• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest last balls in international cricket

Whilst checking out the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 the thing that struck me was Joginder Sharma bowled the final over (and took the final wicket c Sreesanth b Joginder Sharma). He had 13 to defend off the final over. After the six off the second legal ball Pakistan needed 6 off 4 balls. He dismissed Misbah on the third legal delivery of the over. He took 2-20 off 3.3 in the final yet he never played again for India in any format despite this being the best ever international performance for him from a personal standpoint. He has a great domestic record in List A and T20 stuff. He was a young bowler at the time. I feel it's harsh on him that he never played another game. His last delivery in international cricket won the world cup which is a great thing to be able to say. Let's talk about other great final deliveries to cap an international career. I'm sure people remember some I don't know of. In this case the great climax happened in a short career, but a great finale to it nonetheless (winning the world cup).

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
I know it was only his last test - he played International LO's for a little while after - but Muralitharan taking his 800th wicket with the final ball of his test career was a pretty good way to bow out

srbhkshk

International Captain
He took 2-20 off 3.3 in the final yet he never played again for India in any format despite this being the best ever international performance for him from a personal standpoint. He has a great domestic record in List A and T20 stuff. He was a young bowler at the time. I feel it's harsh on him that he never played another game. His last delivery in international cricket won the world cup which is a great thing to be able to say.
Nah, he was crap. Only played because he was the only guy in the circuit who could remotely be called a pace all-rounder.

Bolo

State Captain
It's also not a last ball in cricket, or even international cricket at all, but Jonty Rhodes scoring 10 or 11 in list A off the last ball with 7 required was pretty impressive.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sir Richard Hadlee took a wicket with the final ball of his Test career. as a Sir and just after his 39th birthday. It was Devon Malcolm...but still, I reckon that's about as epic as it comes.

Victor Ian

International Coach
From somewhere

McGrath ended career with last ball wickets in all 3 formats
Former Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath dismissed England's James Anderson to pick up his last and 563rd Test wicket off his Test career's last ball on January 5, 2007. McGrath also picked up a wicket each off his last ball of ODI (April 2007) and T20I (June 2005) career, becoming the only bowler in cricket history to achieve the feat.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Not an international match, but I have a feeling John Willes bowled the most memorable last ever ball.

"On 15 July 1822, in the MCC v Kent match at Lord's, Willes opened the bowling for Kent and was promptly no-balled for using his roundarm action. He had been trying at various times to introduce the style since 1807. Being no-balled on this occasion was the final straw, for Willes reportedly threw the ball away and withdrew from the match, literally going straight to his horse and riding away. He refused to play again in any important fixture." - Wiki.

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran Khan of course, taking the England's last wicket in the 1992 world cup final to seal victory