. Still too close, I'd agree.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd think that different populations could potentially have different %s though wouldn't you? I would assume that having "violent social tendencies" would be dependent on environmental factors to a considerable degree, and different populations can have very different influencing environmental factors.

I'd say my potential for violent social tendencies would increase a lot living in a hot climate (without air con) for example. I hate being hot and sweaty.
Sociopaths are just people who lack the ability to empathise. They often become leaders in business our other endeavours. Sometimes they are violent but often times they're not. They can be quite charming as they will do and say things to get what they want out of others. They're a small but steady percentage of the population across all cultures.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You'd think that different populations could potentially have different %s though wouldn't you? I would assume that having "violent social tendencies" would be dependent on environmental factors to a considerable degree, and different populations can have very different influencing environmental factors.

I'd say my potential for violent social tendencies would increase a lot living in a hot climate (without air con) for example. I hate being hot and sweaty.
Yes and no; the likelyhood on acting out on your violent tendencies would increase in say a more violent environment; whereas in a more safe environment with a more standard upbringing you might find another outlet. Standard nurture versus nature etc argument. Technically psychopath is a type of antisocial disorder. That of course does not mean a free card to do with it what you want, you still have self control. Not every psychopath is some deranged killer, not every killer is some deranged psychopath.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sociopaths are just people who lack the ability to empathise. They often become leaders in business our other endeavours. Sometimes they are violent but often times they're not. They can be quite charming as they will do and say things to get what they want out of others. They're a small but steady percentage of the population across all cultures.
Getting overly technical sociopath and psychopath not quite the same... very similar though.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This topic can get too dark. And I don't know why I should know many serial killers by name but I do. Anyway, you might be looking for this:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-have-produced-the-most-serial-killers.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_country

On gun violence, yes getting a gun legally here is not easy and thank God for that. There are places where lot of people who still do own guns possibly illegally. District I was born in is infamous for that, same district as Pan Singh Tomar :ph34r: Still mass shootings are unheard of. It may have to do with just knowing that mass indiscriminate shooting is a thing in a place like US.
As long as you're not in UP/Bihar, you're relatively OK w.r.t violent crime, I guess.

Thank goodness mass shootings aren't a thing in India, the death tolls would be unthinkable with the crowds over here. People die in hundreds in stampedes, stupid safety violations like the Amritsar Dussehra incident etc. FFS. Just those 5-6 guys in the Mumbai terrorist attack alone killed so many people. :(

Spark

Global Moderator
so just as an fyi to everyone, the news/politics subbie exists for a reason. we should try to keep this at least tangentially related to cricket here.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah doubtless India and Pakistan are very corrupt across the board, but I did have cricketing corruption in mind when starting this thread so it would be good to keep it on that.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah doubtless India and Pakistan are very corrupt across the board, but I did have cricketing corruption in mind when starting this thread so it would be good to keep it on that.
Well I think the original question has been pretty much answered with regards to lack of gambling regulation on one side, and poor economics for certain countries that make those players more likely to succumb.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I suppose so, but there are interesting questions about the cultural drivers and issues underpinning the status quo. I mean, why has no regulatory framework worth its salt ever emerged in these countries? Presumably because there is not enough of an appetite for the creation of such a thing. Which in turn raises questions about corruption being ingrained in the cultural fabric of some nations.

cnerd123

likes this
Well I think the original question has been pretty much answered with regards to lack of gambling regulation on one side, and poor economics for certain countries that make those players more likely to succumb.
Also math

If you add up the population of all the cricket playing nations, the total population of these asian countries alone would account for more than 80%.

From that angle, the non asian countries producing 40% of corrupt cricketers proves that the Asian countries are more honest than the rest of the world.

cnerd123

likes this
Do the numbers Sledger - what percentage of all international cricketers (since ICC ACU was formed) are from the subcontinent, and how does the % of players banned match up?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose so, but there are interesting questions about the cultural drivers and issues underpinning the status quo. I mean, why has no regulatory framework worth its salt ever emerged in these countries? Presumably because there is not enough of an appetite for the creation of such a thing. Which in turn raises questions about corruption being ingrained in the cultural fabric of some nations.
Well yes, it is standard corruption and as long as the people in power (directly/indirectly) continue to benefit then it will continue.

But from the cultural point of view it is a small issue amongst much bigger issues. From a SA point of view we have been caught up in this betting corruption a number of times, particular at FC level, it is generally because their is not enough money at FC level combined with a country that has so many bigger social and economic issues and criminality that really it is near the bottom of the public's concerns. People here in SA do really ignore the law with regards to the 'small stuff', largely because they just get away with it, which creates a mental attitude of "well why not".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well yes, it is standard corruption and as long as the people in power (directly/indirectly) continue to benefit then it will continue.

But from the cultural point of view it is a small issue amongst much bigger issues. From a SA point of view we have been caught up in this betting corruption a number of times, particular at FC level, it is generally because their is not enough money at FC level combined with a country that has so many bigger social and economic issues and criminality that really it is near the bottom of the public's concerns. People here in SA do really ignore the law with regards to the 'small stuff', largely because they just get away with it, which creates a mental attitude of "well why not".
Yeah, makes sense. Institutional societal corruption I guess.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
As opposed to your statistically significant conclusions drawn from a massive sample size of 25?
If I have missed out any players banned from international cricket for corruption please feel free to introduce them to the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.