• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 'The Big One 2' - Zimbabwe Tour of South Africa 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You guys don't rate Markram in ODIs?
Because he's completely sucked at them so far, more or less.

I don't rate him higher than Amla or de Kock - a high bar - and I'm sceptical of the idea of any of them batting lower down. I'm pretty confident he'll have a strong ODI career but he doesn't fit yet.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, you gotta judge a player on their performances. That's only fair. I have a feeling he'll come good. May very well captain RSA one day as well.

Bahseph

State Captain
Imo Duminy is one of the four batsman guaranteed a spot at the WC along with Amla, Faf and QDK. The rest of the top seven is honestly a mystery to me at this point in time.

I don't think any of the options are as explosive as Miller, but I've never been sold on him 100%. Does a job though. One of Markram, Reeza or Klaasen could bat 3/4 but I wouldn't want any of them other than Klaasen at 6.

I've watched a fair bit of Mulder domestically and he is definitely more of a batsman than any other allrounder we have. Definitely shouldn't be at 7 because because it isn't his game. But do we take the leap of faith and bat him at 6 with Miller at 7?

Phehlukwayo is also interesting to me because there is no way he should keep Dale out on bowling, but he has a knack for being useful with bat and ball. And I'd be a little worried about going in with Rabada at 8 in a WC.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Geez you have some bowling talent when Dale ****ing Steyn isn't guaranteed.
Steyn isn't as good in ODIs as he is in tests. His ODI record isn't shabby by any means, but you'd never describe him as an ODI ATG - in fact there's very little difference between him and Morkel in ODIs. So it does raise the question of whether you go with someone who might not be quite as good a bowler, but is a better batsman.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd probably have Duminy in italics as well. He's got the jump on the rest with his experience and sixth bowling option but if he had a rough patch I could see them leaving him out of the eleven (he will definitely be in the squad).
He's been in red hot form since test retirement though. He could do a Yuvraj Singh 2011 who knows..

SeamUp

International Coach
KG out Dale in
Mulder out (injury) Zondo in

Dale's first ODI since Oct 2016

Elgar has never really opened in limited overs cricket but to be honest I wouldn't have called him up. Limited overs game has moved on from his type of player.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It still nice as a SA supporter to be able seem them rest Rabada and replace him with Steyn.....

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Elgar and Hendricks really not doing their bid for a World Cup place any favours.
Hendricks still has his shot... been good form. Elgar unfortunately is a stop gap for the guys being rested, he had an outside chance at best.

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar and Hendricks really not doing their bid for a World Cup place any favours.
2 opportunities on the 2 grounds you grew up playing your most cricket & fail twice isn't great is it. :D

These two need tonning up here. It is where the likes of Ingram in recent years took their chance. Think he scored a 100 on debut v Zimbos in Bloem.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hendricks still has his shot... been good form. Elgar unfortunately is a stop gap for the guys being rested, he had an outside chance at best.
Trying to work out Reeza the player.

Not a big hitter and can also struggle with accumulation. He is a boundary hitter that uses exquisite timing in the air or on the ground. If he gets a few away early on and he has momentum he can get away from you. But he has weaknesses defensively. It is probably the reason why he seems an all or nothing player in limited overs cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
What position and type of middle order player is Zondo competing with ? I would probably say the most similar is JP Duminy in the current options.

SeamUp

International Coach
It looks like another testing wicket. Not exactly ideal.

PS Mulder out of the series

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This ZIM team is starting to look semi decent once more. Of course the injured Cremer and Raza would be great inclusions. I like the Chatara+Jarvis new ball pairing, not quite Streak+Brain levels.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This ZIM team is starting to look semi decent once more. Of course the injured Cremer and Raza would be great inclusions. I like the Chatara+Jarvis new ball pairing, not quite Streak+Brain levels.
Jarvis' ODI records are terrible after playing many matches tbh. O yes, and Raza replacing Moor will improve this side's batting dramatically.

SeamUp

International Coach
I hope this batting is down to the individuals and not the new ultra positive mantra that I am not liking.

Jonker has played like a proper clubbie this series.