• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm in two minds here. On one hand I wanted England to get smashed because their fans have been taking joy in Aus's tribulations over the past eight months, but on the other hand I really wanted SL to lose because of their blatant pitches-to-order and generally ****ty treatment of touring teams. Well done to England, and especially to Leach who's finally gotten his much deserved chance.

(OTOH Leach taking wickets now probably reduces Somerset's championship hopes considerably)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, one of the biggest overseas wins of recent times and they had to play some great cricket to get there as well. Root, Curran and Foakes were the stars but there's been some great moments like the catches from Stokes and Jennings, Leach running through the top order and Anderson only taking one wicket in the series.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Only one wicket fell to the proper bowlers all match, and it was Jennings edging behind naturally.
First time Lakmal has been referred to as the proper bowler in his team.

Can't say Anderson didn't contribute though. 101 runs from the 10th wicket stands for England, winning margin of 57.

Last edited:

Gomez656

U19 Cricketer
Akila Dhananjaya out of 3rd test as he has to report in Brisbane within 15 days to report (test) his bowling action

I hope he can able to bowl in future test series starting on Dec 26th away from Srilanka

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Wonder if England will look to replace both the seamers for the last game. Curran has an injury, and Anderson to be rested. Imo makes sense on a long term planning solution to look at someone like Stone when you've won the series, given the lack of threat Curran and Anderson have posed. Whose going to tell Broad though that Anderson and Curran aren't playing but we are playing woakes and stone instead?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Changing the seamers and still leaving Broad out is madness. Fair enough if you insist on all the spinners but jesus, the talk of him as just another change seamer when he's won us dozens of tests is just insulting.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
They've won the series, Broad has a poor record in Asia (especially in recent times), Broad will probably be retired the next time they play in Asia.

They've won the series on the back of new players coming in and performing. Cook's gone, No Bairstow, No Broad, Little impact from Anderson. They should be considerate of that when picking the side and with Anderson/Broad coming to the end this looks a decent time to look at the longer term development of the side. If Stone is someone they see having an impact in the future for England in test cricket they should play him (in front of Broad) in what is effectively a dead rubber.

I'm certainly no fan of Woakes in away conditions but when Anderson comes to retire I rather think he's likely to be opening the bowling on these tours to Asia so he probably needs more experience. Also part of England's success this series has been the ability to bat deep.

If they played Broad I certainly wouldn't have a massive problem with it. On the opposite side of my argument is that they'll want to keep the momentum going and pick the best side to continue to keep winning. I'd say to that the seamers they've played so far have had little impact when bowling, so changing them is unlikely to have any real negative impact. Only thing they'll really miss is Curran's batting.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
They've won the series, Broad has a poor record in Asia (especially in recent times), Broad will probably be retired the next time they play in Asia.

They've won the series on the back of new players coming in and performing. Cook's gone, No Bairstow, No Broad, Little impact from Anderson. They should be considerate of that when picking the side and with Anderson/Broad coming to the end this looks a decent time to look at the longer term development of the side. If Stone is someone they see having an impact in the future for England in test cricket they should play him (in front of Broad) in what is effectively a dead rubber. .
Don't care, at all. Tests matter.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Changing the seamers and still leaving Broad out is madness. Fair enough if you insist on all the spinners but jesus, the talk of him as just another change seamer when he's won us dozens of tests is just insulting.
Don't care, at all. Tests matter.
Who cares how many wickets he's got or matches he's won in the past. He was dire in Australia and it was an insult that he kept getting the new ball ahead of Woakes. Past performances do not necessarily predict the future, while current form may be a good indicator.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka is useless against spin.

This is a massive victory for England.

This is a new low to a side that whitewashed Australia 3-0 in 2016, Pakistan 2-0 in 2017 (UAE) and South Africa 2-0 in 2018.

Series loss before going for the 3rd and the Final test.

Pathetic batting is a vivid reflection of our cricket at grass roots.

2 day Emerging bashing.
3 day competitions.

How can you expect these guys to build innings for Test cricket....