• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2018/19

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Sucks how this rapid-fire portion of the Ford Trophy down in Christchurch doesn't look like it'll have wickets and boundaries video, at least not at the Lincoln No. 3 games.

Michael Pollard back in Wellington colours I see. Nofal retained, but sensibly removed from seeing any of the new ball.
Video is working for the Firebirds CD game at least ... some stunning footage of Pollard’s dismissal.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Good gas in the yorker this morning from Barnes.

Never quite bought the 'rapid RF' tag he used to get before he appeared for Otago, but maybe the body is now finally getting back near there.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Might head down and watch the last 10 overs of the Canterbury game, working a few hundred meters away has its benefits at times! Hope they launch from this platform. Beautiful day in Chch to have all the matches here as well

The Hutt Rec

unless I'm missing something, do you just mean the 'wicket' video, the entirety of which is him marking the crease with his foot?
Yep ... looks like they’ve given up after that fail.

Andrew Fletcher might be the ODI opening answer at this rate ... hundred number three from seven list a games!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, is he available for selection?

EDIT: Just noticed he's a Watling-type Saffer, rather than a Wagner-type.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
yeah, is he available for selection?

EDIT: Just noticed [Fletcher is] a Watling-type Saffer, rather than a Wagner-type.
What about Conway? Another 2 years until eligible? From stats and limited highlights he looks like the Taylor replacement.

nzfan

Another 100 for Fletcher, how good? Honestly I have watched him for years locally and never thought he's going to be scoring much runs. Honestly after couple of first class games, the first 2 one day games he played I thought he's just lucky to get to 30 but now I'm convinced he has something about him. It's not easy to score 3 hundreds and a 50 (or 2 is it?) in as many as 6 games. I'm not gunning him for international honors yet but they should trial him at NZ A against India and see how he goes. Chances are he won't be pulled up for India A. Bharat Popli was in similar form 2-3 years ago and was the domestic player of the year. Since then it's been a massive downfall. Hope Fletcher just goes upwards. He's doing great now. Fact is if Ravindra was not away for NZ A, Fletcher wouldn't have got a game :-)

The Hutt Rec

Fact is if Ravindra was not away for NZ A, Fletcher wouldn't have got a game :-)
That’s the incredible bit, I think! From being dissed on here as an uncontracted club player ( :p ) a few weeks ago he’s certainly taken his chance.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The Leopard-as-an-opener experiment not really working out for CD. That was pure slip-catching practice.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Another 100 for Fletcher, how good? Honestly I have watched him for years locally and never thought he's going to be scoring much runs. Honestly after couple of first class games, the first 2 one day games he played I thought he's just lucky to get to 30 but now I'm convinced he has something about him. It's not easy to score 3 hundreds and a 50 (or 2 is it?) in as many as 6 games. I'm not gunning him for international honors yet but they should trial him at NZ A against India and see how he goes. Chances are he won't be pulled up for India A. Bharat Popli was in similar form 2-3 years ago and was the domestic player of the year. Since then it's been a massive downfall. Hope Fletcher just goes upwards. He's doing great now. Fact is if Ravindra was not away for NZ A, Fletcher wouldn't have got a game :-)
Yeah I think of that every so often - amazing being in a purple patch where you can do no wrong. Today by contrast he slapped a short gimme from the spinner straight to cow corner. Fletcher certainly going through a similar purple patch atm - could spend the rest of his career wishing this kind of form would come back.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also worth remembering that with so many players away on international and A duties, the standard of domestic cricket is significantly lower at the moment. Still, always great to see a Wellington local being picked and actually doing well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Being able to score runs with the sort of attacks presented in domestic cricket at present is about having a semi-decent technique and a good mental game. Fletcher clearly is a mentally-strong guy, whose been able to back up tons and make more of them. The harder stuff comes later when the technique is more omni-present across all sides and the weaknesses get picked across - ie Popli and the short ball.

Well done to him, as I say it takes a lot of mental fortitude to score 3 tonnes in this short period of time. There's more talented guys than him who haven't scored 3 in their career.

vandem

International 12th Man
Who would have put money on Joe Carter being ND's middle order match-winner? List A career at start of this season 271 runs @ 18, SR 60. I have seen him play a couple of times, looked like a tidy opener with a reasonable pull shot.

This season 226 runs for once out, SR 107.

nzfan

Firebirds on a roll, good amount of credit should go to the coaching staff. I have always had gripe against them as they had stalled lot of local talents by recruiting from Aussie frequently. I have to eat my words now which I'm happy to. They have done a marvelous job, brought the right talent (some of them were near discards), built a very good culture, added couple of overseas (although they had to sign a pact) players, picked few local players and voila they have a winning unit. Also picked the right captains too. Moved over players that probably have it in them still but may have not fit in the culture. We now have very good batting line up (is it too much to say it's the best in the country), terrific fast bowling unit (no debate about this, we are the best fast bowling unit in plunkett and ford) and not so bad spinning options (perhaps with Ravindra in the squad spin bowling will be strengthened too). Kudos to the management and coaching staff. Didn't expect I'd be saying this in the near future.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Rippon opens the batting quite often, doesn't he Cribb. They've brought in Lockrose for Rutherford, so I'll wait until any Rippon makeshift gig is confirmed, maybe execute a crafty 'bet max, cash out' trick. I could let some of the wager ride out, too. Scoring runs in the last month.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't realise there was another round today - they're squeezing it a lot of cricket, it's good.

Is Rutherford injured? Edit: I see Worker is injured and now Rutherford is in the NZ A squad.

Last edited:

nzfan

There's so much cricket going on it's tough to catch up. The ford trophy round 8 resumes, NZ A take on India A today and White Ferns playing Pakistan in the world cup today followed late in the evening by the much awaited test match. Now it truly feels like summer, mighty excited. That said the weather seems to play spoilsport in and around Sunday.