• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

cnerd123

likes this
Rahane is such a poor starter against spin. Great decision to have Lyon start the day.

Game over now, going to take something special from Hanuma and Pant to get the lead from here

BSM

U19 Cricketer
FC average of 59 jesus. not bad
To be fair I get the impression that Indian fc averages are generally very inflated. There's so many players averaging north of 50 compared to other FC set ups but many still end up exposed at the highest level

Spark

Global Moderator
To be fair I get the impression that Indian fc averages are generally very inflated. There's so many players averaging north of 50 compared to other FC set ups but many still end up exposed at the highest level
It is worth saying though that this situation, like Australia in the 90s, does a far better job of consistently churning out Test quality batsmen who can reliably make big scores when set than the alternative, i.e. what England and Australia have had over the last decade. Even if the conditions aren't hard, having batsmen learn the art of constructing big innings is a big positive.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is worth saying though that this situation, like Australia in the 90s, does a far better job of consistently churning out Test quality batsmen who can reliably make big scores when set than the alternative, i.e. what England and Australia have had over the last decade. Even if the conditions aren't hard, having batsmen learn the art of constructing big innings is a big positive.
A good first class system does both. There are a few roads for batsmen to learn to go large on, there's turning tracks to learn spin on and there's fast, bouncy pitches too.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Yeah I think that shows up in conversion rate actually. Root's is a meme, but if you look further down the batting lineup there aren't many players with a conventionally good rate of conversion. Of course, simply having a similar number of tons to fifties doesn't necessarily mean your record is good (with the inverse also true) but players like Stokes, Bairstow and later-stage Cook have had pretty ordinary conversion rates as well which have never really been talked about. I wonder if its a team problem that is just most visible in our best batsmen

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why are Indian FC average still considered a joke? I got that back in the day they were bowling minnows but they have one of the best bowling attacks in the world now

Do they fall off a cliff after the 5-6 quality quicks hovering around the national set up?

cnerd123

likes this
Why are Indian FC average still considered a joke? I got that back in the day they were bowling minnows but they have one of the best bowling attacks in the world now

Do they fall off a cliff after the 5-6 quality quicks hovering around the national set up?
FC averages are considered a joke because conditions vary massively from region to region, to the point where they overly favour a certain style of cricketer.

For a while we had an epidemic of overly green, swing and seam friendly pitches in a few places, which saw the mediocre trundlers from those states end up with fantastic stats each season, that were not a fair reflection of their talent. Naturally any batsman who could score on those pitches was rated highly.

Similarly Jadeja's home state plays on pitches that are notoriously flat. But that then makes his bowling stats look fantastically good, which is fair. The guy is a gun bowler at domestic level if nothing else.

And then there are some dustbowls going around which leads to very one dimensional spinners ripping through sides.

Add to that the fact that we have so many teams, it's hard to gauge the quality of the competition sometimes. For instance, Pankaj Singh is now playing for Puducherry, and his games are still considered FC status like when he played for Rajasthan. But he is playing a much lower level of cricket, and this season has 31 wickets @ 7.
Cricket Records | Records | Ranji Trophy, 2018/19 - Puducherry | | Batting and bowling averages | ESPNcricinfo

So yea...Ranji FC stats are totally useless on face value. You really need to dig into them to understand the conditions/quality of opposition.