• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Bowlers Countdown Thread 100-1

Days of Grace

International Captain
Greetings,

Some of the veteran posters here may recall five years ago I did a Top 100 Test Batsmen countdown. There were multiple threads which can be found by searching the threads started by myself.

The project worked very well and I had tremendous feedback. Five years later (long overdue!) I have returned with the Top 100 Test Bowlers. The formula for both batting and bowling lists has been re-evaluated to my current satisfaction. Most importantly, the formula is consistent across both batting and bowling lists.

The formula for both test batsmen and bowlers is as follows:

Career runs/wickets, length of time, and great performances 10%
Overall average*, strike rate*, and points per innings (PPI)** 50%
Peak 50 innings average, strike rate, and PPI 20%
Non-home average, strike-rate, and PPI 10%
Quality opposition*** average, strike-rate, and PPI 10%

* Averages and strike-rates are adjusted by era, quality of opposition, and match conditions.
** All innings by a batsmen or bowler are given a rating (see my top 100 test batting and bowling performances thread). The PPI is the average of all innings' performances.
***I have given historical ratings to all teams across all matches. Teams with ratings of 100.00 or above are seen as quality opposition.

Average, strike-rate, and PPI are given different weight based on their perceived importance. Basically, a batsmen or bowler's points for overall, peak, home, and quality opposition consist of: ((((average*4+strike-rate*1)/5)*2)+(points per innings*1))/3

Career points consist of (((((runs/wickets*4+length*1)/5)*4)+(gold performances*3+silver performances*2+bronze performances*1))/5

Gold performances: Performances of 15.00+
Silver: 12.50-14.99
Bronze: 10.00-12.49

Hopefully I explained that well. If anyone has any questions about the rating criteria, please feel free to ask anytime. The countdown will start presently. I will endeavor to post at least three-five players a day so it expect the greatest test bowler of all time to be revealed by mid-October.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.100

Bruce Taylor (New Zealand) 646

Quality Points: 612
Career Points: 34

Bruce_Richard_Taylor_1967.jpg

Career: 1965-1973
Wickets: 111
Gold Performances: 1
7/74 vs. West Indies at Bridgetown 1972 (15.24)
Silver Performances: 2
Bronze Performances: 1

Overall Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 26.12 (26.60) 49.51 (57.06) 3.76
50 Innings Peak Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings (1965-1973): 24.88 47.55 3.89
Non-Home Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 23.17 43.75 4.21
Quality Opposition Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 32.74 59.56 2.90

All averages and strike-rates are adjusted by era, quality of opposition, and pitch conditions. Original averages and strike-rates are given in parenthesis for overall figures. Only adjusted averages and strike-rates are given for peak, non-home and quality opposition figures.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Dug out the list of DoG's 100 batsmen list he is referring to: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...100-test-batsmen-top-25-a-26.html#post3132084

PS. Please don't give this post any likes. It's all DoG's work.
Thanks for finding that! Just a note to readers that the Top 100 batsmen list from 2013 differs in its rating criteria from the current bowlers list. I will be posting a revised top 100 batsmen list in the near future as well.

Had anyone else literally never hears of him?
Bruce Taylor is regularly seen as a contender in New Zealand alltime XIs posted by members of this forum.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.99

E.A.S. Prasanna (India) 649

Quality Points: 586
Career Points: 63

100636.jpg

Career: 1962-1978
Wickets: 189
Gold Performances: 1
8/76 vs. New Zealand at Auckland 1976 (16.45)
Silver Performances: 3
Bronze Performances: 8

Overall Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 29.91 (30.38) 68.10 (75.94) 4.32
50 Innings Peak Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings (1968-1976): 26.07 56.38 5.44
Non-Home Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 32.64 72.65 3.92
Quality Opposition Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 31.48 70.62 4.13

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Career runs/wickets, length of time, and great performances 10%
Overall average*, strike rate*, and points per innings (PPI)** 50%
Peak 50 innings average, strike rate, and PPI 20%
Non-home average, strike-rate, and PPI 10%
Quality opposition*** average, strike-rate, and PPI 10%

* Averages and strike-rates are adjusted by era, quality of opposition, and match conditions.
** All innings by a batsmen or bowler are given a rating (see my top 100 test batting and bowling performances thread). The PPI is the average of all innings' performances.
***I have given historical ratings to all teams across all matches. Teams with ratings of 100.00 or above are seen as quality opposition.
Is "quality of opposition" the quality of the opposing team or quality of the bowling attack/batting lineup?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Is "quality of opposition" the quality of the opposing team or quality of the bowling attack/batting lineup?
Quality of the opposition team.

For a while, I tried adjusting by quality of batting, but there were so many variables. Should I use current average or overall career average of the opposing batsmen? Should I use the batting average of the entire team or the top 7? Etc.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quality of the opposition team.

For a while, I tried adjusting by quality of batting, but there were so many variables. Should I use current average or overall career average of the opposing batsmen? Should I use the batting average of the entire team or the top 7? Etc.
Hmm, yeah it could be complicated. But it makes more sense to consider quality of bowling attack when judging batsmen and quality of batting lineup when judging bowlers. A team with a great bowling lineup may in theory be a mediocre team if the batting is terrible but that shouldn't mean performances against that attack should be rated lower.

You did have a "current rating" for bowling attacks which you use in the top rated batting performances list don't you?

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.98

Tony Lock (England) 649

Quality Points: 590
Career Points: 59

5d97dd1764fbbe1c343cd2934dd973f9.jpg

Career: 1952-1968
Wickets: 174
Gold Performances: 2
6/20 vs. West Indies at The Oval 1957 (16.79)
7/35 vs. New Zealand at Manchester 1958 (15.18)
Silver Performances: 3
Bronze Performances: 5

Overall Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 25.42 (25.58) 65.45 (75.56) 3.78
50 Innings Peak Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings (1955-1961): 19.58 57.53 4.35
Non-Home Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 33.40 81.19 3.08
Quality Opposition Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 40.79 96.02 2.32

Days of Grace

International Captain
Hmm, yeah it could be complicated. But it makes more sense to consider quality of bowling attack when judging batsmen and quality of batting lineup when judging bowlers. A team with a great bowling lineup may in theory be a mediocre team if the batting is terrible but that shouldn't mean performances against that attack should be rated lower.

You did have a "current rating" for bowling attacks which you use in the top rated batting performances list don't you?
I did. I used the ICC ratings. That caused issues such as Philander in his debut test having a rating of 0, when we all know he was the best bowler on show in that match where Clarke scored his hundred. I played around with adjusting the ICC ratings for a long time but I finally changed to quality of opposition team about one year ago. It didn't affect the ratings of performances that much, save for Kim Hughes' century against the West Indies, which is still rated near the top 50 anyway. In the end, the match runs per wicket (which include by necessity the performance of the opposition) help to adjust any discrepancies in the opposition rating.

In addition, the adjusted averages, strike-rates and points per innings are all tied together. I found that using opposition batting and bowling lineups produced too many statistical outliers which affected the averages and strike-rates by an excessive amount. Not to mention that I would have had to calculate the quality of every single batting and bowling lineup for every innings of every test match ever played, in which case I'd have never finished.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
bruce taylor was an absolute gun but unfortunately overshadowed by that other fast bowling allrounder who came after him