• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Shanaka bowls and bats an average of 12 balls per game, what's the point of the bloke honestly.
English type seamer and a lower order hitter. Unfortunately not given the ball and asked to bat high up in the order even in front of Dhanajaya de Silva. Would be quite useful in England, but for that he needs match practice.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I don't think many people are getting over excited about the pace. More the control and how well he actually bowled.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Thanks for the replies everyone. Such shortsighted thinking and quite frankly greediness from the SLCB and 'partners' Outrageous but I will not be deterred. If I can't get into the ground at Galle for a reasonable price I'll join the thousands on the ramparts. Pallekelle and Colombo could be tougher to watch tho as I'm too old to climb a tree. F*ck it, sure it'll be a good month or so whatever....apart from watching our top 3 (from naturally elevated areas).
Cheers all... Any more info greatly received
Not sure about Pallekelle mate, but in Colombo, there is a ticket desk at SSC grounds ( 35 maitland place in Colombo )- again not sure if they are issuing tickets for this series but I know we bought tickets for the SL v SA T20 there in August..might be worth a try..

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Thanks for the replies everyone. Such shortsighted thinking and quite frankly greediness from the SLCB and 'partners' Outrageous but I will not be deterred. If I can't get into the ground at Galle for a reasonable price I'll join the thousands on the ramparts. Pallekelle and Colombo could be tougher to watch tho as I'm too old to climb a tree. F*ck it, sure it'll be a good month or so whatever....apart from watching our top 3 (from naturally elevated areas).
Cheers all... Any more info greatly received
200 Rs tickets are there. Grass seating for test matches. The same price is true for the locals too. For proper seating only there's this price discrepancy. So rather than going from tree to tree the 200rupee ticket should be the way to go.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
the reports say that the weather forecast isn't great again today so lets see what happens..Gutted that KP is injured for us- typical ! I am a fan of sadeera and whilst I know he is still a young kid, for me, our team should have youngsters like him, Kusal M, Dhanajaya, Akila, Kumara, Chameera , Dickwella and Aponso in it to build a team for the future. We are losing anyway so lets use these losses to get these younger guys some experience and they will come good.
For me, this has to be the last chance for Tharanga as he isn't scoring runs anymore - having said that he does have a good record at Pallekelle..lets see.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Really the ODI team needs to try and salvage something for the WC, if we put in a really dreadful showing and fail to improve quickly afterwards we face an uphill battle just to qualify for the next one, there are a couple of associates who are fielding better ODI teams than us currently.

Tharanga's experience in England would be really handy should he actually hit some form

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At this time of the year SL should start their ODIs in the morning just to give the chance of getting an acceptable length game in.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
21 over game (that is if it doesn't get rained off later anyway). Good to see England not changing the team based on the fact that it is virtually a T20. Think I'd maybe change the lineup so that Butler is 4 and Morgan 5/6, but other than that, keep it the same. Root needs more T20 practice anyway so this should do him some particular good I guess (I assume he'll probably be rested come the actual T20s)

21 over game (that is if it doesn't get rained off later anyway). Good to see England not changing the team based on the fact that it is virtually a T20. Think I'd maybe change the lineup so that Butler is 4 and Morgan 5/6, but other than that, keep it the same. Root needs more T20 practice anyway so this should do him some particular good I guess (I assume he'll probably be rested come the actual T20s)
Good? Why? It's now a t20 contest. You should pick your team exactly for a 21 over game. That's what it is. It's an international contest. Sri Lanka ain't walking on clean bowled mate! Bahaha.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Good? Why? It's now a t20 contest. You should pick your team exactly for a 21 over game. That's what it is. It's an international contest. Sri Lanka ain't walking on clean bowled mate! Bahaha.
What I'm trying to say is that this team as it is, is probably best suited for the T20 format as well (barring the injured Plunkett of course). I'm pleased mostly by the fact that we haven't just pushed Root out of the team for an inconsistent slogger like Hales who genuinely isn't as useful for England in T20s than Root to be honest. As meaningless t20s (anything other than the world cup basically) are the ones where Root is rested a lot, it might be a good opportunity to make sure that they don't forget about him, come the next World Cup.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Stokes ODI batting so much better than the start of his career. Accumulation/rotation come on so much. Always had the natural power and ability to hit good balls for four/six, now much better allround game. Pleasure to see.

Another efficient display by England. Hotting up now for the last few spots for the WC squad. Bad news for Dawson getting injured. TCurran and Stone both giving themselves chances of getting that last two or three spots going.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another efficient display by England. Hotting up now for the last few spots for the WC squad. Bad news for Dawson getting injured. TCurran and Stone both giving themselves chances of getting that last two or three spots going.
Can't see Dawson getting in unless Moeen or Rashid miss the tournament. Don't need more than 2 spinners in England at that time of year.

What I'm trying to say is that this team as it is, is probably best suited for the T20 format as well (barring the injured Plunkett of course). I'm pleased mostly by the fact that we haven't just pushed Root out of the team for an inconsistent slogger like Hales who genuinely isn't as useful for England in T20s than Root to be honest. As meaningless t20s (anything other than the world cup basically) are the ones where Root is rested a lot, it might be a good opportunity to make sure that they don't forget about him, come the next World Cup.
I would play Hales for sure. He's had a raw deal. I'd play Hales over Root in T20, we aren't getting bowled out in that. We can just blaze away from ball one for the highest total.

Last edited: