• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The evolution of LOIs in your lifetime

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How much have limited overs internationals changed during your lifetime? I've followed the growth of T20s very closely. Back in the late 00s, they weren't all that frequent and 140-150 was a very good score. That has obviously gone up significantly with T20 leagues shooting up left, right and centre. Anything below 180 will be chased in all likelihood. Batsmen go about very differently in how they pace their innings. Bowling is essentially just damage control now.

I remember Umar Gul was considered an excellent T20 bowler early on.

ODIs have changed a lot too. A fighting score has increased from 270 to 320+ now. Teams bat more aggressively in the middle overs now. Wicket preservation is a dead philosophy.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
A lot in ODIs still depend on the pitch imo. 270 can still be a winning score and most ODI pitches still have some variety. T20s on the other hand, there used to be a time when 150 was a good total but now it's considered a failure. T20 pitches have got flat and have stayed that way which I agree with. There's no place for a 120 - 140 t20 pitch if you ask me.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Target of 240 used to formidable back in the day. LOL.

And first 5 world cup finals were won by team batting first. 4 out of next 6 by team batting second!

Burgey

I can remember when ODIs first became a regular part of the Australian summer and 200 was considered a very good score, with 170 odd still often being competitive.

The first post-WSC summer, England refused to play with fielding restrictions, leading to Brearley placing every fielder including the keeper on the boundary to win a game. Of course, the Poms call that clever captaincy and merely playing by the rules to secure a win, yet a year later Chappell followed the rules in an ODI final and was roundly condemned for it.

That summer, the uniforms were white with a coloured stripe down the sleeves though England continued to play in all white, but by the next year with the Poms out of the way, the transition to coloured clothing was made in full.

At the start, the emphasis was still very much on building an innings, though tbf Tony Greig was banging on about accelerating from the get-go while the field was up from the beginning. First time I really saw it happen was Srikkanth in about 81 iirc. Then Jones came into the Australian side and his SR was comparatively high too.

Of course, Viv was around and he just ****ing bombed everything. Which everyone does now, but he stood out like dog’s balls at the time.

By the mid-80s, Waugh and O’Donnell has started bowling slower balls regularly which has become a standard tactic pretty much ever since.

England had Botham open out here in the 87 Perth Challenge, then SL changed pretty much for everyone with their approach in the mid 90s.

I admit I didn’t like too much tinkering with the restrictions and the flip-flopping between using one or two balls, but I guess it had to be done to give the fielding side a chance.

I’d say of the players I’ve seen play ODIs live, my XI would be

Sanath (5)
Tendulkar
Viv (7)
Kohli
ABdV
Dhoni
Symonds (6)
Wasim (3)
Warne (4)
Garner (2)
McGrath (1)

Gilchrist, Bevan and Ponting unlucky to miss.

And Ian Harvey of course

Been some wonderful players. I’ve been lucky to see them go around.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’d say of the players I’ve seen play ODIs live, my XI would be

Sanath (5)
Tendulkar
Viv (7)
Kohli
ABdV
Dhoni
Symonds (6)
Wasim (3)
Warne (4)
Garner (2)
McGrath (1)

Gilchrist, Bevan and Ponting unlucky to miss.

And Ian Harvey of course

Been some wonderful players. I’ve been lucky to see them go around.
I'd call you out for not including any English players, were it not for the fact you're right

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember the new ball actually swung when I first started watching, even though there was only one of them. Of course Kookaburra claim they haven't changed it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Meh re LOIs, or ODIs, as they were called earlier. I never really liked them. I remember that I quickly got bored of them as a kid. With all due respect, I just can't watch much of it without being extremely bored.

TheJediBrah

Target of 240 used to formidable back in the day. LOL.

And first 5 world cup finals were won by team batting first. 4 out of next 6 by team batting second!
tbf most of that was just dependent on whether Australia batted first or second

cnerd123

likes this
I remember playing gully cricket as a kid, and us taking our cues from ODI cricket on what a good score is. 6 runs per over used to be considered steep. I remember at one point we were playing a game, and my partner and I had to chase down 28 runs in 4 overs or something similar. First ball he knocks his own stumps over, and then says lets start a new game. His reasoning? 'No way we can chase down 7 RPO, it's too high'

That's how things changed in my lifetime

Burgey

And now you’re involved with HK cricket, which is of the same standard. Kudos.

TheJediBrah

I don't know what gully cricket is but that story really has me wtf'ing. Someone just giving up on a game to start a new one because they were losing? The other team was happy with that?