• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

Tom Flint

International Regular
My team for the 1st test

Burns
Denly
Ali
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Woakes
Rashid
Leach
Anderson

Woakes in more for his batting than bowling and Bairstow to keep in fit

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Sounds like Bairstow has little chance of playing the first test.

Hope they don't hedge their bets too much with team selection. If Woakes is the 2nd best seamer in the conditions then play him, if not (which is likely the case), then play the best bowler. His batting record outside England isn't good enough to get him selected.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It's amazing how hales has found himself carrying the drinks had been top drawer in one dayers the last few years for eng and Notts but the Ben stokes incident gave Barstow his chance. Someone has to miss out and for me right now it is either him stokes or Roy. Stokes gives the team a lift they play better when he's in the field imo and Roy is the one in the team and doing so so until he or jb have a few bad games hales will miss out

Play stone through the winter and see how he does if he doesn't live up to the hype then go back to plunkett
Honestly when you look at it, it's a pretty scary 15 they've got:

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Stokes
Ali
Woakes
Willey
Rashid
Stone
Plunkett
Curran
Curran
Hales

+ Billings, I suppose

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
This England attack looks rather toothless. Are England really going to go into the first test with 4 quicks? If not, why bother giving the likes of Broad and Woakes a bowl? Their spinners are utter trash and need all of the overs under their belt that they can.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Honestly when you look at it, it's a pretty scary 15 they've got:

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Stokes
Ali
Woakes
Willey
Rashid
Stone
Plunkett
Curran
Curran
Hales

+ Billings, I suppose
Four of the bowlers will break down with injury/stupidity before the WC though

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stokes, Foakes and Woakes has finally happened.

I hope I only live to see it in a test match.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This England attack looks rather toothless. Are England really going to go into the first test with 4 quicks? If not, why bother giving the likes of Broad and Woakes a bowl? Their spinners are utter trash and need all of the overs under their belt that they can.
cricinfo seem to think that they are considering not playing Broad in order to accommodate the 3rd spinner.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Guessing there's not too much in the surface for this practice game, Roshen Silva definitely missed a chance to hang onto his spot, everyone else in test contention at least got a start

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/30/jonny-england-test-cricket-the-spin?CMP=share_btn_tw
I think this is quite good on Bairstow saying some of the stuff i've talked about in the past.

Been forced to bat higher - a bit because of his success with the bat, and a bit due to the inadequacies of the other people they've had batting in the top order.

He has made himself into a very good wicketkeeper batsman - good counterattacking number 6 or 7 bat, and a decent keeper these days. Ideally he'd have just stayed batting at 6 or 7 in the side.

I do think this summer especially he went out to bat almost in a reckless counterattacking style because he was annoyed at batting higher, the suggestion he should give up the gloves etc - almost to show that he is better served batting lower and keeping. He doesn't want to give up the gloves - he likes the role of keeping and batting 7 - and he's put a lot of effort into his keeping, and he knows he's worth his place in the team as a wkbat, whereas as a batsman he's not sure he's good enough.

As the article says 'There has probably been fault on both sides. Bairstow has, through accident rather than design, been made to feel undervalued. It’s a complicated case in which it’s not easy to apportion criticism, never mind blame.'

Ali has suffered too as a result of the lack of batting options at the top of the order.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/30/jonny-england-test-cricket-the-spin?CMP=share_btn_tw
I think this is quite good on Bairstow saying some of the stuff i've talked about in the past.

Been forced to bat higher - a bit because of his success with the bat, and a bit due to the inadequacies of the other people they've had batting in the top order.

He has made himself into a very good wicketkeeper batsman - good counterattacking number 6 or 7 bat, and a decent keeper these days. Ideally he'd have just stayed batting at 6 or 7 in the side.

I do think this summer especially he went out to bat almost in a reckless counterattacking style because he was annoyed at batting higher, the suggestion he should give up the gloves etc - almost to show that he is better served batting lower and keeping. He doesn't want to give up the gloves - he likes the role of keeping and batting 7 - and he's put a lot of effort into his keeping, and he knows he's worth his place in the team as a wkbat, whereas as a batsman he's not sure he's good enough.

As the article says 'There has probably been fault on both sides. Bairstow has, through accident rather than design, been made to feel undervalued. It’s a complicated case in which it’s not easy to apportion criticism, never mind blame.'

Ali has suffered too as a result of the lack of batting options at the top of the order.
Imo Bairstow is a good player if the pitch is flat and there is no movement, pace or spin. However, if any of those are around he looks like a complete novice. Don't think he's much of a smart cricketer either, strikes me as naive.