• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2018/19

Blain

U19 Captain
And keeps talking about inswing for Santner, when we already know the bloke can bowl a karam ball, and the balls clearly moving away from the left hander after pitching.

Don't think Cantab wil have the fire power for this total, even though they are going OK ATM.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I expect the bring back Corey Anderson bandwagon will start after this match. We certainly have a lot of white ball allrounders atm - I see Devcich is playing in the Big Bash

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Craig Cumming thought if you were hit on the full you had to draw a direct line to the stumps on LBW appeals. That means every appeal would be out dummy. Christ and this guy played the game for twenty years.
I remember Warne getting completely flummoxed by the same rule in his Nine days ... it seems to be a source of total confusion for commentators.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig Cumming thought if you were hit on the full you had to draw a direct line to the stumps on LBW appeals. That means every appeal would be out dummy. Christ and this guy played the game for twenty years.
I remember Warne getting completely flummoxed by the same rule in his Nine days ... it seems to be a source of total confusion for commentators.
I might be mistaken, but what I think they're trying to say is that if the ball hits you on the full in line with the stumps, it's out because you don't take spin into account. If a legspinner hit a batsman's pad in line with off stump, the decision could be different depending on whether or not it pitched beforehand.

Howsie

International Captain
I might be mistaken, but what I think they're trying to say is that if the ball hits you on the full in line with the stumps, it's out because you don't take spin into account. If a legspinner hit a batsman's pad in line with off stump, the decision could be different depending on whether or not it pitched beforehand.
Nah, it wasn't that. The ball was clearly sliding down leg, the female commentator mentioned that and then he went on a spiel about how you have to draw a line directly back to the stumps if you're hit on the full. Very strange.

nzfan

Decent game last night but t20s are just margins. Leo Carter's hit to long on if he had wee bit extra would have sailed over and sealed the game. Tom Latham was out to a not so great ball, short and wide. Still Cantabs were making good ground but just couldn't finish it. Good for firebirds otherwise with Canterbury also among points will have been quite a race for the 3rd place.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I expect the bring back Corey Anderson bandwagon will start after this match. We certainly have a lot of white ball allrounders atm - I see Devcich is playing in the Big Bash
Devcich got a big up on Cricinfo the other day. I certainly hope there's no plan to bring him back in any format.

Anderson is bowling again and bowling well but he needs to do something with the bat too to get ahead. He's not going to displace pure bowlers and Neesham is batting better than he is atm.

The Hutt Rec

I only just clicked Ben Sears is Michael Sears’ son ... pretty cool he’s following in Dad’s footsteps for Wellington.

Blain

U19 Captain
Devcich got a big up on Cricinfo the other day. I certainly hope there's no plan to bring him back in any format.

Anderson is bowling again and bowling well but he needs to do something with the bat too to get ahead. He's not going to displace pure bowlers and Neesham is batting better than he is atm.
If Anderson is getting through overs and builds some game time, I'd take him over CDG no question.

nzfan

Wellington floundering again today, 77/4 after 11. Hira and Munro the bowling destroyers.
The batting is quite weak. Bowling is very good but we need to put on board 170 to be able to win games. Bracewell is certainly giving us good starts. Conway has been reasonable and playing second ploy to Bracewell. Once these two guys are gone there is no momentum in the inning. On top of that we also lose wickets in bunch. I think this campaign is as good as over. Glad to see Troy Johnson been given a chance though.

The Hutt Rec

The batting is quite weak. Bowling is very good but we need to put on board 170 to be able to win games. Bracewell is certainly giving us good starts. Conway has been reasonable and playing second ploy to Bracewell. Once these two guys are gone there is no momentum in the inning. On top of that we also lose wickets in bunch. I think this campaign is as good as over. Glad to see Troy Johnson been given a chance though.
I think 150 (which we were on track for with a few overs left) would have won yesterday. The pitch seemed to hold up a bit throughout, a lot of players out chipping straight to fielders.

Felt for van Beek, two catches put down off his bowling (one an absolute sitter on the fence by Johnson, the other probably should have been taken by Neesham), but van Beek took one of the best one handed diving reflex catches I've ever seen live off Sears.

Sears really looks the goods ... looked dangerous throughout and broke the bail (which flew 3/4 of the way to the boundary) when bowling Cachopa ... he should play every game for the rest of the tournament for sure.

No idea what to do about the batting, Bracewell, Conway and Hose are the only three contributing.

Last edited:

nzfan

I think 150 (which we were on track for with a few overs left) would have won yesterday. The pitch seemed to hold up a bit throughout, a lot of players out chipping straight to fielders.

Felt for van Beek, two catches put down off his bowling (one an absolute sitter on the fence by Johnson, the other probably should have been taken by Neesham), but van Beek took one of the best one handed diving reflex catches I've ever seen live off Sears.

Sears really looks the goods ... looked dangerous throughout and broke the bail (which flew 3/4 of the way to the boundary) when bowling Cachopa ... he should play every game for the rest of the tournament for sure.

No idea what to do about the batting, Bracewell, Conway and Hose are the only three contributing.
Ben Sears is the real deal. Lucky he bowled well in the first couple of games he got otherwise knowing firebirds management they wouldn't have played him. He's quick all right and accurate which is great.

Look at the players firebirds have tried, Nofal, Pollard, Hose, Troy etc... Hose is all right but anyone in team would have been able to do what he can. There's nothing outstanding he's bringing to the team.

Conway had been reasonably good but nothing out of the ordinary but at least he's scoring at better than run a ball.

Nofal, Pollard, Woodcock, Younghusband and Johnson shouldn't have played ahead of Ravindra. Just checked the club scores today and Ravindra has 71 against his name. This is backing up from 130+ from last week. This guy is the most consistent we have had in years. He's in great form but the firebirds management is as dumb as they come. He has all the shots meaning he doesn't have to slog to score. Moreover he's equally good with the ball, will bring variety. He's a NZ A player for heavens sake. He's not a nobody from some low level club team.

I'd be tempted to give Ravindra and Lauchie Johns a go. Knowing this is Wellington pretty sure they'll pull up some journeymen from club or some import for the rest of the games.

Everyone in town says Ravindra is the most down to earth Bboke as well. Most folks I speak to are perplexed at his omission.

Are they worried he'll push some oldies and wannabes out of the team?

Firebirds never learn, one step forward and 10 steps back.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wish they had speed ball radar for the super smash. Tickner seemed to beat Nicholls for pace there with the shoet ball.

nzfan

That was a mayhem last night's game over 400 runs scored. Seems like the ball came on to the bat nicely. George Worker can't buy a run atm. Great to see Latham smash a hundred, just at the right time with the one day games vs India round the corner. He will go with good confidence. Gee Tom Bruce is in amazing touch at the moment. He may get another call up for t20s.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Yeah. I am sure I have said it here before, but Mike Sears was my club captain back in my playing days and is a truly awesome bloke. He is a cop now, and pops up on the news every now and then as a Police spokesman when a crime has been committed in Wellington.