• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

do you walk?

Kimbo

International Debutant
If you knick a ball, do you walk???

personally i don't because you are likely to get given out when you aren't on other occasions so it all evens out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Usually no but only because I don't have time to think about it when I've been given out. :D I'm usually given out well before I think of it and I usually get out other ways anyway!

If the fielder says he caught it in a dubious catch situation, I tend to believe them and if I'm sure I'm out, I walk. Anyway, I'm a bowler so I'm not too precious about batting anyway. :D

A perfect example of what I'm talking about:

In a match for Uni, I walked out with my shiny new 3lbs 5oz bat (2oz heavier than Lance Klusener's). I decided it had been a bit boring so I figured the time was right to boost the scoring rate a little.

The first ball this leggie bowled full on legstump and I tried to flick it over square leg for a couple of runs or maybe a boundary and watched in stunned amazement as the ball rocketed off the middle of the bat and ended up in the river next to the ground.

Second ball, full on middle and leg and I swept at it without trying to belt it and it landed 20m over the boundary.

Resisting the compulsion to kiss my new bat, the third ball was full and slow outside off-stump and I went for it and drove it well over the fence at long-off.

Resisting again the urge to thank heaven above for this new God-like ability to hit 6's thanks to the new bat, the fourth ball was short outside off, spinning away. I literally just swung at it as hard as I could and it soared over cover for 6 more.

By now my team-mates were cheering me on and screaming "SIX! SIX! SIX! SIX! SIX!" so on the 5th ball, I went for the mightiest across-the-line swipe of all time,missed by at least a metre and was bowled middle-peg. Ever see your team-mates rolling around on the ground laughing as you trudge off the ground having been bowled middle-peg? :D

I told you I didn't get out caught behind much. :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread Suil. :D:D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i walk for caught behind but not for LBW cause the batsman can never be sure

this season i got a lot of bad decisions though, i got given caught behind of my pad, i got caught of no balls twics (ya reakon id learn) twice in desperate situations where we almost lost the game once and lost the game the other time

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
lol Neil , i havent been bowled this season , i put all my body to stop the ball going on the wicket , thats why i get L.B.W ! and pathetic decisions too !

masterblaster

International Captain
No i don't walk, only if i know in my heart ive knicked it, then i make sure if the umpire has heard it!

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ok - slightly new slant to the topic.....

Would you ever claim a catch when you knew you'd dropped it?? Especially if your team was in a difficult position...

I don't know if you guys have seen it, but in the 1996 World Series, Roger Harper claimed a C&B off Michael Beven - which he had clearly dropped... (b.t.w - you can pick up the video from heaps of libraries... brings back memories). It was when the West Indies really needed a wicket, and sometimes I think that he may well have appealed... because if Bevan had been given out, the WI probably would've won, but mostly I think he's a cheat :(! :(!

Watch the language, Please...

[Edited on 7/7/02 by Neil Pickup]

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh - and in case you were wondering, Micheal Bevan stood his ground (actually he stood there pointing and shaking his head) and was eventually given 'not out' in that match.... which he eventually steered Australia to winning after hitting a 4 off the last ball of the match...

...good on him, I say.

Kimbo

International Debutant
no i wouldn't claim a catch.

anyone remember arjuna ranatunga vs black caps in nz a few years back. he dropped a catch picked it up off the ground and stood up claiming it- the 3rd ump was luckily called in.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would never claim a catch that I knew I had dropped. Sunil - Ranatunga is probably the most unsporting player I can think of in recent years, with the exception of the Match Fixers.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I don't think I would claim a catch... but it could be tempting if everyone actually thought you took it and went up. But if I thought there was one person that saw me drop it, even a bystander then I would be honest. I don't want to be hated and known as a cheat.