• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2018/19

jcas0167

International Debutant
Down to just a 2 horse race now, with 1 round to play. Auckland eliminated.

IMO. Canterbury have the second weakest squad on paper. So well done to them to still be one of the 2 teams in contention.

https://www.nzc.nz/match-reports/plunket-shield-round-seven-in-rangiora
Yes, they seem to be well lead by Cole McConchie who seems quite a thinking player and has improved his batting considerably.

"[Captaincy] is something I really enjoy and it keeps your mind going out in the game, but also I'm quite a vivid thinker of cricket," McConchie said.

A self-confessed cricket nuffie, McConchie was a regular spectator at Canterbury matches at their former Village Green ground at QEII Park as a youngster at Riccarton High.

Captaining his association for the first time would be extra meaningful given how hard he's had to work to lock down a regular place in Canterbury's four-day side.

McConchie has played just 13 first class matches since debuting in November 2012 and played seven of those last season (2016/17) where he enjoyed a breakout summer...

​After starting his career as an offspin bowler, McConchie concentrated heavily on his batting last winter. He transformed himself as a middle order batsman, who could chip in with the ball, and flourished in the role.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/98041771/captaining-canterbury-a-real-dream-for-cole-mcconchie

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Cole McConchie and Cam Fletcher have contributed heavily for Canterbury this season. Canterbury bowling is not all that flash and batting there and there abouts. Despite that they have gone all right particularly when the top international players haven't been part of the squad. Steve Murdoch's move to Canterbury has helped in the second half as well. Canterbury generally relies on home grown talent and rarely ever signs up a player from outside of the province.

Just for the good of NZ Cricket I suppose it would be good to see Ben Sears from Wellington move to Canterbury, Josh Finnie and Finn Allen to Wellington and Ravindra to Otago or Canterbury. That will do wonders for local cricket and balance the comp out as well as give these lads good opportunities across all formats.

The Hutt Rec

Woodcock has announced his retirement after the final Plunket Shield game.

Guess the test team opening call up we all hoped for two or three seasons ago will never happen, dammit.

nzfan

Woodcock has announced his retirement after the final Plunket Shield game.

Guess the test team opening call up we all hoped for two or three seasons ago will never happen, dammit.
Woodcock brought to Wellington Cricket more than just runs and wickets. He's a very popular player and the one that the experienced as well as the young ones liked. One of those rare cricketers that was very selfless from what I know. As much as I wanted to see young ones given a go, it was never at Woodcock's expense. Now it's a very hard task for Wellington to find another opener.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Woodcock brought to Wellington Cricket more than just runs and wickets. He's a very popular player and the one that the experienced as well as the young ones liked. One is those rare cricketers that was very selfless from what I know. As much as I wanted to see young ones given a go, it was never at Woodcock's expense. Now it's a very hard task for Wellington to find another opener.
Ravindra and Fletcher must be the obvious duo?

Immenso

That's a shame, what a solid cricketer he has been for Wellington.

I see he's about to turn 37 in a few days, that's a respectable time to call it quits.
A 17 year span FC career with Wellington.

nzfan

Ravindra and Fletcher must be the obvious duo?
Jacob Bhula and Raki Weerasundara in the mix for next year as well. That is if Ravindra goes on to play Black Caps and Fletcher is more suited in the middle order in the long format.

Immenso

There's not usually 12 good Plunket Shield standard openers around at the same in NZ to go around.

For a domestic team to lose one will always leave a huge hole. Although Woodcock has just had an average season this year.

The Hutt Rec

That's a shame, what a solid cricketer he has been for Wellington.

I see he's about to turn 37 in a few days, that's a respectable time to call it quits.
A 17 year span FC career with Wellington.
Was amazing to see the Firebirds post a pic of him on instagram saluting a plunket shield hundred or 50 ... with hair!!!

Chewie

ND have managed to turn their game vs CD around, I figured that it would taper out to a draw given the score ND racked up but they are running through CD pretty quickly at the moment

Immenso

Season ending stats.

Sodhi over took Bennett as top wicket take on the final day. Obviously Bennett's final game was cancelled after the tragedy in Christchurch.
Plunket Shield, 2018/19 Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Phillips had a very good end to the season. Getting the 3 consecutive List A ducks in the NZA series v Pakistan was at a very inopportune time for him considering Munro's subsequent dropping from the ODI team.

Batting, Most Runs:
Plunket Shield, 2018/19 Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Immenso

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Up & coming leg-spinner in the Under 19 squad:

"He [Ashok] is an exciting prospect. He spins it both ways and he's a little guy, only 16 and if he was to make this [under-19] World Cup he'll end up playing two. He's got a great work ethic and can hold a bat. He'll end up a genuine allrounder," said former test spinner Paul Wiseman, programme lead for the under-19s.

Seven of this 15-strong squad to play four 50-over matches against Australia Under-19 in Brisbane give the ball a tweak: two legspinners, one offspinner and four left-arm orthodox.

Under-19 squad.

Two of those left-armers are sons of former Black Caps. Tim Pringle, the other 16-year-old, calls Chris Pringle dad, and Ollie White's father is NZC chief executive David White.

Pringle is tall, wears glasses and, Wiseman said, will draw inevitable comparisons with bespectacled left-armers Daniel Vettori and Mitchell Santner.

Wiseman said spin bowling allrounders were becoming more common, with players raised as medium pacers increasingly making the switch...

New Zealand Under-19 squad: Adithya Ashok (Auckland), William Clark (Central Districts), Kristian Clarke (Northern Districts), Lucas Dasent (Auckland), Hayden Dickson (ND), Joey Field (CD), Jesse Frew (Canterbury), Ruben Love (CD), Jock McKenzie (Auckland), Rhys Mariu (Canterbury), Tim Pringle (ND), Ben Pomare (ND), Jesse Tashkoff (Wellington), Dylan Taylor (Auckland), Ollie White (ND).
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...new-zealand-cricket-will-unleash-on-australia