• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In India there is a tendency to not see "victimless crimes" as crimes. Breaking traffic rules or taking bribe or evading taxes doesn't exactly kill or hamh anyone. So big deal! That's the attitude that may be responsible for prevalence of fixing in cricket.

On the other hand, India doesn't have anyone near as many psychopathic serial killers or mass shooters as in many other countries. Don't know what explains this part.
Any statistics for that, or gut feeling? I feel we have just as many psychopaths as anyone else.

We however don't have freely available firearms, thank goodness for that...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Every country has about the same % of psychopaths in their population.... it is the ability to identify and report them that changes country to country,

TheJediBrah

Any statistics for that, or gut feeling? I feel we have just as many psychopaths as anyone else.

Yeah I definitely questioned that. Might be right about "serial killers" and "mass shootings" but they are very specific types of crimes to be focusing on. I'm not sure looking on India as if it's a sort of crime-free utopia with one weakness for gambling is particularly realistic.

Every country has about the same % of psychopaths in their population.... it is the ability to identify and report them that changes country to country,
If identifying it is an issue then how would you know every country has about the same %?

Last edited:

Burgey

IIRC the estimate for the US done by the Murder Accountability Centre is that at any given time there are approximately 2,000 active serial killers grazing and hunting from a population of 325 million (FBI defines a serial killer as someone who kills two or more people with a cooling off period in between). Another study puts it as low as 54, so there's a huge disparity in the data, but I think the consensus is the rate (regardless of how it's defined depending on different definitions - some people use 3 or more killings as the baseline - and the rate at which the crimes actually being linked) is static across populations.

Serial killers are a bit of macabre hobby of mine, I admit. It helps me understand the emotionally devoid like *****.

Athlai

Not Terrible
IIRC the estimate for the US done by the Murder Accountability Centre is that at any given time there are approximately 2,000 active serial killers grazing and hunting from a population of 325 million (FBI defines a serial killer as someone who kills two or more people with a cooling off period in between). Another study puts it as low as 54, so there's a huge disparity in the data, but I think the consensus is the rate (regardless of how it's defined depending on different definitions - some people use 3 or more killings as the baseline - and the rate at which the crimes actually being linked) is static across populations.

Serial killers are a bit of macabre hobby of mine, I admit. It helps me understand the emotionally devoid like *****.
It'd be fairly creepy if ***** liked this.

Burgey

Having said that rates of serial killers are regarded as generally quite static across populations, it should be said that Chennai is regarded as a hot bed of psychopathic serial killer activity. It’s one of its numerous charms.

cpr

International Coach
On the other hand, India doesn't have anyone near as many psychopathic serial killers or mass shooters as in many other countries. Don't know what explains this part.
Ah India, where its safe to walk down the street, but not to get on a bus if you're a lone female.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Safe to get on a bus for a lone lady unless you count being groped as unsafe, which would be fair.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If identifying it is an issue then how would you know every country has about the same %?
It is a standard % of population; psychopaths is a technical term for people with violent social tendencies. Why some people are like that is a difficult question. Whether those people act out on those tendencies is another. But the percentage in populations has been studied well enough that on large scale stays pretty constant. Obviously tends to have higher % in prison populations!

TheJediBrah

It is a standard % of population; psychopaths is a technical term for people with violent social tendencies. Why some people are like that is a difficult question. Whether those people act out on those tendencies is another. But the percentage in populations has been studied well enough that on large scale stays pretty constant. Obviously tends to have higher % in prison populations!
You'd think that different populations could potentially have different %s though wouldn't you? I would assume that having "violent social tendencies" would be dependent on environmental factors to a considerable degree, and different populations can have very different influencing environmental factors.

I'd say my potential for violent social tendencies would increase a lot living in a hot climate (without air con) for example. I hate being hot and sweaty.

Burgey

Mrs Burgey wants to holiday in Goa next year after we go to Dubai for a work conference. I know it looks lovely and all, but it's too close to Chennai for comfort.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

This topic can get too dark. And I don't know why I should know many serial killers by name but I do. Anyway, you might be looking for this:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-have-produced-the-most-serial-killers.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_country

On gun violence, yes getting a gun legally here is not easy and thank God for that. There are places where lot of people who still do own guns possibly illegally. District I was born in is infamous for that, same district as Pan Singh Tomar :ph34r: Still mass shootings are unheard of. It may have to do with just knowing that mass indiscriminate shooting is a thing in a place like US.

Status
Not open for further replies.