• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Doctor Shivnarine Chanderpaul

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, you heard it right!

Our tiger is a doctor (honorary).

My entire childhood. So many times seen him play at my local club ground. When he was playing for Guyana in President Cup, Busta Cup, Carib Beer Cup.

Also, there were instances when he played inter-county cricket (he was playing for Demerara against my home county team, Berbice).

Respect!

“We want to congratulate Shivnarine Chanderpaul on this significant honour by UWI. It is well deserved. He is an outstanding West Indian, a truly remarkable person who rose to become one of the finest cricketers in West Indies history. A student of the game, a wise head, a strong individual, a leader and fine example to the young people of this region,” Nero said.

“He has demonstrated by virtue of his commitment and performances that once you are prepared to work hard you will reap reward, respect and global acclaim.”
He has received several accolades with the most significant coming in 2008, when he batted for over 1,000 minutes without being dismissed and averaged close to 150 in the Test series against Australia. These awards include the Sir Garfield Sobers trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year, Wisden Cricketer of the Year, and WICB West Indies Player of the Year.
https://theworldnews.net/gy-news/chanderpaul-receives-honorary-doctorate

Days of Grace

International Captain
Not sure if I agree with honorary doctorates. While they are not the same as real doctorates, I still find myself asking, “What research has he done?” “Why should he have the same degree as someone who has spent years studying and writing about their chosen field?@

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not sure if I agree with honorary doctorates. While they are not the same as real doctorates, I still find myself asking, “What research has he done?” “Why should he have the same degree as someone who has spent years studying and writing about their chosen field?@
Yeah, but to all intents and purposes it isn't the same though.

Golden Horde

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm not in favor of honorary doctorates but would fully support giving one to this guy

Anyway Shiv isnt hurting anyone. Good on Dravid for sticking to his beliefs though, I would have accepted it in his place

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are people ignorant?

It's an honorary doctorate.

Why are people knighted?
No one studies for a decade to be a Sir, or a Dame.

I don't agree with it either. Doctorates should be valued a lot more than handing them out to people who have excelled in a field outside of academia. There's other ways these people can be celebrated.

Shiv is a great person by all accounts and was a wonderful cricketer who got the best out of himself. I'm just not for that leading to a doctorate. Each to their own.

Golden Horde

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Out of interest how many international cricketers have earned themselves an actual doctorate? I can think of Jahangir Khan but there must be more and Zafar Ansari is headed that way surely

WG, Ali Bacher and Rudie van Vuuren were doctors when they played international cricket. I wonder if there are more? Surely some female internationals, about whom I (shamefully) have very little knowledge

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, you heard it right!

Our tiger is a doctor (honorary).

My entire childhood. So many times seen him play at my local club ground. When he was playing for Guyana in President Cup, Busta Cup, Carib Beer Cup.

Also, there were instances when he played inter-county cricket (he was playing for Demerara against my home county team, Berbice).

Respect!

https://theworldnews.net/gy-news/chanderpaul-receives-honorary-doctorate
Somewhat unsurprisingly, he's dealt poorly with the mortarboard tail here