• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
They need a VVS Labuschagne 281
I have a colleague who is into cricket but he was born in 1996. He has no idea that the reason teams are reluctant to follow-on in Tests is because of one innings by VVS Laxman in 2001 in Kolkata against an Australian team on a 16 Test undefeated streak who were 1-0 up in India.

Spark

Global Moderator
I kind of wonder how much of it is actually that tbh, as opposed to sports science warning teams about the risks of having bowlers bowl two full innings on the bounce.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I kind of wonder how much of it is actually that tbh, as opposed to sports science warning teams about the risks of having bowlers bowl two full innings on the bounce.
Perhaps it is a myth but I enjoyed explaining to him the impact of this one epic innings.

cnerd123

likes this
We've had 4 follow-ons enforced in 2018, and six in 2017. So it's not like sides have abandoned it completely either.

I think the VVS innings is a big reason why sides don't enforce a follow-on unless they have a really massive lead in relatively low-scoring games in decent bowling conditions. It's why teams choose to be conservative and just bat another quick 3rd innings. But in high scoring games on flat pitches in a live series, it's probably because they don't want to wreck their bowlers.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
We've had 4 follow-ons enforced in 2018, and six in 2017. So it's not like sides have abandoned it completely either.

I think the VVS innings is a big reason why sides don't enforce a follow-on unless they have a really massive lead in relatively low-scoring games in decent bowling conditions. It's why teams choose to be conservative and just bat another quick 3rd innings. But in high scoring games on flat pitches in a live series, it's probably because they don't want to wreck their bowlers.
One innings by an fairly unknown batsmen against a team with a level of dominance that would be completely alien in the modern Test game. With Tony Greig commentating. So many levels of epic.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, it is a bit weird of captains to think that they shouldn't be enforcing follow on because of one epic innings. The only real reason should be bowlers' workload.

VVS's 281 was no doubt an epic innings, but one thing which helped India there was that the match had moved ahead at a furious pace. At the end of 3rd day after Dravid joined Laxman at the crease, India were only 20 runs from making Aus bat again. A 281 from any of the Aussie batters here is not going to help them as they are behind by 386 at the same stage.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
make sure you stands up near tv at 4.30 am IST TOMORROW

98.3 overs will be bowls tomorrow
I predicted an easy Indian victory before the series

Anyone that didn’t is either a complete homer, Ghambiring or ignorant of Australia’s domestic scene

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a fun Kolkata story is after all that australia needed to survive 80 odd overs and the current australian coach hit 28 off 21 (2 sixes) for some reason

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith's failure to enforce the follow on in Adelaide 2017 was singlehandedly one of the most dimwitted bits of captaincy I have ever seen. A huge part of why I never want to see him lead Australia again.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith's failure to enforce the follow on in Adelaide 2017 was singlehandedly one of the most dimwitted bits of captaincy I have ever seen. A huge part of why I never want to see him lead Australia again.
Honestly I didn't think it was terrible. I know people hate bare stats but Charles Davis did do the calculation on matches since about 1990 and the fact is you are better off batting again up to the end of the third day.

Spark

Global Moderator
It really wasn't. Australia batted like clowns in that second innings and still didn't get anywhere near to losing the game.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly I didn't think it was terrible. I know people hate bare stats but Charles Davis did do the calculation on matches since about 1990 and the fact is you are better off batting again up to the end of the third day.
Day Night Test, ball h00ping around corners under lights, should have sent them back in, keep those bastards right under the pump. But instead we batted, all that did was give Jimmy some undeserved cheap wickets

cnerd123

likes this
i wonder how much VVS's 281 affected those stats

Burgey

Yeah, we have been a bit lucky with the tosses for a change. Would take it with both hands though. This is a historic first triumph in Australia. Will never be expecting to win 4 tosses though. Kohli is no Root.
I want to make it clear that I don’t attribute this result to the tosses - India has outplayed Australia and thoroughly deserve this result. Once it became attritional they embraced it and were prepared to bat time and play a long game. Full credit to them.

Burgey

a fun Kolkata story is after all that australia needed to survive 80 odd overs and the current australian coach hit 28 off 21 (2 sixes) for some reason
Of all the #intent teams to take the field, that was the #intentiest of all time.