• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So even he admits he knew about it before they went on the field? Puts to bed all the talk about Smith having "no idea" until it actually happened. What a weak, weak leader.
This isn't new information. It was reported when it happened that Smith noticed them concocting something and said something along the lines of "I don't want to know about it" and ignored it. How you interpret that relative to him "knowing about it" is up to the individual. I don't think anyone disagreed at any stage that he is a weak leader. Ftr I've been saying since he was made captain years ago.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean he clearly shouldn't have been captain and shouldn't ever captain a side of national importance ever again, but we already knew that

Daemon

The logic is that I cbf to find the right thread

also i knew os and tjb would instantly reply

BSM

U19 Cricketer
It's funny to think that only a few months before the ball-tampering scandal, the Australian media were accusing Anderson of ball tampering when he was cleaning dirt off the ball right in front of the Umpire; a pretty illogical place to tamper with the ball but a lot of people ran with it regardless. I seem to remember one commentator even suggested that 'it wasn't a good look' or something trying to engender accusations. Just amusing how the tables turned so dramatically on that one.

I don't think he'll completely flop on his return but I think people are being too hopeful if they think Smith will just automatically return to his peak. 1. He seemed to be reaching a bit of bad form in South Africa anyway. 2. Despite not having the strain of captaincy anymore, being a recognised cheat will present its own pressures. It might well make him more determined to make runs and make up for it but, determination to make things right doesn't get you anywhere on its own. Smith has skill as well, obviously, but I just don't see how he'll be able to return to his best straight a way. He'd have been away from the top of the game for over a year by the Ashes and will face a very hostile crowed. If he does retain his best form and become even better as some people seem to think is likely, then fair play. I just don't really see it.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Don't you know he'll be hungry? He'll be so hungry for runs; he'll be hungry to perform. He's gonna score 10,000 runs in a season, he'll break Lara's 400 record he'll be so hungry.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His performance in South Africa is waaaaay too read into by detractors. He can't score a century every test. And two tests where he failed(the second of which he had to bat after the scandal had leaked, was probably in a very weird mental state) are not really indictive of anything.

His test series right before that sawn off SA series was a 700 run performance lest we forget

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
He was clearly mentally exhausted after the Ashes, he didn't make a run at all in the ODIs either. Astonishing how CA didn't give him a break then.

Burgey

Yeah he was cooked in SA.

Doesn’t detract from the fact he shouldn’t skipper again. Wrong bloke, and appointed too young as well.

As for these suggestions re ball tampering by the Poms, lets be honest here, they have plenty of form

Kirkut

International Regular
If customized bats are allowed, then ball tampering and chucking should be allowed too. The batsman always has more freedom than the bowler.

Chrish

International Debutant
His performance in South Africa is waaaaay too read into by detractors. He can't score a century every test. And two tests where he failed(the second of which he had to bat after the scandal had leaked, was probably in a very weird mental state) are not really indictive of anything.

His test series right before that sawn off SA series was a 700 run performance lest we forget
So by your own admission, he couldn't handle the real pressure? :ph34r: